can't connect to WEP protected wireless network

hajime7

WiiChat Member
Mar 26, 2007
Hi Everyone, I've just got my Wii (Yes!) and tried to connect wirelessly but everytime I enter the WEP network password for my wireless network, Wii tells me I have it wrong (Noooo!) I've double checked the password and my 2 other computers are able to log on just fine. Wondering if it's a network compatability issue, I took the network security option off from the network off and Wii is able to log on and download stuff just fine. I'd like to keep my network secure so it'd be great to figure out a way to fix this. Any thoughts? My configuration: Apple Airport Express, WEP 128 bit encrypted network. Thanks in advance!

hmm, idk, it'd kind of suck but you could always just not be connected until you need to download something and then take the protection off of it, hmm... idk

hajime7 said:
Hi Everyone, I've just got my Wii (Yes!) and tried to connect wirelessly but everytime I enter the WEP network password for my wireless network, Wii tells me I have it wrong (Noooo!) I've double checked the password and my 2 other computers are able to log on just fine. Wondering if it's a network compatability issue, I took the network security option off from the network off and Wii is able to log on and download stuff just fine. I'd like to keep my network secure so it'd be great to figure out a way to fix this. Any thoughts? My configuration: Apple Airport Express, WEP 128 bit encrypted network. Thanks in advance!

hop over to www.nintendowifi.com

lots of lovely help there that is router specific......

Wii does work with WEP........ dumb questions time!

you did enter it as a WEP key and not WPA etc?

you have entered the key, not password?

Thanks Stranger and captainff, I still can't seem to figure it out. captainff, I'm not sure what you mean by a "key" vs a password. How do I find where that is?

hajime7 said:
Thanks Stranger and captainff, I still can't seem to figure it out. captainff, I'm not sure what you mean by a "key" vs a password. How do I find where that is?

WEP keys are generally 10 characters long and case sensitive

passwords are sometimes used to generate the keys for use on a PC.....

if that helps

Wondering problem... i use linksys router,no problem to appear

hey people,

i had the same problem, then had to dig a bit deeper in the Airport Admin Utility, check out MAC address filtering, you have to add the MAC address of your Wii, into the settings in the Admin Utility. (almost like putting your name on the guest list)

I did this, tried to reconnect, and BOOM! wireless internet and News and Weather.

try it, im sure you will be able to get it on. I've only tried this out on an Airport Express Basestation. Other routers should work, in the same way, but dont sue me if it doesnt.

Doug's Wii

Hey I figured it out! According to my Airport Express manual, I needed to change my network password to exactly 13 letters! Macs can deal with any length but apparently non-macs have to have an exact amount of letters to understand it. Thanks for everyone's suggestions but that seems to have done the trick.

ah man. i tried changing the mac address and now my internet dont wrk. im using my neighbours connection with my wii!! WATS HAPPENED???
:mad5:

Back