LINUX OS on the Wii™

Without a harddrive, linux OS will be pointless since the amount of applications will be limited. IMO this will always be infererior to a PC, and you can always just use a wiimote or 360 controller on a pc if thats your hangup.

Also the article says that the release version of this potential software will not have any illegal components. Im sure nintendo realizes that despite its legal intentions, it is a doorway to usage of their system in a way they would disapprove of.

All im saying is that it doesnt seem likely that nintendo will say sure why not.

KyleForMe said:
Without a harddrive, linux OS will be pointless since the amount of applications will be limited.

With a linux install, they could easily mount an HD, regardless of what the native OS supports.

I've been following the WiiLi project for a few months - the front end problem is allowing a downloaded disk or homebrew from an SD loader to run to boot another OS (since it also opens up the system for more hack-age).

Depending on where the development goes, it would be fun to fool around with, but not if you have to install a modchip.

~DT

well i think that linux would've been a great addition to the Wii..

I've heard PS3 added it so why not the Wii?!

It would've been so great and another good use for the keyboard XD

phillepino said:
This would be really amazing addition for the WiiWare exclusively for the Wii.

An operating system from linux!

Support from Wii users are needed so please sign the petition!

http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Nintendo_petition

that's the link!

This would be awesome for the WIii!

Woop!

I love Linux, and use Ubuntu 6.06 exclusively. However, I don't see the point in having a different operating system on a games console (besides to show off to friends).

Back