Best Buy - No stock Sunday

TheMix said:
here's what I'll say, just as I mentioned in another thread...

though I would reccomend calling your local Best Buy....different districts do different things.

I used to work at a Best Buy and still have friends there.

My friends are essentially giving me every indication that the Wiis that they have will be held until the add date (the 31st). Everything in my district seems to be fairly airtight as far as info....and none of the Best Buy's around me seem to be doing the receipt gig.
You must've worked there a long time ago, because all stores follow the same SOP. They aren't going to be in the ad on the 31st because the PS3 is. They aren't going to have tickets to hand out on the 31st because the tickets are for the PS3. Why would they hold? Stupid decision on the manager's side there for any store who holds.

Kryptenx said:
You must've worked there a long time ago, because all stores follow the same SOP. They aren't going to be in the ad on the 31st because the PS3 is. They aren't going to have tickets to hand out on the 31st because the tickets are for the PS3. Why would they hold? Stupid decision on the manager's side there for any store who holds.

I'll go ahead and politely disgree with that. :)

I worked there up until late this last summer....in the warehouse no less.

From what my buddy, who still works in the warehouse, the info. on their Wiis is being kept under lock and key. The Warehouse still hasn't received any Wiis as of yet. Even the Inventory Manager hasn't gotten any official word on what to do when they get them....and he would know....he wants one. As of right now, it looks like my old BB, store #6, in Inver Grove, MN....will be letting them free on Sunday. They didn't get them on the truck on Tuesday, so if they're doing them any time before Sunday, then the truck with the Wiis for my old store will come tomorrow evening.

And honestly, there's no real stupidity that lays with either holding or not holding the Wiis until Sunday. They're going to be sold either way. PS3 or not. The Wiis are going to sell out again in one day.....whether it's today, tomorrow, or Sunday....doesn't really matter. Little to noone that walks in wanting to buy a PS3 is going to go apeshit and want to buy a Wii instead....

What I can tell you is that district by district here in Minnesota, there's a difference. Different BBs were doing different things for launches, and they're doing different things now.

If stores in your district are really doing that, then it is stupidity. How do they expect to handle both PS3 and Wii campers in 1 night? You're going to have all kinds of people in 1 line for 2 different systems, and with only tickets for the PS3. It's going to make a big mess.

And he should've received word, as this is in the Retail Insider:
Hold PlayStation 3 for Dec. 31 Ad, Release Some Units
All stores will receive PlayStation 3 (60 GB, $599) for the Dec. 31 ad (ad minimum 25). Product will be labeled with orange stickers that say “Hold for ad.” If your store received 70 or more units, hold 40 units for the ad and release the rest. Some stores have sold many units and may be at risk of not having the minimums. If your store received less than 70 units, hold 32 units for the ad and release the rest. Additional PS3 software and accessories will arrive throughout the week to support the ad. Click here for an overview about additional topics, such as line formation, tickets in Dec. 31 Merch Kit and more.

Sell Wii Upon Receipt
Stores are receiving shipments of Nintendo Wii this week. Get all units to the floor and sell upon receipt. Keep in mind, employee purchases of Wii and PS3 aren’t allowed until further notice.

Kryptenx said:
If stores in your district are really doing that, then it is stupidity. How do they expect to handle both PS3 and Wii campers in 1 night? You're going to have all kinds of people in 1 line for 2 different systems, and with only tickets for the PS3. It's going to make a big mess.

I don't know....

I guess by my estimation, they've got a parking lot that could probably hold upwards of a couple thousand people. Seeing as there's a right and a left side, one would think two signs could be put up...one reading "Wii" and the other "PS3".

There's nothing that stupid about it. In fact, it's actually more logical....seeing as, if the rest of the stores were selling before hand....profit at those district stores would be lower than the holdouts for that day.

Two systems as opposed to one really isn't that much harder to handle. The amount of staff will be there anyway, it's just a matter of setting up 2 lines instead of one. Not that difficult.

No need to worry, your district is smarter than you give them credit for, because they've sold all their Wiis.

Location Avail On Hand Total On Hand On Order In Transit Current Sell Avg. Wk
Unit Sales Avg. Wks
of Supply Calc. Wks
of Supply

5 - EDINA MN 0 0 0 0 $249.99 5.62 0 0
6 - INVER GROVE HEIG MN 0 0 0 0 $249.99 8.75 0 0
8 - BURNSVILLE MN 0 0 0 0 $249.99 8.75 0 0
10 - MAPLEWOOD MN 0 0 0 0 $249.99 11.61 0 0
14 - ROCHESTER MN 0 0 0 0 $249.99 12.07 0 0
15 - OAKDALE MN 0 0 0 0 $249.99 14.74 0 0
17 - SIOUX FALLS SD 0 0 0 0 $249.99 17.96 0 0
18 - LA CROSSE WI 0 0 0 0 $249.99 11.88 0 0
40 - EAU CLAIRE WI 0 0 0 0 $249.99 11.79 0 0
245 - APPLE VALLEY MN 0 0 0 0 $249.99 14.64 0 0
281 - RICHFIELD MN 0 0 0 0 $249.99 15.01 0 0
330 - MANKATO MN 0 0 0 0 $249.99 8.38 0 0
604 - MASON CITY IA 0 0 0 0 $249.99 5.53 0 0
861 - RAPID CITY SD 0 0 0 0 $249.99 5.53 0 0
1055 - EAGAN MN 0 0 0 0 $249.99 11.61 0 0

I was at the Rochester store today, and earlier this week. Today, the clerk told me he had just checked the orders, and there were no Wii on order; they've been out since the release on the Seventeenth. When there are finally Wii on order, they will be in sometime in the month.

Kryptenx said:
No need to worry, your district is smarter than you give them credit for, because they've sold all their Wiis.

I still don't think it's stupid, and your didn't really give me a very valid reason for them actually doing so, at least not from a sales standpoint. I still see different districts do different things....it happens all the time.

but you are correct. They sold their Wiis earlier on, I suspect Tuesday, when the truck came. (btw, I talked to an old manger firend of mine today who will, in all likelyhood, be letting me know when the next shipment comes in)

I did, however, manage to pick-up Zelda and an extra Wiimote today, so that's cool.

TheMix said:
I still don't think it's stupid, and your didn't really give me a very valid reason for them actually doing so, at least not from a sales standpoint. I still see different districts do different things....it happens all the time.

but you are correct. They sold their Wiis earlier on, I suspect Tuesday, when the truck came. (btw, I talked to an old manger firend of mine today who will, in all likelyhood, be letting me know when the next shipment comes in)

I did, however, manage to pick-up Zelda and an extra Wiimote today, so that's cool.
I live in NY, are they going to be selling the Wii's early on Sunday

I wanna start playing b4 the second semester starts!! THANX!

SoCuteNY said:
I live in NY, are they going to be selling the Wii's early on Sunday

I wanna start playing b4 the second semester starts!! THANX!

No clue....

If the BBs in NY are doing what the rest of the BBs seem to be doing, then I'd say no.

I'd venture to guess some will come in on one of the next few trucks....so maybe Tuesday or Friday of next week.

I don't know what my BB is doing. Wont tell a thing. I hope they give them out tomorrow. I still haven't recieved mine, and school comes back Wednesday.

Ahh, And if not recieve one Sunday, I should check Tuesday, you say?

Nintendo ships directly to stores, so Wiis never come in on trucks. Call your local store, but theres about a 98% chance they don't know when they'll get more in.

TheMix said:
No clue....

If the BBs in NY are doing what the rest of the BBs seem to be doing, then I'd say no.

I'd venture to guess some will come in on one of the next few trucks....so maybe Tuesday or Friday of next week.
Thanx, is BB open on New Year's though?

ANd my walmart said that tuesday/monday is the day

Kryptenx said:
Nintendo ships directly to stores, so Wiis never come in on trucks. Call your local store, but theres about a 98% chance they don't know when they'll get more in.

Good call. Forgot about that.

ladycasey said:
I did my own manhunt today and was told they would be available sunday morning
"What a load" eh? Well, good luck then. As mentioned above, some stores may be doing things different, but for the most part they are all sell upon receipt. Let me know how your hunting goes though, since this is just a huge load and all.

Back