The legend of Nintendo and RPG's - What do you think?

songwriter15

WiiChat Member
Feb 22, 2007
Hi all
I don't think anyone ( who's old enough to remember or who's into rpg's full stop!! ) would deny the legacy of "legendary" rpg's that NIntendo, and the SNES in particular, left to the gaming universe?

Since the N64 and then through the Cube and now the Wii ( early days for the Wii, obviously ) the number of "genuine" rpg's that Nintendo owners have had the chance to experience and enjoy, has been few to say the least.

We've been blessed ( and, no, I don't apologise for using the word! ) with a wonderous sequence of Zelda classics, and the odd rpg "type" release over the past 10 years, but, in the main, the forefront of rpg development, creativity, and releases, has been passed to "other console formats"!

I know, only too well, that it was simply the "size" of the 64's carts that started the exodous of developers from Nintendo to other pastures, but those days are now well and truly gone and I can see very few obstacles in the way of the Wii becoming the new "home" of the classic rpg......if people want them?

So......what do you think?

Do Wii owners in general still want the incredible experience of playing for 60+ hours through the story, action, and evolution, which only a great rpg can provide.....or are, maybe, those days gone forever?

Looking at the way gamers still salivate at the news of a new "FF" release, my opinion would be: No! The desire amongst a massive proprtion of the gaming public to play these unique games is still well and truly alive!

So will we get a healthy, regular release of rpg's for our favourite console....and do you want them?

What do you think?

Cheers
Chris

in my opinion, if you want an rpg go to wal mart and buy a computer game, its so true wat u said, u can hardly find a real rpg whether it be real time or turnbased. like pokemon for the portable systems....wow!! that was the best turnbased rpg ever on a portable system ( of course i would never play that now ) but they did a good job on that game, and i think gaming companies are emphasizing graphics and such too much and losing gameplay...just my two cents, nice thread btw.

Earthbound, Zelda, Chrono Trigger, Harvest Moon, Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy, Paper Mario.
All excellent RPGS.

I can definitely see the Wii becoming a new home to the RPG as the SNES once was.
Although I see the Wiimote peripheral as more of an action tool.
I could see many a RPG on this system.
As a Wii owner, I have to admit Zelda was excellent and I'm excited for more RPGs to come.

well... i think your right about the wii getting more rpgs than the cube or 64 did, but i cant imagine them getting the same amount of rpgs that the snes did. i do figure that the ps3, 360, and wii will have close to even rpgs

scubasteve said:
in my opinion, if you want an rpg go to wal mart and buy a computer game, its so true wat u said, u can hardly find a real rpg whether it be real time or turnbased. like pokemon for the portable systems....wow!! that was the best turnbased rpg ever on a portable system ( of course i would never play that now ) but they did a good job on that game, and i think gaming companies are emphasizing graphics and such too much and losing gameplay...just my two cents, nice thread btw.

Thats microsoft, who just buy their games, which suck anyways.

Sony buys some of their games, which do havea point and are somewhat..... dare i say? no its just Ok, kingdom hearts, final fantasy, those are the only sreise games sony has. (LOOK AT MY SIG ITS TRUE ITS TRUE!)

Wii needs to have rpgs lol, especially like ff or a chrono sequel :p or a tales of ...., fir emblem also :p, those games kick ass, does anyone have any info about harvest moon no wii !?????

RPGs KIck asS.........Specially Japanese Style , wich have been really forgotten over the past years *cry* for example chrono series :(

Last edited:
Back