Can an australian Wii play uk games?

apparantly no

it appears that Wii are region locked how this is setup is only Nintendo's guess right now.

its possible at some point a USB or sodered Mod chip will be developed to allow this or possibly the reports in other forums are wrong and the Wii is region free

I'd just like to point out at that nyk0n is wrong.

Both OZ and UK use PAL media (DVD's and games). If you ever own a Futurama DVD or other FOX cartoon DVD you'll notice at the start it has warnings for both OZ, UK and other European countries, as these areas all use Region 4 coding. US are R1, Asia is either R2 or R3 and Africa is whichever one Asia isn't....?

So in other words, YES you can play UK games on an OZ Wii.

muftak78 said:

Both OZ and UK use PAL media (DVD's and games). If you ever own a Futurama DVD or other FOX cartoon DVD you'll notice at the start it has warnings for both OZ, UK and other European countries, as these areas all use Region 4 coding. US are R1, Asia is either R2 or R3 and Africa is whichever one Asia isn't....?

Region Countries
0 No Region Coding
1 United States of America, Canada
2 Europe, including France, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Arabia, Japan and South Africa
3 Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Borneo and Indonesia
4 Australia and New Zealand, Mexico, the Caribbean, and South America
5 India, Africa, Russia and former USSR countries
6 Peoples Republic of China
7 Unused
8 Airlines/Cruise Ships
9 Expansion (often used as region free

Though you might find that austrailian titles are probably japan coded alot of dvds are.

DVD's are encoded differenty from games. With games they are either PAL, NTSC or JAP.

PAL = OZ, UK, Europe
NTSC = US, CAN, etc
JAP = JAP, ASIA

I own a few UK games which i play on my GC. Just make sure you buy a PAL game from the UK and not somewhere else in Europe, otherwise it will be in another language.

muftak78 said:

This does not mean Nintendo has followed the same Region coding as Fox DVD's

now if they are as sheppy124 placed also see

http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/dvd3.htm

(UK is Region 2 Austrailia is Region 4)

then still no as the DVD region coding is different

the only way we would know for sure is to have someone try it.

but it is possible Nintendo has these locked differently than DVD's (and if so then DVD playback would likely never work) if locked at all

As I live in the UK, and yesterday I just spent £185 on a wii from australia - i have done a fair bit of research towards this. To my relief it appears that video games do not have regions like DVDs. The only restriction is that you need a game, Wii and TV all using the same Video Standard. Either PAL, NTSC or SECAM.

Also note, when importing the wii console from another country, check the voltage it uses, as you may need a transformer.

All the info we will ever need is on this site:
http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/ntscp.html

I will let you know when my Wii from down under arrives.
But hope this sorts everything out for now!

Last edited:
(UK is Region 2 Austrailia is Region 4)

then still no as the DVD region coding is different

the only way we would know for sure is to have someone try it.

but it is possible Nintendo has these locked differently than DVD's (and if so then DVD playback would likely never work) if locked at all

Games aren't region locked like DVD's. As hugh1988 pointd out, they just need the same video standard (PAL, NSTC, SECAM/JAP), and if you want to use an imported Wii, then you need a voltage adapter.

I have bought numerous GC games from the UK and as long as it's PAL format, and in english, then it will work fine. Why do you think OZ and UK had the same launch dates? I guarantee that it will work, and if it doens't for some unknown reason, i will give away my OZ Wii to whoever needs it.

Yeah I have a similar question, because I have an Australian Wii, and what it says in all my games (at the back of cover) "FOR USE WITH PAL VERSION. NOT COMPATIBLE WITH JAPANESE, U.S. OR OTHER VERSIONS OF WII"

So...does this mean that I am able to buy games from another region or country where they use PAL standard? Or not?

It is possable with every other console so it should with the Wii

Back