this is good news for the wii!

blume9370

WiiChat Member
Oct 20, 2007
While Microsoft is the company that's just been touting global console sales figures, it may well be Nintendo's Wii that has the largest installed base for a new generation console.

17.7 million Xbox 360s have been sold worldwide since launch, according to Microsoft. Using the figures currently available and a bit of educated guesswork, it's not unreasonable to suggest that the Wii has topped that figure - despite having been on sale for a year less than the 360.

According to Reuters news agency, by the end of September last year the 360 had sold 13.4 million units. The Wii, meanwhile, was a smidgeon behind with 13.2 million units sold. That means that to have exceeded the 360's sales, more than 4.5 million Wiis needed to have been sold since then, while 4.3 million 360s have been sold in that period.

There's no sales data from NPD for the US in December yet, but we know that 1.5 million Wiis were sold over the October/November period.

In Japan, meanwhile, 1.34 million Wiis were sold in those two months according to Enterbrain. Add in weekly sales figures from Media Create and you've got at least another 0.6 million consoles sold.

That brings the known total up to 3.44 million units sold since the end of September. To trump the 360's total, then, Nintendo needs to have sold 1.06 million Wiis spread between PAL territories since the end of September and America in December only.

While there have been notorious shortages of the Wii in certain areas, it seems like a good bet that Nintendo will have accomplished that.

For the record, VG Chartz puts the Wii's global sales figure at 19.5 million. The fact that it has the 360's total at the end of 2007 at just over 16 million, however, shows that VG Chartz figures need to be taken with a pinch of salt. Unless, of course, the 360 has sold 1.7 million units in the last three and a half days.

the reason this is good for the wii is...3rd party game developers will start to make some good games for the wii. why wouldn't they want to? if the most people have the wii that means more people can buy games for it.

go read VG chatz and find out why first... VG chartz bases the amount sold on actually amounts in the homes... when you ask microsoft how many they sold its how many left the factory not how many are in homes... so the other million some they claim are unsold units around the world still sitting on a shelf or in a warehouse...

they do the same with every console... they base it on not only what the console company says it has produced but how many the stores have reported selling...
if you were to base it on amount made then 360/ps3 would be doing alot better too... but when it comes down to it getting dusty on a shelf doesnt count..
Take a picture when you see a wii on the shelf its a pretty rare event half of them dont make it from the truck to the store...

wezeles said:
go read VG chatz and find out why first... VG chartz bases the amount sold on actually amounts in the homes... when you ask microsoft how many they sold its how many left the factory not how many are in homes... so the other million some they claim are unsold units around the world still sitting on a shelf or in a warehouse...

they do the same with every console... they base it on not only what the console company says it has produced but how many the stores have reported selling...
if you were to base it on amount made then 360/ps3 would be doing alot better too... but when it comes down to it getting dusty on a shelf doesnt count..
Take a picture when you see a wii on the shelf its a pretty rare event half of them dont make it from the truck to the store...

I 100% agree with that post.

haha over looking a very important point, most of the wii owners will never buy another console again cause they do not care, nor have they ever cared about consoles before/after the wii.
i.e. your grandma, do u think your grandma cares about the next gen wii? no.. no she doesnt
BUT, the next gen wii, if its still cheap, will attract some other grandmas who havent owned a wii, so still could be on top.

i didtn read the whole article, i hope im not way off lol i just skimmed it.

SensesFail, you are quite possibly right. Who knows how the next gen will sell. Maybe Sony and Microsoft will also incorporate a unique controller and a cheap price point.The coming years wil tell, but for the moment the casual gamer's money is going to the Wii, and this market is potentially huge...

SensesFail said:
haha over looking a very important point, most of the wii owners will never buy another console again cause they do not care, nor have they ever cared about consoles before/after the wii.
i.e. your grandma, do u think your grandma cares about the next gen wii? no.. no she doesnt
BUT, the next gen wii, if its still cheap, will attract some other grandmas who havent owned a wii, so still could be on top.

Dont forget Grandmas Die off and new people become grandmas every day... its an unlimited resource..lol

I think nintendo will do well in family homes again aslong as they dont disapoint the kids this round, as for the adults who bought it because of the fad and dont have children or are hardcore gamers... well they will probably be open to any console next gen... because not including motion controll next round is just obvious suicide... the next gen should be mind blowing after this...
and sony better not keep that ps3 for the 10 years they claimed... they will be the first outta the gaming buisness.. you know bill gates is already trying to get mind controll shoved into the next box... ha ha

wezeles said:
Dont forget Grandmas Die off and new people become grandmas every day... its an unlimited resource..lol

I think nintendo will do well in family homes again aslong as they dont disapoint the kids this round, as for the adults who bought it because of the fad and dont have children or are hardcore gamers... well they will probably be open to any console next gen... because not including motion controll next round is just obvious suicide... the next gen should be mind blowing after this...
and sony better not keep that ps3 for the 10 years they claimed... they will be the first outta the gaming buisness.. you know bill gates is already trying to get mind controll shoved into the next box... ha ha
:lol: What a nice way to look at it :lol:

SensesFail said:

/repped

SensesFail said:

I dont think that much old people actually have a wii I think that they just buy them for their grandchildren and ocasionally play them as its very easy thats were nintendo are taking their numbers from. as for wiiowners not buying another console thell get bored with wii after a couple of years and when a better wii comes and a big marketing scam alongside i think a couple of units will be sold.

Last edited:
im not saying the next nintendo console wont sell good, because it will, im saying it's too early to tell wich console will win. i think it's microsofts turn actually, since they have yet to win a console war. plus they will have another headstart on sony, this time it will be years so can we even call it a "war" anymore if all the consoles are released at totally different times? i guess the only way to keep up with new technology is to buy all 3 systems.
i expect the Wii2 to come out about a year before Xbox3, then 2 years later the PS4 This is just speculation from reading a few articles on when each company plans on releasing their next console.

Back