2 green pixels in RE4

hencam[uk]

www.hencam.co.uk
Nov 21, 2007
West Yorkshire, UK
I noticed while I was playing RE4 last week that there were 2 green pixels about an inch apart that flickered, especially in foggy scenes.

I've done some research and searched the forum and it seems my gpu might have overheated and I'm stuck with the green pixels...

But my question is, it's only 2 pixels, and I can't see them on any other game! Only on RE4 - is there any other way I can test to see if it's not just an issue with that game?

I emailed Nintendo but they haven't replied back yet, and I'm stuck between wanting a "perfect" wii, and not wanting to be without it for a week!

If you want to test I would go rent another copy first. If it does the same then you have an issue and hopefully your Wii is still under warranty. I had the same problem and noticed it while playing Rayman Raving Rabbids. This was only during scenes with fog or very dark background. The problem got worse. I created a request for service on the Nintendo website. They sent me the shipping materials and exchanged my Wii for a new one. With all my data copied over too! You may be without it for a few weeks, but its worth doing now. You don't want it to get worse and be out of warranty.

I recently had the same problem.

I've had my Wii for 7 months, and had been playing RE4 without any problmes over that period. But this problem recently started appearing on my Wii aswell.

SInce I first noticed it, the problem began to get worse, and the pixels became noticebale in other games aswell, including Wii Sports.

I returned my Wii under warranty at the start of this week. So I am currently Wii-less, waiting on a repair/replacement.

hencam[uk] said:
I noticed while I was playing RE4 last week that there were 2 green pixels about an inch apart that flickered, especially in foggy scenes.

I've done some research and searched the forum and it seems my gpu might have overheated and I'm stuck with the green pixels...

But my question is, it's only 2 pixels, and I can't see them on any other game! Only on RE4 - is there any other way I can test to see if it's not just an issue with that game?

I emailed Nintendo but they haven't replied back yet, and I'm stuck between wanting a "perfect" wii, and not wanting to be without it for a week!
I got my wii on the 2006 launch date and in Jan of 07 I started to experience the same thing while playing Call of Duty 3. It turned out that my GPU over heated (wii connect 24) and I ened up sending it in to Nintendo for a product replacement under warranty. After I received my new unit, I purchased a cooling fan and have not had the problem since.

I made a movie so you can see what I'm getting - is it the same as you guys have had?

If it is then I guess I should send my Wii back, but I'm still waiting for Customer Services to reply to my email :scared:

It's mainly 2 pixels about an inch apart (usually hidden by the top of Leon's hair) but if you look around you can see more though they are fainter.

I was hoping it was just a rendering artifact from the old gamecube code but if it's a problem I suppose I'll have to do without my wii for a week or two.

Please watch the movie and let me know what you think - is my wii dying?

Weird thing is I couldn't see them on the wii homescreen or menu screens, and they aren't visible in Metroid Prime 3 either.

Cheers

Neil - my three pet hens :)

hencam[uk] said:

Weird thing is I couldn't see them on the wii homescreen or menu screens, and they aren't visible in Metroid Prime 3 either.

Cheers

Mine was a lot worse than that - and progressively got worse. My problem was that the pixels were visible pretty much throughout RE4.

Your problem seems to be related to the rendering of fog effects - I've seen others mention that this is where their problem started aswell.

I never had problems in the menu screens. But the problem did start spreading to other games - Wii Sports, Tiger Woods are a couple.

Like you, I have Metroid Prime 3 and I never noticed the pixels when playing that. So, I think the problem may not appear in ALL games.

If the problem gets worse, or you start noticing it in other games, I'd certainly get in touch with Nintendo.

hencam[uk] said:
I made a movie so you can see what I'm getting - is it the same as you guys have had?

If it is then I guess I should send my Wii back, but I'm still waiting for Customer Services to reply to my email :scared:

It's mainly 2 pixels about an inch apart (usually hidden by the top of Leon's hair) but if you look around you can see more though they are fainter.

I was hoping it was just a rendering artifact from the old gamecube code but if it's a problem I suppose I'll have to do without my wii for a week or two.

Cheers

This is exactly what happened to my console and it does get worse. It is a result of an over heated GPU and not from RE4 and is not repairable and needs to be replaced. I called Nintendo and spoke with a customer service rep and he was able to take care of me ASAP. I would by-pass trying to email and get on the phone.

They will offer to send you a new unit and then ask you to send your damaged wii back to them in the same box so you are not with out a wii, they will even pay for the shipping....but...they are going to ask for a credit card so they can bill you $220 just in case you fail to send them your old unit. I did it, and I had no problems. When you get your new unit I suggest you purchase a cooling fan.

A quick update (note: I'm in the UK, and the returns process is different over here).

I returned my Wii to get repaired due to a faulty GPU. It took a fortnight to arrive back, and rather than a repair, I've actually got a new Wii.

Nintendo also copied all my game saves, VC downloads etc over to my new machine so that I haven't lost anything.

So far so good (touch wood) and everything's working ok - thankfully, no flickering pixels.

I purchased a cooling fan while the Wii was away at Nintendo. I've got my fingers crossed that this stops any future GPU issues.

The only thing is that my Wii Online code changed, meaning that I'll have to inform the people that I have in my address book.

Back