best wii streaming program

crazybuzz100

WiiChat Member
May 21, 2007
I have seen that there are quite a few streaming programs for the wii. I have recently tried wiicr and I am just about to use wiimediacenterx. I haven't tried orb yet and I was wondering what is the best way to stream videos with the wii? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks all.:smilewinkgrin:

Hi

have you considered Tversity?

it works fairly well.

personally, if you are considering streaming video, i'd recommend
connecting to the "server" pc by ethernet. streaming wirelessly
is very hit and miss using 802.11g (54Mbps).

it's a pity that the Wii doesn't support 802.11a (54Mbps / 5Ghz)
as per the xbox 360.....that protocol is excellent for video
streaming.

tversity does wii streaming now?! well looks like im going back to having tversity instead of orb as my xbox/wii streamer!

>>tversity does wii streaming now?!

yup...head over to their website.

have a look halfway down the page for the
URL that's needed to use the prog on the
Wii.

it ends with /flashlib

i agree theat tversity is also very good:wink: thought i never liked orb that much. maybe im just strange :crazy: lol

I just tried the TVersity tonight on my Wii. In short, it works (kind of). Although it crashed a few times during my test but it was able to play albums from my network drive. I'll explain it later.
For video, it can play WMV but not Divx. The video quality is fine (compare to Youtube on Wii). Obviously, RM files are not recognised. I have not tried other format like MPG, FLV, ASF,...etc.
While for the MP3, it works great (when it does not crash). It even display the ID3 tag in the original language (Chinese in this case). You can choose from Album, published year, artist, etc if you have those information stored. I have backed up my itune library onto a networked hard drive and have that drive connected through wireless network to TVersity server PC running Athlon 64 3000+ (which just under the minimal requirement) with 1GB RAM. Since I have such a complicated network and lower than required system, I did not expect it to work so well. It starts playing a song within a couple seconds and the on the fly conversion took only 10-20% time of the song. After it finished one song, it automatically switched to the next song. It is even compatible with playlist, although I have not tested it yet. Here is my network configuration:

1. Wireless router 1 (family room) -> NSLU2 media server -> iTune library on USB2.0 HD

2. Wireless router 2 (bedroom upstairs) -> PC running TVersity server

3. Wii (living room)

4. Wireless router 3 (basement) ->DSL uplink

Wireless router 1 and 2 are bridged to router 3 (as DHCP) and the Wii is connected to one of the 3 routers wirelessly. I also have a router 4 bridged too but it is not involved in this particular task and omitted from the list.

Last edited:
Just curious... HOW EXACTLY DO YOU GET IT TO WORK? I have done EVERYTHING according to the instructions. When I type in the URL, nothing happens.

Hey guys. Have yous ever used wiicr? I prefer it to all the other media streamers plus it does a lot more (tho I am not a big fan of useless features). Thanks for the comments but so far I think wiicr is a bit better then TVersity.

ShawVAuto said:
Just curious... HOW EXACTLY DO YOU GET IT TO WORK? I have done EVERYTHING according to the instructions. When I type in the URL, nothing happens.

have you got it set-up correctly on your "server" pc?

once installed, double click to open the tversity program, then in the
notification area (task bar) you will see the icon for tversity. if it's
a "pink" colour, that means the service is not running. right click on
the pink icon and select "start sharing" (or similar).

you'll then need to add photo's / music /video in the "add" media
section.

also ensure that any third party firewall software is configured to
allow the Wii to access the "server" pc.

if you have more than one pc on your network, it would probably be
wise to issue the "server" pc with a fixed / static IP address to prevent
the Wii trying to connect to the wrong pc.

if all the above is correct, on the Wii go into internet channel and
type the following URL: http://tversity_host:41952/flashlib
(replacing tversity_host with the IP of the "server" pc, so the URL
for example, would look like http://192.168.1.2:41952/flashlib)

you should now be able to connect and stream your media files.

I was about the say the same thing in the last few lines of last post. Now I need to try wiicr. I just finished download. Looks very interesting. Particularly, it said it will work on MP4 file formats. By the way, should this thread be under the WiiChat or Online forum. I had a hard time to find it back as it is listed under Hardware.

Last edited:
I use orb and i think it sucks, after a while u hear weird sounds when watching movies... really anoying.

Back