Wii on Apple Cinema Display

troyboydesign

WiiChat Member
Jan 29, 2007
Wii Online Code
4438-2628-8714-1166
Im trying to figure out if there is a way to hook up the Wii (Component Cables) to the Apple Cinema Display (DVI). I have narrowed it down to these products...

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-10z-49-en-70-1rch.html - The Wii Component Cables

http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2537967 - DVI Adapter

http://sewelldirect.com/gefendvimate.asp - Male to Female DVI Converter (because the Cinema Display is Male and so is the DVI Adapter).

I really want a Wii, but im only going to get it if I can hook it up to the Cinema Display (so I can keep it in my room) and I don’t know anything about DVI. Can anyone help? Would this work?

That all should work; emphasis on should. DVI is the highest video quality you can get next to an HDTV. I would probably say go with MadCatz component cables as they're a trusted brand for video cables. I don't know about either of those a adapters, but I'd say search a little harder for a component-to-dvi-adapter that has a female connection if it is true that the Apple Cinema Display's connector is male, that way you are doing the least amount of video converting possible. The only thing you'll be lacking is audio, unless there is either an adapter with the red and white connectors or if you have some speakers with those inputs.

Hope that helps.:)

Those displays are damn nice looking; just wondering, what size do you have?:D

I know, a one shot "Component-to-DVI-adapter that has a female connection" would be an ideal solution, but i cant find one for the life of me.

I have a 23" Cinema Display. I would have bought the 30", but I measured my desk and it wouldn't even fit on it!!!!!

i'll just hook it up to my stereo if i can get it to work, since the Cinema Display doesn't have speakers.

STOP!!! it WILL NOT work. The DVI adapter isn't the right one. You wont get any good out of that because its the wrong direction. read the adapter on that ATI site. It doesn't match. it converts DVI to HDTV(component), not HDTV to DVI. That is the wrong direction- it doesn't go both ways. Make sure you don't get that adapter.

You could use something like this http://www.hdtvsupply.com/cotohdco.html

After investigating further it doesn't look too good. This page at apple

http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html

does not list 720x480 as a supported resolution, so it looks like it will not display anything even if you do hook it up.

I had the same issue with a VGA box and my cube. My LCD monitor would not display 640x480 the lowest it would go was 800x600.

You could get a box with a scaler to upscale the picture but the results might not be great. Or you could get a TV tuner for your mac/pc and run it through that on composite

Last edited:
It looks like it has coax, svideo, and the video signal from a composite lead.

You will not be able to use your component cables and will have to get dual phono to 3.5mm jack cable to run to your line in on your sound card.

Alternatively you could hook up the phonos to a stereo or home cinema system.

Looks like it should work though

Just an update everyone...
I got both the Elgato EyeTV and the Wii and it works great!!!

While the EyeTV blows chunks for actual television watching (it'd probably be better if I hooked it up to cable), it is perfect for what i wanted - getting the Wii onto my Cinema Display. There is absolutely no slow down. The image is admittedly a bit blurred blown up like this to fill the entire screen, but the EyeTV has an input for S-Video, so I am going to pick up a cable tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help everyone!!!

troyboydesign said:
Just an update everyone...
I got both the Elgato EyeTV and the Wii and it works great!!!

While the EyeTV blows chunks for actual television watching (it'd probably be better if I hooked it up to cable), it is perfect for what i wanted - getting the Wii onto my Cinema Display. There is absolutely no slow down. The image is admittedly a bit blurred blown up like this to fill the entire screen, but the EyeTV has an input for S-Video, so I am going to pick up a cable tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help everyone!!!

Nice, that looks cool, I'll do the same with my Mac Pro soon
but I just have 2 questions
Was the Wii on the wide screen mode when you took that photo?? because there are two black bars...
and did you get the S-Video cable ?? do you see any picture quality different after using it ??

Cheers

hms_84....
Yeah, those black bars are a constant thorn in my side. The EyeTV does support S-Video and i DID go pick up some S-Video Wii cables from best buy. The image quality does improve a bit (not much). But i cant get it to go widescreen at all. The Wii menu has a setting for TV resolution, but the 1080 option isnt available to me. I guess you have to have component cables for that (not supported by the EyeTV)

Hi Troyboydesign,

I've got a few questions with regards using EyeTV to connect a Wii to a mac. My decesion to buy an iMac kinda rests on if it's possible to acceptable use it to play Wii on.

How have you found it? Does it run smoothly, or does it studder? Any issues with lag?

Any help would be very much appreciated! thanks.

yes you can. the cheapest solution that i found was the Elgato EyeTV. I dont notice any slow down issues.

Awesome set up.
I'm glad someone made a thread about this.
I was looking into doing the same thing.

Back