Why is Wii Music put down so much?

Boomer

WiiChat Member
Jan 26, 2009
I read a lot here and on the internet, and I often see Wii Music listed as one of the worst games put out by Nintendo.

I got it about a week ago, and I'm having a blast with it. It's not Guitar Hero or Rock Band (both of which I have and play a lot) but it was never meant to be. It's something different... rather than imitate what you see on the screen, the game encourages you to play around and make each song into something different. What it sets out to do, it does very well.

Sure their are problems. Some of the instruments don't sound as good as they could, among other things. But there's something about taking Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and making a punk version out it that I find quite fun and satisfying.

I'm not saying it's for everybody. I'm just saying I think it's a very good game and not an embarrassment for Nintendo and surely not shovelware.

Agree? Disagree?

I've never played the game, but I've seen videos. It doesn't look all that bad, but I'll have to play it for myself. I don't quite understand how it could be too awful.

its b/c people think videogames should only be designed for the 'hardcore' gamers, and not the general public. also some people just have a pickle up their ass.

I'm just saying I think it's a very good game and not an embarrassment for Nintendo and surely not shovelware.

Agree? Disagree?

Agree.

There's a lot of depth to Wii Music that most people will never find because they look at the visuals (or the list of songs) and turn their noses up. That it teaches music theory in an accessible way, that it allows you to perform all of the parts to a song to personalise it, that it rewards you the more you play it seems to get missed by people who want to dismiss it.

I love it (does it show?) and think that, like all of the other "Wii" titles, it engages players in a non-threatening way, uses the wiimote to tease them into exploring the game, then allows them the space to get involved in the game. 'Hardcore'? no. Shovelware? no. Great? yes

It's something new, I'll give it that. A friend of mine was going to sell it and I asked him if I could borrow it before he did. I thought it was garbage, it's a fifty dollar toy with a small selection of childish songs/nintendo songs. I especially thought it was garbage because it's been a ball tossed around the idea table ever since the early stages of the Wii.

Last edited:
I read a lot here and on the internet, and I often see Wii Music listed as one of the worst games put out by Nintendo.

I got it about a week ago, and I'm having a blast with it. It's not Guitar Hero or Rock Band (both of which I have and play a lot) but it was never meant to be. It's something different... rather than imitate what you see on the screen, the game encourages you to play around and make each song into something different. What it sets out to do, it does very well.

Sure their are problems. Some of the instruments don't sound as good as they could, among other things. But there's something about taking Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and making a punk version out it that I find quite fun and satisfying.

I'm not saying it's for everybody. I'm just saying I think it's a very good game and not an embarrassment for Nintendo and surely not shovelware.

Agree? Disagree?

I disagree because it is just ****.

I agree. I actually liked the game a lot (I don't have it but played it once). I think its something original and, as you said, it's not like guitar hero at all. Of course it doesn't have the best graphics but it is pretty fun to play and in some instruments, like the drums, it is very realistic and very similar to playing a reall drumkit. I played it with friends and we had some good time with it. So yeah, I don't think it is something Nintendo should feel embarassed for, its quite a good game.

Wii Music bad? No. Is it good? Again, no. ..In the middle? No.

Wii Music is all about opinion, how it is depends on the eyes of the beholder. Personally in my eyes, it's not a game. It's just an over expensive toy. Certainly not worth $50, or my time. Being dependant on the buyer is only the fun value of the game, not the game being good or bad. Terrible games appeal to someone, after all.

It's not a game in the slightest sense. Computer programs that are possibly free can do the exact same thing - and even at a greater extent. The only difference is the rolly polly Miis playing the instruments and the fact it's on the Wii.

No boundaries, no challenges, no direction.. not even a significant purpose for playing the game. Hence, it's a toy, not a "game" in my view.

Now, before I get flamed and/or attacked for my ruthless opinion, I'm not comparing it with Guitar Hero or any other music games. I'm comparing it with nothing - I just think it's crap. Hell, I even hate Guitar Hero but it's still a good game. Wii Music, not so much. I hate it, and for good reason.

It's just Nintendo increasing their profits.. except this time, it's a bad "game" they created.

I think it would be a great way to teach kids about music theory, although I don't have any kids so that's really just a theory too.

To me, shovelware = bad graphics, bad control responsiveness, general rush-to-market lack of quality, and the main goal is to make a fast buck off of kids (I'm thinking all the Petz games, Party Babies, quickie movie-themed games that are thrown together to coincide with the movie release).

Wii Music is a different sort of game. I don't think it is shovelware, but it definitely is not built to appeal to the typical goal-based gamer. They clearly put a lot of work into it but didn't quite know how to market it. There is a lot of depth for a family that is into music and music theory, a fun thing to play together and create songs. But it is obviously not for everybody, it's kind of a niche game in that respect.

I have it, but I have to admit I don't play it very often. I probably will keep it because I like the concept, but it is rare that I'm in the mood for it. Though playing the "cat costume" is totally hilarious and maybe if I got high more often I'd be playing more regularly!

Back