Can i use my cable connection?

newnagasaki

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
Hello, i plan on getting a Nintendo Wii pretty soon (2morrow morning if im lucky) and i want to be able to connect to the internet, but i dont have a wireless internet connection. But i do have broadband cable connection which my computer is running on. I was wondering, can i somehow use my non wireless cable connection to connect my future wii to the internet with a ethernet cord or usb device somehow?
EDIT: Does the wii come with some sort of modem that i can connect an internet cable cord to and the modem will connect to the wii through usb or something?

Last edited:
hi guys\girls. not sure if this is the right thread.. but I have a NTL cable modem at home wiich I connect to my PC via usb. I tried plugging this in to the Wii via the usb port but it wouldn't connect to the net. I thought that as I have usb already I wouldn't need an ethernet to usb connector. can anyone offer any advise on this? would be much appreciated. thanks :)

Carl

Also, i was wondering, can i buy a cable modem and connect that to my internet connection, then connect the modem to a usb ethernet adapter, and then connect it to the wii?

Picture example:

cable-modem-ch.jpg

connected to:

cable-modem-intro.jpg

connected to:
ie_fc_patchleitungen_big.jpg

connected to the Nintendo wii usb 2.0 ethernet adapter (coming out January, who thats what i heard)

which connects to the wii?

Will this setup also work?

Last edited:
You can't just plug in a LAN cable or USB connection to your broadband.
Either you need a LAN adapter (not available yet) or the Official DS USB wireless adapter that plugs into your PC. The other options are to get a wireless router (about £40) or a wireless card for your PC (£15) then configure it properly (which can be done, but may be slightly tortuous).

I'm not talking about connecting anything to my pc. My pc and my future wii will be in 2 different rooms that are almost 2 rooms apart. The only thing that is suitable for the wii to connect to the internet is through wireless, or its own connection to our broadband internet (not using our computer what so ever)

And my pc is currently "just plugged into" my internet connection through a cable modem, a ethernet cord, and a cable cord. (cable cord is similar to the 1st picture in my previous post) I was thinking that i can get a whole new cable modem just for the wii use then connect the cable cord to it, then connect the ethernet cord to the modem, then the other end of the ethernet cord to Nintendo usb 2.0 ethernet adapter thats suppose to be coming out in January, will that be able to work?

Ic, so can i do the same thing he did without the router? Can i use a modem to replace the router?

Back