Wii remote messed up

bewst

WiiChat Member
Nov 21, 2006
First, let me start off by saying hello to everyone here at wiichat.com.

With that said I'll get right into it. My problem is that when playing Red Steel my crosshair just decides to center itself on the screen for a second or so. When it does this I lose all functionality to the remote and nunchuck. It only happens for a bit, but its enough to really mess up a precisely aimed head shot :-D.

It's almost like the remote is losing signal to the Wii, but the lights stay on on the remote and I am sitting whithin 5 feet of the sensor bar and the Wii itself.

I have only noticed this so far with Red Steel, but not with Call of Duty 3 or Legend of Zelda, although I did not play either of them to the extent that I played Red Steel.

I have the sensor bar placed on top of the TV, also using the sensor bar stand.

Any idea on what could be causing this problem? I also did try using another controller (a second one that I bought) which also does the same thing. I've tried just about everything I can think of (re-syncing, moving the sensor bar etc.) So any insight on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Um, unplug the sensor bar and plug it back in, or turn it off and then unplug everything and plug it back in, that might work

Messykitty414 said:
Um, unplug the sensor bar and plug it back in, or turn it off and then unplug everything and plug it back in, that might work

Just gave this a shot, still the same thing. Also tried blocking the dvd player I have sitting behind the sensor bar and anything else reflective around it. Still no go.

bewst said:
First, let me start off by saying hello to everyone here at wiichat.com.

With that said I'll get right into it. My problem is that when playing Red Steel my crosshair just decides to center itself on the screen for a second or so. When it does this I lose all functionality to the remote and nunchuck. It only happens for a bit, but its enough to really mess up a precisely aimed head shot :-D.

It's almost like the remote is losing signal to the Wii, but the lights stay on on the remote and I am sitting whithin 5 feet of the sensor bar and the Wii itself.

I have only noticed this so far with Red Steel, but not with Call of Duty 3 or Legend of Zelda, although I did not play either of them to the extent that I played Red Steel.

I have the sensor bar placed on top of the TV, also using the sensor bar stand.

Any idea on what could be causing this problem? I also did try using another controller (a second one that I bought) which also does the same thing. I've tried just about everything I can think of (re-syncing, moving the sensor bar etc.) So any insight on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
a little off topic here but wut do u think about red steel?

xxwiiwiifanxx said:
a little off topic here but wut do u think about red steel?

I enjoy it. I think the graphics may be a bit sub-par, but its all about the gameplay for me. I can tell you this, I would be 100x happier with it if I was actually able to aim at a baddie without my controller bonking out on me.

Have you tried messing with the Sensor Bar settings? Make sure you set it to a level to which theres no dots when you point the remote anywhere else other than the TV screen (There's supposed to be only 2 dots blinking when the remote is pointed anywhere on the TV ). Note that when you lower it, it supposedly lowers the distance connectivity between the remote and the sensor bar... If you have any lights turned on, or something
The remote is very sensitive to light, even sunlight, reflective surfaces.. ( what a pain lol)

Miragepie said:
Have you tried messing with the Sensor Bar settings? Make sure you set it to a level to which theres no dots when you point the remote anywhere else other than the TV screen (There's supposed to be only 2 dots blinking when the remote is pointed anywhere on the TV ). Note that when you lower it, it supposedly lowers the distance connectivity between the remote and the sensor bar... If you have any lights turned on, or something
The remote is very sensitive to light, even sunlight, reflective surfaces.. ( what a pain lol)

I did try messing with the settings only for a few minutes, though. Now that you mention it I'll give it another try and see what I come up with.

From what I've read, this doesn't seem to be a sensor bar or wiimote issue. Every time I've seen this problem posted, it specifically mentions Red Steel. My guess would be that Red Steel is farggled (nice word, no?). It wouldn't surprise me if they recalled the game as it seems to be an issue everywhere. On the official Red Steel forums, they seem to have dubbed it the "Rubber-Band Glitch".

Keep playing it if you like, but I imagine no amount of sensor-bar maneuvering or wiimote juggling will fix this problem.

My only other suggestion would be to call Nintendo, and see what they have to say. But I'm sure they will just try to send you another Wii.

It sounds to me like you might not have your sensor bar centered in front of your television. if there's a dvd player behind it that is.

Flip said:
From what I've read, this doesn't seem to be a sensor bar or wiimote issue. Every time I've seen this problem posted, it specifically mentions Red Steel. My guess would be that Red Steel is farggled (nice word, no?). It wouldn't surprise me if they recalled the game as it seems to be an issue everywhere. On the official Red Steel forums, they seem to have dubbed it the "Rubber-Band Glitch".

Keep playing it if you like, but I imagine no amount of sensor-bar maneuvering or wiimote juggling will fix this problem.

My only other suggestion would be to call Nintendo, and see what they have to say. But I'm sure they will just try to send you another Wii.

Really? I'll have to check out the Red Steel forums. I did find it odd that no other games had this problem (specifically Call of Duty 3 and Wii sports.) If I can't find a solution to the problem soon I will call Nintendo directly, but I am hesitant to have them send me a new Wii considering I did wait in line for a full 24 hours for this one :D.

Thanks for the info, I'm heading over to the Red Steel page now.

***UPDATE*** Flip you were completely correct. The "rubber band effect" is the exact problem I am having. Apparently it IS a problem with just Red Steel itself. The link to the thread where it is discussed is Rubber-Band Effect - Topic Powered by eve community

A buddy of mine is going to let me borrow his Red Steel this weekend and to see if it might be specific to each individual copy.

jus. said:
It sounds to me like you might not have your sensor bar centered in front of your television. if there's a dvd player behind it that is.

My sensor bar is in the middle of the top of the TV. It's a rather larger television, so there is enough space to fit a DVD player on top of it. And infront of the DVD player is where the sensor bar is. It also lined up with the front of the TV. Thanks for the idea though.

Back