60% loss

So they can be closer to the phazon mines in California, they're planning on using it to power their next gen system. Or so i've been told........

Thundercun7 said:
So they can be closer to the phazon mines in California, they're planning on using it to power their next gen system. Or so i've been told........

*grin*

damn, who would've thought. They're doing so well and you'd think that people would stay for a bit

Nintendo wants a nice hold over the game companies this time around. This is their first real attempt at being right next to major game companies. The results? This is the method Sony used to keep exclusive games on their prior consoles. I can see why their staff quit. But they are dillusional if they think they'll just find another job. The industry is a ***** to get back into once you quit a high end job. Some will make it back in, most are gone forever. I'd say 45% of the 60% are now retired whether they like it or not, they won't get back in.

First off, as quoted in the Seattle Times or the Seattle Post Intelligencer within the span of the last few days, the majority of those offered relocation turned it down. Another article I read stated that some would be going to the Silicon Valley area (outside of San Francisco) and the rest would be going to New York City (NYC). Only 4 out of every 10 chose to relocate. Their choice and when you are talking about owning homes, kids in local schools, family roots in the area, etc... you really shouldn't just assume that these people's lives revolve around Nintendo and that they would all just automatically be chomping at the bit to pack up their lives/families and move to NYC.

When questioned about it by the media, Reggie Fils-Aimes responded to the ongoing rumor mill by saying some things about wanting to be closer to the major marketing firms/agencies/partners in New York City because apparently this wasn't possible in Seattle (Redmond) area. Additionally, when considering the group moving to Silicon Valley, the apparent logic behind that was so that Nintendo would have a closer presence/relationship with the game developers who develop products for the Nintendo Wii. I highly doubt that this is the only reason however.

It is funny and a little bit ironic when you consider how much of the Microsoft presence is located no more than 1 mile away from the Nintendo of America campus and literally all of the Microsoft in house (including Bungie) game development is being done in the Seattle area. You don't see Microsoft breaking down doors trying to relocated to NYC and the Silicon Valley just so they can be closer to their partners. Then again, Microsoft dictates most (if not everything) of its terms and its partners largely "saddle up to the table" and listen. I don't see how Microsoft's partners really have any choice but to listen. Nintendo probably realizes that they simply don't have that kind of "pull" and is taking this step, as Reggie Fils-Ames stated, "with the wind at their back".

Final point, if you have never been to the Pacific Northwest, namely the Seattle area or east of Lake Washington (Bellevue/Redmond) where lies the heart of the Microsoft and Nintendo of America empires, then you probably WOULD have a hard time understanding why somebody might not want to just "up and move" to NYC or the Silicon Valley area of California.

Frankly, I have to commend those people who did stay in the area because, as far as I am concerned, nothing about the metropolitan NYC area beats the clean air, salt water bays, fresh water lakes, the Cascade and Olympic mountain ranges which encircle the Seattle/Puget Sound area, or best of all the looming 14,410 foot tall Mount Rainer standing like a sentinel just to the south of the Seattle area.

Just my two pennies, but you might say I'm a bit judgemental on the subject... These people will likely all have jobs (or at least a very good shot at jobs) with Microsoft Game Studios or Microsoft's marketing department before the year is up...

-Chewie

Last edited:
The industry forces people to relocate all the time. Eidos relocated hundreds of employees from the USA to Montreal Quebec. Why? To save money (Yes it's a retarded system). It's also like a food chain. If you relocate enough companies into certain areas of the planet, the more major companies have to choose to follow, or stay where they are. I personally believe the game industry fears long distance communication. More times I get requests that I meet them in person rather the use of email, phone calls, or even MSN. The game industry doesn't have a union. If they want to do lame crap like that, no one can stop them.

Back