480p worse??!!

wenied

WiiChat Member
Dec 25, 2006
i just hooked up my componenent cables and switched the wii to 480p...when i fired up SMG I noticed the graphics are jagged and blurry.
switch it back to 480i and its crisper and looks like normal.
anyone else notice this?

yes it has been posted many times. many people have problem with this. what kind of tv do u have?

wenied said:
46 inch sony lcd projection...8 months old

sony??????/ i knew it!!!! those conspirators.:mad5: :mad5: :mad5:

actually if u go into wii hardware section in this forum, u can find all sorts of help.:yesnod: :yesnod:

thats the resolution of the game. wii has 480i with no additional cables. but with the cables, it turns to 480p which is not a big difference but u can notice it throught colours and such. also 360 and ps3 have games ranging in 720 to 1080 p. 1080p is the highest u can go for now.

Being its a HDTV alot of them you might have to adjust the settings for inputs that support HD such as Componet/HDMI if that signal isn't acctually HD.
I know I had to adjust mine at first because it acted like it had a HD signal comming in when it did not. Image got way smaller and pixilated.

Read your manual make the adjustments, if that doesnt work just switch back for now maybe research into the specific t.v. model more to narrow down your issue.

In my experience HDTV just makes it look worse since HDTV's bring out the flaws and/or beauty in visuals. Since Wii was made for 480p at the most, its going to show its flaws alot. Since you have a 46inch TV, its atleast 420p, possibly 1080i or 1080p. So basically your game is being stretched to fit the screen.

how close are you sitting to ur TV, if your sitting "on top" of ur TV it will look much worse whereas if its 1080p and ur still sitting "on top" of your TV it will look perfect, try moving further back from ur TV

T3kNi9e said:
In my experience HDTV just makes it look worse since HDTV's bring out the flaws and/or beauty in visuals. Since Wii was made for 480p at the most, its going to show its flaws alot. Since you have a 46inch TV, its atleast 420p, possibly 1080i or 1080p. So basically your game is being stretched to fit the screen.

i dont know where you buy tvs, but here in canada, a tv that is 46 inches is only in 720i or 720p.

@OP
in 480i, the edges will seem jaggy, but in 480p it should seem more smooth. at first it might seem more blury. if you still feel that something is wrong, then you might want to change the sharpness in the menu of your tv.

i swtched to 480P while playing SMG i noticed i was not as happy with the look at first but the only thing that changes instead of having bold loud look it is more refined and you can see the true look it is supposed to be.
took me a while but i like it better now

wish it was 1080P but 480 works.

the 480 or 720 or 1080 is the dewfenition of the picture
the i is for intergreated (basically one pixil has one shade)
the p is for progressive ( 20 shades per pixil)

thas said:
i dont know where you buy tvs, but here in canada, a tv that is 46 inches is only in 720i or 720p.

@OP
in 480i, the edges will seem jaggy, but in 480p it should seem more smooth. at first it might seem more blury. if you still feel that something is wrong, then you might want to change the sharpness in the menu of your tv.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...74199/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Yeah... either you don't look hard enough or Canadians get screwed over.

Erm...!

kx5 said:
the 480 or 720 or 1080 is the dewfenition of the picture
the i is for intergreated (basically one pixil has one shade)
the p is for progressive ( 20 shades per pixil)

That's not even slightly right! ;)

480/720/1080 is the number of vertical lines of pixels in your tv display.

'i' is for interlaced - it means it interlaces different rows/lines of pixels each frame to create an image. Every image you see is actually made up from 2 different frames - first the EVEN lines are drawn (ie: lines 2, 4, 6 etc) in the first frame, then the next frame the ODD lines are drawn (1, 3, 5, 7 etc) - which is why interlaced often shimmers slightly - it's using persistence of vision (stuff on a screen don't disappear straight away when they stop getting displayed - it's why when bright things that move on a tv often leave a bit of a trail or ghosting as the image drops back to black) to 'mix' the two frames into the correct image.

'p' is progressive - this draws ALL the lines in an image in order each and every frame, so no shimmer, and higher quality.

If your tv is showing much worse quality when using progressive, then perhaps either your Wii or tv isn't set to progressive mode.

Hope this helps,

Neil - watch my chooks!

Anyways getting off topic with the type of t.v it is, it has nothing to do with it being an HDTV because he said it looked fine in the standard 480i and worse in 480p so his upconverter must be ok, its somthing in the settings

Eaither its an issue with the settings when using the Componet cables over the Composite cables. "only thing that changed input wise"

Or your t.v. might be struggling in progressive scan mode for some odd reason. A quick easy way to tell is maybe toss a dvd player on the same t.v., then switch between interlaced and progressive and see if there is any differance. Most DVD players have this option. When in progressive scan mode its accepting alot more information and takes a different decoding process.

thas said:

@OP

Dude, seriously... this is the second post in two days that I've shaken my head at by you.

I just want to say, Thas in no way represents the general intelligence level of Canadians.

42" LG 1080p (at a pretty nice price I may add)

Last edited:
Back