Wii Overheated and is Damaged; How to Avoid?

RJU690

WiiChat Member
Mar 31, 2007
Atlanta
Last week I began experiencing what is known as "flickering pixels" or the "stray pixel issue" in which many pixels the opposite color of its background flash repeatedly across the screen. The phenomenon can be observed here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wg33i_tirVM.

This problem is caused by permanent damage to the GPU as a result of overheating. It is widely believed that the Nintendo Wii overheats when the console itself is off while connected to WiiConnect 24. I can attest to this theory as my Nintendo Wii feels quite warm when the console itself is off while connected to WiiConnect 24 although my Nintendo Wii feels normal when the console itself is on. Although playing games are far more intensive tasks than WiiConnect 24, the cooling fan is active during these processes. However, the cooling fan is innactive when the console itself is off while connected to WiiConnect 24 even though heat-producing processes are running.

The problem is a severe engineering flaw and could have easily been avoided. If the Nintendo Wii was capable, with the use of internal temperature sensors, to selectively activate the cooling fan during periods of intense heat when the console itself was off while connected to WiiConnect 24, virtually all cases of overheating could have been prevented. It is irresponsible on Nintendo's part to allow such damaging engineering flaws to be incorporated in their products.

(By the way, I am a huge fan of Nintendo and their games despite what I wrote above. Also, it would be an enormous inconvenience to disable WiiConnect 24 although at the moment it may be the only alternative.)

Mine has been on Wii connect 24 for over a year, Since launch day here in Australia were it gets very very hot. I have not had a problem with overheating at all.

The only way your wii can over heat is if its in a very tight spot where it can't breath other wise i don't see how this happened.

make sure is is not directly on the Carpet vents not covereing the vents and allready mentiond no tight spaces.

All of the above dude...Nintendo wasn't irresponsible. In this case I would say. They knew what they were doing. There is no such way the wii will overheat if you have it in a free spaced area where the vents can transfer cool air to your system. My wii is always on WiiConnect24 and I don't have any problem.

FRuMMaGe's Guide to Not Overheating Your Nintendo Wii​

Here are some tips to make sure your Wii doesn't overheat:

> If at all possible, try to avoid setting your Wii on fire for lols. This could cause overheating.
> Try to avoid putting your Wii in enclosed spaces such as cabinets, draws or ovens.
> Do NOT take your Wii to the beach with you.
> You may be tempted to run a hot bath for your Wii, this is not advised. The Wii much preffers a cold shower. :yesnod:

Actually, overheating to the Nintendo Wii in open spaces is a common problem that even Nintendo has acknowledged. My friend once had a similar problem before he got rid of it. There are many videos on Youtube as well to confirm it. The fact is, Nintendo overlooked this issue and many Nintendo Wiis are being damaged because it. It's quite disappointing since Nintendo is esteemed for the quality of their products.

To the OP: I bought my Wii at the beginning of February and after about 3 or 4 weeks of use, I started to see flickering pixels. I called Nintendo and they gave me instructions on how to ship it to them.

For the hell of it, though, I decided to turn the system from vertical to horizontal (because I noticed the air intake is on the bottom of the system and the electronic device it was sitting on itself was warm - horizontal it got fresh air) and I bought an Intec cooling fan that slaps on the USB ports.

It took about 3 or 4 days for the label from Nintendo to show up and within two days my flickering pixels disappeared and I haven't seen them since. I decided not to ship it in.

Although a little on the noisy side, I like the Intec fan because it runs while the system is on standby (so I leave Wiiconnect24 on and it stays cool).

I know people here say this isn't necessary, and I would most likely agree, but I like the added insurance since Wiis are still freaking hard to come by around here :)

It does do damage

I bought my Wii a few years ago and noticed it was getting hot even while left off. It had plenty of space and I cleaned the vents every time they got a little dirty. I saw the thing about how the wiiconnect24 is what causes that, and was worried about it so I called Nintendo, and like every one else, they told me it was not a problem and to ignore it pretty much.

My graphics chip in my Wii is now damaged from this. It gets screen fragmentation, strange black pixels, lines, blurry graphics, and all the normal signs of a graphics chip going bad. As I said I gave my Wii plenty space to breath, and it was never abused. If my Wii went bad after being so well cared for this is clearly a design flaw.

Does any one know if I can get this fixed for a decent price or free, even though its out of warenty. I was told that it would not harm my console in any way, and it ended up killing it. This really should be covered.

Unplug it when ever its not in use.

You cold probably get a used one really cheap

Back