wii sports: tennis, controlling your hit

frankyk

WiiChat Member
Dec 24, 2006
no matter how i hit the ball, with a slight twist of my wrist or whatever, the ball doesn't go the direction i want it to go for volleys. i mean, if i do it long enough, eventually my little top guy can hit a good side volley, but usually hit volleys go straight down the middle.

also, how do you do top spin? i just hit it hard and the ball goes just above the net quickly, is that top spin or just a fast hit?

basically, can you control your balls hits? i mean, you can control it slightly, but for volleys, it seems really hard to.

It's about timing. Try the training games and you'll get a better feel for it. If you are right handed, and swing a forehand when the ball is way out in front of you, it's going to go left. If you wait until the last minute, it goes to the right. Very similar mechanics to Wii Sports Baseball.

If you pretend you are really holding a racket in your hand, think about opening the face of the racket. This kind of hit will lob the ball upwards. Close the face (turn it towards the ground) and it's more of a line drive.

Have you ever played real baseball?

It's just like batting (in terms of direction of the ball).... timing

Yep, direction is determined by timing. On the top spin, basically all you have to do is roll your wrist over while hitting it to get top spin.

I personally just learned how to get the ball to curve with backspin. A light swing while rolling the wrist under.

Yeah. I kept trying to figure it out, always doing hard shots, almost dislocating my wrist ;)
Then tried a soft shot and it worked. It can be finnicky at times though. If you swing too softly, it won't register a shot, and swing just a bit too hard and it'll do a flat shot.

It's all about timing, even in real tennis.

Place yourself in a fixed location, in real tennis.

Hit the ball BEFORE its horizontally centered with you (you could draw a horizontal line and connect the dots, with you and the ball being dots) it will go opposite the direction you're holding the racket (if you're holding the racket to your right, the ball would go left).

If you hit the ball while it's horizontally lined up with you, it will go forward, straight.

If you hit the ball after it has passed that "horizontal connect the dots" point, it will go in the direction of the side which you're holding the racket (if you are holding the racket to your right, the ball will go right).

ok so can someone tell me

now that im getting towards pro in terms of ranking
they seem to be able to smash an ace down the line now and again (super fast)
there must be a way of doing it that i havnt found yet

key...

AussieWii said:
ok so can someone tell me

now that im getting towards pro in terms of ranking
they seem to be able to smash an ace down the line now and again (super fast)
there must be a way of doing it that i havnt found yet

to hit the power serve it is all about timing. when you throw the ball up you want to hit the ball perfectly at its peak, as in once it gets to its peak, before it starts to fall. doesnt matter how hard you swing, just if you hit it perfectly at the top. also someone said earlier that timing is how you hit cross court shots. this is true, but there is more to this. its just like real tennis, so if you swing the controller with angle on it, as in you swing the controller with the top end pointing to 4 o clock then the ball will go across court to the right. it is very sensitive and much like real tennis. ive played tennis for 11 years. and i think i like wii tennis more!!

not realy.

Hit the ball at it's peak to serve an ace (although if you're pro they ussualy hit it)

A volley in tennis is a shot hit before the ball bounces off the ground. Volleying is when both players are near the net hitting back and forth, the ball going from racket to racket without ever touching the ground.

Kepa said:
Yep, direction is determined by timing. On the top spin, basically all you have to do is roll your wrist over while hitting it to get top spin.

I personally just learned how to get the ball to curve with backspin. A light swing while rolling the wrist under.

would i dislocate, screw up my wrist really badly if i do this a lot? seems pretty bad feeling already >_<

dedpoet777 said:
to hit the power serve it is all about timing. when you throw the ball up you want to hit the ball perfectly at its peak, as in once it gets to its peak, before it starts to fall. doesnt matter how hard you swing, just if you hit it perfectly at the top. also someone said earlier that timing is how you hit cross court shots. this is true, but there is more to this. its just like real tennis, so if you swing the controller with angle on it, as in you swing the controller with the top end pointing to 4 o clock then the ball will go across court to the right. it is very sensitive and much like real tennis. ive played tennis for 11 years. and i think i like wii tennis more!!

Thanks Mate ill give it a go when i get home from work ;)

Back