Call of Duty 4 sold 7 million

T3kNi9e

Conquistador
Dec 1, 2007
Augusta, GA
When the industry stat-trackers at NPD Group released their December sales figures last week, Microsoft's Xbox 360 exclusive Halo 3 was proclaimed the software sales king for 2007 in the US with 4.82 million units sold. That tally edged out Wii-exclusive Wii Play's 4.12 million units and the Xbox 360 version of Activision's Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, which sold 3.04 million copies.

However, while Halo 3 may have won the fight in the US, it did not win the war for 2007. Activision today claims Call of Duty 4 has ended its 2007 tour of duty with 7 million confirmed units sold worldwide, making it the top-selling title across all platforms for the year. Activision said it had pulled its data from NPD Group, Chart Track, and GfK Group.

Developed by Infinity Ward, Call of Duty 4 was released November 5 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, and Nintendo DS.

[UPDATE] As impressive as Call of Duty 4's 7 million units sold figure is, it is still short of the 8.1 million units of Halo 3 Microsoft announced had been sold in 2007. While the discrepancy wasn't explained in Activision's announcement today, it is likely the publisher's figure pertains to units that have actually made it into gamers' hands, whereas Microsoft's tally amounts to total units sold to retailers. Activision had not responded to requests for clarification as of press time.

Source

Interesting, I think if it had been released earlier in the year, it would have competed more closely with that of the Halo 3 numbers. I think each game has its appealing points, but each also has a target market. I think that COD better suits my liking than Halo, but it is the other way around for others.

true, just today my friend got cod4 and played onl ine for the first time. we were in private chat and all he could say during his first match was "i like halo better for this reason, or that reason" he had so many little complaints cause hes been playing halo and it's easier and more accessable. wich is true, but cod4 is much better hopefully he will learn that. lol

Back