Can's see games on LCD

akguy53

WiiChat Member
Nov 27, 2006
Sorry I reposted this because I had put it in the wrong forum.

:mad: I just bought my son a new 19 inch widescreen LCD TV Monitor to use with his Wii. We have the Wii on the RCA cable inputs for the monitor of course. All the new Wii games work fine as does all the standard Wii menu items. The problem is with the games we downloaded from the Wii Shop. The only game you can play and see is Super Mario. Donkey Kong, Pinball, The old Zelda only show up as a black screen when you try to play them. You can hear the game going on and when you push the "home key" to get back to the Wii menu you can see the graphic of the game behind the Wii button choices for Close, Reset or Wii Home.

I have tried making all the adjustments on the TV for brightness, contrast etc and nothing helps. Any ideas?

Frustrated Dad.

Yes, It had been working fine on the regular tube TV.

That is very odd. Try changing the widescreen setting in the Settings menu, Redownload a game, then call Nintendo.

Also, double check the colour coding where you have the cables plugged into. On new TVs theres green, blue, yellow and other colours just make sure yellow goes to yellow.

I'd say there's likely to be a compatability issue with the output format of the old games and that of the screen. Seems unusual to me that the monitor wouldn't support everything (expecially older formats), but not out of the ordinary. The older games will replicate the original in terms of screen resolution, frame rate, video format etc. to replicate exactly what the original game was.
Actually, now that I think of it, I could almost guarantee that's the problem and sadly I think there's almost no solution (unless you changed the video format by playing it 'through' another source ie. video player).

csiguy4u said:
He probably bought one of those shite brands of LCD screens.

I'm not sure what "shite" is supposed to mean, however I bought a Westinghouse 19" 1440 x900 HD ready LCD TV at Best Buy. I spoke to Nintendo today and they are having someone higher up the food chain get back to me since the first person could not help. By the way, do the NES games work on your non-"shite" brand LCD screen.

akguy53 said:
I'm not sure what "shite" is supposed to mean, however I bought a Westinghouse 19" 1440 x900 HD ready LCD TV at Best Buy. I spoke to Nintendo today and they are having someone higher up the food chain get back to me since the first person could not help. By the way, do the NES games work on your non-"shite" brand LCD screen.

Yes they do. Maybe you should get a refund from Bestbuy.

I'm having the same problem!

I'm using a Philips 42" LCD that we've owned just over a year. It's connected to a very high end a/v receiver via HDMI cable. All of our components go through the a/v receiver except the dvd player. The Wii is connected via the a/v receiver using its supplied rca cables.

We downloaded Donkey Kong and SNES Zelda and are having the SAME exact problem you describe! I've tried toggling the aspect ratio settings on the console, the tv and both in every combination but no dice. No setting changes on either end fix the issue.

I was considering running some rca or component cables straight to the tv's side input to see if that would fix it (figured the problem was the HDMI cable), but it sounds like you've got yours connected directly using non-HD cables.

I did submit a ticket to Nintendo about this today, so hopefully they'll come up with a fix. If anyone has any success, please post!

tivogirl said:
I'm using a Philips 42" LCD that we've owned just over a year. It's connected to a very high end a/v receiver via HDMI cable. All of our components go through the a/v receiver except the dvd player. The Wii is connected via the a/v receiver using its supplied rca cables.

We downloaded Donkey Kong and SNES Zelda and are having the SAME exact problem you describe! I've tried toggling the aspect ratio settings on the console, the tv and both in every combination but no dice. No setting changes on either end fix the issue.

I was considering running some rca or component cables straight to the tv's side input to see if that would fix it (figured the problem was the HDMI cable), but it sounds like you've got yours connected directly using non-HD cables.

I did submit a ticket to Nintendo about this today, so hopefully they'll come up with a fix. If anyone has any success, please post!

Thank you so much for validating my problem. I called Nintendo yesterday and spoke with one tech guy. He was going to have someone else call back higher up the chain. They haven't yet. Keep me posted if you hear anything.

What do you mean "submit a ticket"?

Well we have 2 folks here with the same problem, I'm sure there are many more people out there that have contacted Nintendo so I'm sure they are aware of the problem. My guess is its a format compatibility issue. Seeing as HD LCD's use fairly new technology and those VC games were usually played on CRT TV's. It prolly has something to do with refresh rates, lines of resolution, interlace scanning or NTSC/PAL modes.

"Submit a ticket" in tech support terms means that I've opened an incident in their system. I've officially submitted the problem as a known issue and, theoretically, that means it beings its climb up the chain to solving it. It's documented.

I did read over on another thread that one guy had some success with using the just-released component cables and switching the Wii to 480p. Makes sense, as then everything up the line is digital. I'm going on a quest today to see if anyone here has the component cables yet and will report back.

FOUND A FIX!

I found and purchased a component cable today. Hooked it up, changed the setting on the Wii to 480p, and at first it didn't seem to work. I tried changing the aspect ratio on the tv and Wii in every combination and was about to give up when I got it to work!

Here's the trick (at least for me).
1. Hook up component cables
2. Change setting on the Wii to 480p
3. Start the virtual console game (it will be blank at first)
4. Hit the home button to pull up the Wii menu options over the top of the game screen (you'll see the game screen in the background).
5. Hit the continue button at the top right. When the menu goes away, the game will stay!

I had to go through steps 3-5 any time I started a virtual game, but it works every time! So hopefully there's a firmware fix for this down the road, but for now I can at least play.

Awesome post! Hopefully it works for everyone else.

Good props, gave you some rep points for that! :D

Back