First things first...

katharsis

WiiChat Member
Nov 23, 2007
Hello everyone,

just registered and this is my first post here.
I just got back from GameStop where I was able to get a Wii, finally! Only got the console and an additional controller for now as I am browsing the net for a game that I'd like to pick up on my way home from work today.
I came across a thread where they were talking about a SD memory card for the console. Do I need one when I would like to download old games? And also, can I use any SD card or does it have to be the specific Wii version? I have several 2GB and a 4GB for my camera which would be nice to use so I can spend more money on games.
Also any suggestions on accessories?

Thanks

hey, welcome to the forums..you dont really need the sd card unless you are planning on using the photo channel alot(but for this you can use your cameras sd card ofcourse:p) or storing ALOT of virtual console games, its not necessary yet, you wont run out of internal memory for a while, buy a game (super mario galaxy if you can find it, i recommend it)

Hey bro, welcome to the forums.

Nice job snagging one today, you're lucky! I just bought mine 2 days ago, I'm new here too.

Get that bad-boy hooked up to the internet, run some system updates, and share your Online Code and start adding people from the forums.

Enjoy the system, I'm confident you'll be very happy with it.

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your quick answer... not sure about the photo channel thing, yet. I am really new to the whole Wii experience. I have a PS3 and 360 and love 'em both, however I keep hearing so many good things about the Wii and my wife loves the old school games (still got an original NES in the house, which of course takes about half an hour to get one of those game cartridges to work).

Good that I can use our regular SD cards :)

I will have a look at Super Mario Galaxy for sure...

Any recommended threads or sites where I can see what the Wii can do??

Thanks

You will need a points card for it if you want to download VC games (you can use a credit card)

Check some of the threads in the VC lounge for recomended games

As far as seeing what it can do the wii can do very little its the wiimote that dose things (theres a few threads about it )

Hey welcome to the forum. One thing the Wii can do is play games over the internet. However, it may cost you a certain amount of points to download the Opera Internet Browser. If you do end up purchasing the Opera Browser go to www.google.com and search internet games for the Wii and something should come up.

Hey there, welcome to WiiChat. Regarding your question:
Yes, you can use any brand of SD card up to 4GB, although some SD cards do seem to give some problems. Happy gaming.

Awesome!

Thanks so much for your replies to everyone and the warm welcome (you don't get that very often on forums nowadays)

I am really excited and wish I could just leave and go home to play already, oh well another 4 1/2 hrs :D

Will definitely pick up a game and maybe also stop by Blockbuster to see what kind of rentals they got to figure out exactly what kind of games we will enjoy most.

Now I saw you can download all the old NES SNES etc games for Wii points ... any idea how much 100 points are converted into US $ ?

1 point = 1 cent.

so essentially, a nes game is 5 bucks, snes and sega are 8, n64 is 10, etc.

pretty basic stuff.

as far as getting some wii games, the big three (mario galaxy, zelda: tp, and metroid prime 3) are spectacular single player games. in fact, any of the games down below in my signature i would highly recommend, but it all depends on what kind of games you like to play. personally, im more of a single player adventure guy, and i don't really get into the party games and whatnot. but to each his own.

Welcome to WiiChat.
Hope to see you round soon, and investing in the Virtual Console library is never a bad idea.
So many good games there :D

Back