Any recent word on SSBB and the Classic controller

Atomheart

M'bating to Z Suit Samus
Jul 30, 2007
WI
Has there been any recent word from players about how well SSBB controls with the Classic controller? I've contemplated getting one for this game, but want to know if it works well with it. I didn't Melee much, so I don't have any allegiance to the GC controller; therefore, I figure I'd have no advantage with going with that one. So, if I'm going to go out and buy a new controller, I might as well go with the Classic controller as it'll see more use, right (plus, GC Wavebirds are tough to find)?

And the Wiimote/Nunchuck seems rather cumbersome as far as functionality, so I'd prefer a traditional controller, I think.

never use wiimote/nunchuck. just think of the mechanics you'll have to perform with the game and where they would match up. its not set up for smash. you do your special with a trigger? terrible lol

CC is said to work good. not AS good as GC but if you have nothing towards melee then go for it. the control sticks are wii control sticks and therefore more responsive. and the buttons are positioned well enough that you can reach them with relative ease. i personally have bought one for brawl because i want to learn how to use them (the reason being my faulty and broken GC controllers)

but remember. brawl was DESIGNED for the GC controllers and was originaly supposed to be GC controller only so from a button layout point of view they cant be beat.

spiff-ssbb said:
never use wiimote/nunchuck. just think of the mechanics you'll have to perform with the game and where they would match up. its not set up for smash. you do your special with a trigger? terrible lol

CC is said to work good. not AS good as GC but if you have nothing towards melee then go for it. the control sticks are wii control sticks and therefore more responsive. and the buttons are positioned well enough that you can reach them with relative ease. i personally have bought one for brawl because i want to learn how to use them (the reason being my faulty and broken GC controllers)

but remember. brawl was DESIGNED for the GC controllers and was originaly supposed to be GC controller only so from a button layout point of view they cant be beat.

Well, maybe if I can locate a Wavebird for around the same price, I'll get one of those. That way, I can play GC with it, which I'd likely play more than VC games. Man, I really wish I would have snatched one of those Wavebirds on clearance for $25 at Walmart last summer...

Also, how comfortable are the CC's? It seems like the oval shape wouldn't be as ergonomic and would get uncomfortable? Or no?

Also, does the CC rumble? Or is the rumble only through the Wiimote?

If you can find a wavebird, great! But don't despair, the classic controller is almost identical (other than shape and feel) and you won't be at a disadvantage, other than that the GC feels "like home" to most players. I've read that the classic is just as useable and won't detract from the experience, other than the wiimote laying around on your lap, or wherever you put it.

COLDshiver said:
If you can find a wavebird, great! But don't despair, the classic controller is almost identical (other than shape and feel) and you won't be at a disadvantage, other than that the GC feels "like home" to most players. I've read that the classic is just as useable and won't detract from the experience, other than the wiimote laying around on your lap, or wherever you put it.

Can you still even buy Wavebirds? I haven't seen them in stores for months. Maybe they'll resurface for Brawl. Nintendo would be smart to do so.

Sadly, I think Ebay would be you're best e for wavebirds so far.

Since ninty isn't too great at anticipating successes over failures, they probably won't start pumping out wavebirds for a while, but you may see them show up more often in let's say 6 months?

I never owned Melee myself so I'm not partial to the Gamecube controller. I actually could see myself sticking by the cc through out my career as a brawler.

Atomheart said:
Can you still even buy Wavebirds? I haven't seen them in stores for months. Maybe they'll resurface for Brawl. Nintendo would be smart to do so.
they're discontinued. for the most part you have to ebay them...therefore my conversion to cc

to Atomheart:
its a tad awkward to hold but all the buttons are reachable wich means you can easily get accustomed to it. and i ahve one but have never used it so i dont know about the rumble... but i'd assume it would

i think that whoever has a gcube controller right now is very, very lucky that they kept it. it's the best feel for me.

Back