Wii Swapped - Data GONE! What To Do...

CBinMA

WiiChat Member
Aug 20, 2012
Hi guys,

My guess is this'll be an easy one for you gurus...

We have a Wii. Had it for a few years, and it started shutting itself right in the middle of usage. Became a pain. My sister-in-law also has a Wii. She never uses the damn thing. So I thought... I'll simply swap the consoles! She takes mine (which works fine, just shuts off sometimes), and I'll bring back hers. Did so...

I took the SD card out of our Wii before we swapped the consoles. Upon hooking up the replacement console, I put the SD card in it.

Turned on Super Mario Bros. to play with the kids, and low and behold, all our saved games, etc is gone. Same for the Mii's on Wii Fit,and all the data from Kart. Basically, it's as if we've started over. I've come to find out this is to be expected. So it's my understanding that I now have to take the SD card back to the original console (mine, now hers), and backup the old data, then bring it back to the replacement console.

My question is... How? Is there a document explaining what I have to do? Can someone here provide step-by-step instructions? I really don't want to lose years worth of game data for multiple games...

Help! Thanks!

CB

Any chance of a list of games that DON'T allow copying?

My main concern is Mario Kart, but Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, (the Mii's), and Super Mario Bros also...

And also... On the "target" Wii. Anything that's on there, honestly, can get wiped. There a way to just "reset" the Wii and wipe it fresh, clean, and new? I figure I'll do that before data migration...

CB

Any chance of a list of games that DON'T allow copying?

My main concern is Mario Kart, but Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, (the Mii's), and Super Mario Bros also...

Nintendo has a very adamant stance towards cheating, so to prevent that, they don't allow anyone to copy the save data of games with online multiplayer so that said cheaters can't modify their saved games very easily. As such, you unfortunately won't be able to copy Mario Kart Wii's save data to your SD card, sorry to say. =( This safeguard against cheaters can sadly hurt the every day gamer too... I was also disappointed when I discovered I couldn't transfer my Super Smash Bros. Brawl data around with an SD card.

If Wii-Fit has any online capabilities, you might not be able to copy it as well.

And also... On the "target" Wii. Anything that's on there, honestly, can get wiped. There a way to just "reset" the Wii and wipe it fresh, clean, and new? I figure I'll do that before data migration...

CB

As Xplosive mentioned, in the Wii's settings (on the main menu, click the wrench in the lower-left hand corner), you'll find an option similar to "Wii System Formatting". That will delete everything on the console, not just save data. If this Wii has any Virtual Console games or special Channels, formatting your Wii will cause you to lose these permanently. It's my understanding you'll also have to adjusts all the options, internet connection details, etc. as if the Wii just came out of the factory as well. So yeah, be very careful with formatting the Wii

Hi SSB,

So because Nintendo wants to stop "cheating" (gimme a break, it's a VIDEO GAME), I cannot port over my SMK data to a replacement system after the original one started acting up? That S.U.C.K.S. Nintendo's gonna hear about that.

CB

Back