Wii Downhill From Here?

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
New stats confirm what many holiday shoppers already knew: Nintendo's Wii Latest News about Wii was the most popular game console of the season, with 1.35 million flying off shelves. Its popularity provided a huge boost to the industry, said the NPD Group, which issued the report.

In 2007, the video game industry hauled in a record US$17.9 billion in sales, 43 percent higher than the $12.5 billion record set in 2006.

December, in particular, was a great month for the industry, with Microsoft and Sony also benefiting from consumers' avid interest in gaming. In December, 1.26 million units of Xbox 360 Latest News about Xbox 360 and close to 800,000 units of PlayStation 3 Latest News about PlayStation 3 were sold.

All together, U.S. sales of video game hardware and software rose 28 percent in December compared with the 2006 sales stats.
Breaking It Down

Not surprisingly, given the cult status it has attained, the Wii proved to be the most popular game console in the U.S. in 2007, selling nearly 6.3 million units. Gamers purchased 4.6 million Xbox 360 units last year and nearly 2.6 million PS3s, according to NPD data.

December's top selling game was Activision's "Call of Duty 4," at nearly 1.5 million units sold. At No. 2 was Nintendo's "Super Mario Galaxy," at 1.4 million. "Guitar Hero III" for the PlayStation 2 Latest News about PlayStation 2 came in third, with 1.25 million units sold. The fourth best-selling game was "Wii Play," which accounted for more than 1 million sales.

The year ended with Microsoft's "Halo 3" reigning as best-selling title for 2007, with more than 4.8 million sold in the United States. "Wii Play" and "Call of Duty 4" followed in second and third place, with 4.1 million units and 3 million units sold, respectively.
How Long?

It was a good year for Nintendo, thanks to the Wii's popularity, but it is likely to go downhill from here, Yankee Group Director Mike Goodman told the E-Commerce Times.

"Yes, the platform is wildly selling, but no one is playing games on it," he contended.

Sooner, rather than later, third-party publishers are going to abandon it, Goodman predicted, or least throw resources toward other platforms as well.

When price points for other consoles come down, gamers are going to move in their direction, he said. "You really have to question what kind of legs [Wii] will have when it sells out the Nintendo market."

Source:
http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/How-Strong-Are-Wiis-Legs-61282.html

Yay, more propaganda that the Wii will fail. They just don't give up will they? At this rate, 5 or more years from now, they will say there prediction finally came true.

Third-party abandonment? Not a huge loss seeing as Nintendo is very supportive of it's own games (and frankly, where most of its hits come from). Really I think the media and their stupid predictions is the reasons Ninty's CEO's are holding back - after so much I think this should just motivate them to prove the world wrong.

Wiimoto said:
LOL. No one is playing them? Thats funny...
LMAO I AGREE WITH U IF NO ONE WAS PLAYING THEM Y CAN'T PEOPLE WALK IN A STORE TO PURCHASE ONE WHEN THEY WANTED TOO. Y ARE WII'S STILL ON HIGH DEMAND THEY CAN'T FACE IT THAT WII ISN'T THE FAD THAT THEY WANTED IT TO BE.

Wait, if 3rd parties are supposed to jump ship...then why is Factor 5 back to making Nintendo games? Or does this guy actually have proof to back up his claim? Why doesn't he fault the PS3, which has worse software sales with most of its exclusives selling poorly?

*sniff's* i smell bs.

more wii failing postes.

tbh the wii got a better line up this year then it did last.

and ye i just didn't playing gh3 for a couple of hours today.

edit: and 3rd party support re going to abonden the wii hen companys such as square just sayed that the wii the true next gen console

borabora00 said:
LMAO I AGREE WITH U IF NO ONE WAS PLAYING THEM Y CAN'T PEOPLE WALK IN A STORE TO PURCHASE ONE WHEN THEY WANTED TOO. Y ARE WII'S STILL ON HIGH DEMAND THEY CAN'T FACE IT THAT WII ISN'T THE FAD THAT THEY WANTED IT TO BE.
Someones caps-lock is broken *rolls eyes*

@The question as to why the author isn't pointing our Sony's flaws, well... answer is simple. It's a Wii article and I believe the author was more of a Microsoft/ Sony fan in the first place.

261311 said:
Third-party abandonment? Not a huge loss seeing as Nintendo is very supportive of it's own games (and frankly, where most of its hits come from). Really I think the media and their stupid predictions is the reasons Ninty's CEO's are holding back - after so much I think this should just motivate them to prove the world wrong.

I could not agree more. Nintendo's greatest accomplishments are home-brewed!

The media just look for anything they can use to get a charge out of the public.

borabora00 said:

Maybe because if they don't already own it, they can't stop playing it...?

I stop playing my Wii. Im waiting for Mario Kart and maybe SSBB, after I get tired of those ill stop playing again because hardly anyone outside of Nintendo is doing good.

T3kNi9e said:
Maybe because if they don't already own it, they can't stop playing it...?

I stop playing my Wii. Im waiting for Mario Kart and maybe SSBB, after I get tired of those ill stop playing again because hardly anyone outside of Nintendo is doing good.

Hmm, No More Heroes, Disaster Day Of Crisis, Red Steel 2?
Some good games right there, I personally am looking forward to those.

People buy Wiis, but they don't play games on them! I swear!...

...they do other things...

Back