help connecting wii to internet with dsl

fakemxcan

WiiChat Member
Nov 16, 2006
ok, so we are planning on getting a wii for my lil sister in the next couple of days right. Unfortunately her high speed internet is DSL. I gave her my old wireless router but it wont work with the DSL line because you have to dial to get on a DSL internet line. So i have a couple of questions....

1)does anyone know if you can have a wireless internet connection with DSL, like is that even possible?
2)if yes, any tips for me on how to do it?
3)if not, will it be possible to get on with a usb cable connected to the wii? and if so how do you sign on to your dsl line with the wii?

fakemxcan said:
ok, so we are planning on getting a wii for my lil sister in the next couple of days right. Unfortunately her high speed internet is DSL. I gave her my old wireless router but it wont work with the DSL line because you have to dial to get on a DSL internet line. So i have a couple of questions....

1)does anyone know if you can have a wireless internet connection with DSL, like is that even possible?
2)if yes, any tips for me on how to do it?
3)if not, will it be possible to get on with a usb cable connected to the wii? and if so how do you sign on to your dsl line with the wii?

1) Is your DSL line serve DHCP address or PPPoE. It sounds like its PPPoE when you say it requires dialing.
2) Any Linksys wireless router (wrt54g) will work. They support PPPoE.
3) The WII won't do any dialing. You'll have to go through a wire or wireless router to take care of the dialing.

oh ok, thank you so much!! im not sure if its dhcp or pppoe, how do i find that out? but like you said, you have to sign in and it connects by dialing so it must be pppoe. since it prob is that kind i guess ill have to get that router, thank you so much for this info

Double check the setup of the wireless router you gave her, most of them do PPPOE. And form what you said about her dialing, I would guess that it is in fact PPPOE, but it is also prob DHCP also (they are two totally different things and completely unrelated to each other). Check with the ISP to get the details (if you don't know how to dig them out of her computer).

Back