Wii remote and driving games

austinAlan

WiiChat Member
Aug 30, 2007
I'm beginning to think that the Wii remote really isn't a good steering wheel the way that companies are trying to use it. Simply holding the wiimote on each side feels too loose and flimsy. It doesn't really translate well into the game either. Look at the new Need for Speed videos of gameplay: http://media.wii.ign.com/media/910/910242/vids_1.html

that doesn't look easy and they player is having trouble.

Why not have the nunchuck be the left hand on the steering wheel and the wiimote be the right? Maybe that with a wheel accessory that locked them together would be the best.

i havnt played a wii racing game, but would imagine as there is no feedback or resistance in the steering, it could cause a problem?
If i use a game steering wheel i like it to actually feel like a car's steering wheel.
Maybe I'll buy a PC steering wheel, and selotape my wiimote to it, so atleast there is some resistance!!

I think it's works great for ExciteTruck. I haven't played any other Wii driving games though.

llol_slim said:
i havnt played a wii racing game, but would imagine as there is no feedback or resistance in the steering, it could cause a problem?
If i use a game steering wheel i like it to actually feel like a car's steering wheel.
Maybe I'll buy a PC steering wheel, and selotape my wiimote to it, so atleast there is some resistance!!

This is the point i was thinking too. Lack of resistance kills any realism. But your idea of fitting the wii remote into a pc steering wheel which does offer realistic feel is a cool idea.

Skippy said:
I think it's works great for ExciteTruck. I haven't played any other Wii driving games though.

I played Excite Truck once for a couple of hours. I was able to do it but it never felt that good. Having said that it certainly is better than having to buy an additional steering wheel in order to play a game like that.

Yeah it needs resistance, feedback and formula 1/indy car shifters.

I have NFS:Carbon and I have found that it just takes a little gettin used to. Racing with wiimote is probably the best way to drive. My only problem with the wiimote is that the buttons aren't pressure sensitive.

wot about the wii wheel thats going to be released with mario kart thats bound to make life way better. i have excite truck and well its playable but it just dont feel real in anyway

ive played NFS carbon on wii and i think using the wiimote as a steering wheel is great.. i had problems at first but if you drive in real life you should have no problems with this... drifting was much easier using the wiimote as the wheel.

mr wii said:
wot about the wii wheel thats going to be released with mario kart thats bound to make life way better.

Thats exactly what I was going to say

I always found it a bit weird that the Wiimote was heavier on the right than on the left, due to the shape and location of the rumble and batteries. The Wiimote Jackets seem to fix it though, the bulge at the top of the 'mote balances it out and makes an easier grip.

As for realistic resistance...well, that's just something you'll have to get over, I guess. But since you can steer a real steering wheel one and a half rotations each way, and in comparison you can't practically turn the Wiimote over 90 degrees, I don't think people should be looking for realism per say.

Back