UK/USA Compatible?

ybnormal6

WiiChat Member
Jan 10, 2007
I recently purchased a Wii on Ebay, I can't beleive I didn't notice that the Wii would be coming from the UK. I have received the Wii, purchased an adapter so that I can plug it in and play, and when I do, the screen has a constant scrolling, horizontal line. I can see that the screen would like me to choose a language, and also to set the date, but I can hardly read the screen with the scrolling line going constantly.
Did I completely drop the ball and buy a system that I cannot use in the US?
Is there anything I can do to make it work?
I am grateful for any help you can give me, thank you.

Did I completely drop the ball and buy a system that I cannot use in the US?

Yes.. unless you can find a tv that supports PAL ( 50 htz ) .. also you knackered with games also... you`ll have to buy UK ones.. US ones won`t work on your console sa per region locking..

:mad2:

Thank you, I think I may cry.
I wonder if I am best off to sell it back to the UK.
Wow, live and learn I guess.

how much did you pay for it ?

thought they were a lot cheaper in the states ?

£180 retail here which is about $350.

I have to be honest and tell you that I paid way to much, I was SO wanting my son to have one for Christmas. I paid...GBP 394.99, which is an embarrasing $766.00 here in the States.
I think I am going to put it back on Ebay and sell it to someone in the UK. I don't know what else I can do.

i hope u learnt your lesson boy.
Never use ebay, i heard people put bricks in wii boxes and sell it for how many hundreds.
Over here people are DESPERATE for wiis that are constantly out of stock so u can probably make a healthy profit selling it back to the Uk.

Wow, YES, this girl did learn her lesson. I seriously doubt that I will do nothing but loose money in this entire endeavor. AND...I still want to get a Wii for my son. Now I have to probably pay to much for one here.

I bought mine off ebay for 384 including shipping and insurance. On ebay they have to post their user name and receipt in a picture with the gmae. The user name must match their ebay name. Its safe for sure. U just have to pay a bit of inflated price like I did. Not 700 though

Go to a Gamestop or something and trade it in, get some credit or cash, and when you find a North American one, viola.

Check this out, my son and I went to Gamestop this morning at 6 am, we waited for 4 hours, and when they opened up the store they told us they had 1 Wii - which is now on my coffee table!
as for selling the one I already have, I don't know if there any more dumb people like me around that would buy a UK console, even Gamestop.
What do you think?

mk_south_london's spot on - there's a major shortage and a lot of people wanting them... Post it back onto eBay and in the write up explain what happened along with a link back to this thread... Sure you'll get some interest

Prices are as mad as they were before Chrimbo, but they're still around £200 - £250 ($375 - $450 ish) - Just make sure it shows up on the uk listings...

Good luck with that :)

Back