Wiimote battery dies and won't charge after months of storage

Terrum

WiiChat Member
Dec 2, 2011
UK, Kent
Hi, I'm new to the forum and hope I can get some help. I have my wii stored away for a few months due to cleaning, now I have kids round and none of the wiimotes are working at all - I can charge them for about 5 seconds, and they won't charge any longer than that. When powering the wiimotes on the bar goes down very quickly, then I can't power it back on unless i stick it back on the charger for the 5 seconds it lasts to charge again. I have 4 wiimotes, and they all do the same thing. I don't know if this is some sort of protection within the hardware and there's probably some sort of easy fix, but I need to know quickly, so I'm hoping someone can help :) I am using battery packs with the docking chargers. Normal AA batteries work fine, so I'm guessing there's something wrong with the battery packs? It seems a bit strange that all 4 of them do the same thing though. Hope someone can help! Many Thanks, Terrum.

Those wiimotes chargers are tacky and I'm not surprised to hear they died of old age. Duracell and/or Energizer rechargables are the way to go.

Seconding what Skidmarx said, normal rechargeable batteries are simply better. Product-specific battery packs obviously aren't as convenient, and sometimes can be faulty (I'm looking at you, Mad Catz...).

Back