Wii Disc Drive

Mr. Pickle

WiiChat Member
Jul 12, 2010
For a while now my Wii has refused to read discs. It says "Unable to read the disc" whenever I put any of my games in. I realize I'm mostly likely going to have to send my Wii in for repair, but one thing bothers me. Sometimes when I put a game in it will magically work, this only happens on the rarest occasions, but happens nonetheless. It seems if my disc drive was broken, no game would ever work. Is there some explanation for why sometimes it will work, even though it usually seems completely broken?

I don't know mine just broke a few days ago also. I'm going to be brave and sending it in. 85 is a lot but it is still half of a new one. And comes with 1 year warentee. Or they replace it if they can't fix it. Gamestop has used ones 129 dollars but only 30 days warentee. So nintendo is best for now. Or on ebay they were selling the repair service for only 60. But for 25 more I get piece of mid and 1 year warentee. If it breaks again then blame nintendo. Otherwise they will say not our fault. So just go with nintendo.

Hi all,

I'm having the same problem with my wii disc drive. I have decided to replace the drive after failed attempts to replace the lazer, but do not know which disc drive to get. There are a few different models i.e D2A, D2B, D2C i believe my chipset is a GTC-D2E. Does any one know if a D2C disc drive will work? Does it make a difference?

Thanks

~try at own risk~ I think any dvd drive would work. If you have a spare or old computer you can always try with the dvd drive from that. Can't hurt.

It is actually a pretty simple explanation on why they brake, cd drives for any video game consoles are abused by the way it reads. A movie will be constantly reading in one direction, but the video game will have to go back and forward depending on what the user do on the game. So they tend to wear 10x faster than a regular dvd drive. and if you send it to nintendo they will exchange your wii for another. what they do is put yours in a bin and send one that has been fixed. that way they keep them rolling and you will recieve a letter saying "we could not fixed it so here is another one".

hey everyone, i had the same problem and i sent my wii back and they returned it back to me about 2 days later with a letter that sayed:

Dear customer this is a usual problem that occurs on the wii, all it means is that the wii has been on a bit to long and the fan at the back gets a bit too hot, so when the fan gets hot it is not keeping the inside of the wii cool, then it overheats and stops reading games,

other solution: some games have more detail on them and you need more memory on your wii, eg: i have bully scholarship edition and i tried to play it and it kept saying unable to read disc, and then i inserted an sd card and it worked fine,,

i hope this helps you all :)

It is actually a pretty simple explanation on why they brake, cd drives for any video game consoles are abused by the way it reads. A movie will be constantly reading in one direction, but the video game will have to go back and forward depending on what the user do on the game. So they tend to wear 10x faster than a regular dvd drive. and if you send it to nintendo they will exchange your wii for another. what they do is put yours in a bin and send one that has been fixed. that way they keep them rolling and you will recieve a letter saying "we could not fixed it so here is another one".

Not true. I sent mine in and got the same unit back , not another one.

Back