Dissapointed with Wii points system

LG416

WiiChat Member
Oct 20, 2007
before the Wii was released I think I read somewhere that wii points would be based on goals acomplished in games, like passing a level in a game would give you a certain amount of points and you could then use those points to download games for the virtual consol.

I'm dissapointed to see you actually have to pay for wii points. I can't really see myself going out and buying a wii points card so I can download old games. there's a lot of old games that I love but I think it would of been way better to get rewarded points from playing wii games instead of paying for them.

I still would like to download Mario 64, Waverace 64, and Paper Mario lol I might end up giving in later on.

was it always planned that you had to pay for wii points?

i heard the same thing to where you play and do certain stuff to earn your wii points.

Surely think about profit and such, it is a corporation that wants to make money and the virtual console would of made Nintendo $30mill+ by now.

I doubt they would give away some classic games like you wanted.

Haha, They can't do an Achievement system. Xbox has it. They'd get critisied for it soooo bad

Wii_Smurf said:
Haha, They can't do an Achievement system. Xbox has it. They'd get critisied for it soooo bad

But it's ok for PS3 to copy Nintendo, a lot.

Then when we make a game that has a planet thats round we get blamed for copying off rachet and clank...:wtf:

Cpt.McCloud said:
Surely think about profit and such, it is a corporation that wants to make money and the virtual console would of made Nintendo $30mill+ by now.

I doubt they would give away some classic games like you wanted.
Yes, they've managed to make a lot of it however they probably didn't think people would be willing to buy as often and as many points as we have.

Yes it would have been cool to have a point earning system however the system has shifted direction however if they'd stayed to the original thought the only titles we'd probably see for the VC are just classic Nintendo titles. Games made by companies other than Nintendo probably would not be available not to mention the systems such as SEGA, TG16, and Neo-Geo I doubt would have ever been considered. At least, not unless SEGA titles add SEGA points to SEGA titles as SEGA mind you, wants to get paid too. The same can be said for the other developer titles we have available. :)

KrisKhaos said:
Yes, they've managed to make a lot of it however they probably didn't think people would be willing to buy as often and as many points as we have.

Yes it would have been cool to have a point earning system however the system has shifted direction however if they'd stayed to the original thought the only titles we'd probably see for the VC are just classic Nintendo titles. Games made by companies other than Nintendo probably would not be available not to mention the systems such as SEGA, TG16, and Neo-Geo I doubt would have ever been considered. At least, not unless SEGA titles add SEGA points to SEGA titles as SEGA mind you, wants to get paid too. The same can be said for the other developer titles we have available. :)

Playing royalist for the games might not of been a problem with a majority as surely they are licensed and such by Nintendo for its consoles?

I think Nintendo didnt expect the wii to be as big as it has been as a whole, look at the shortages occurring and the wii's soaring popularity.

ive heard that Nintendo is doing this thing where you can trade in stuff youve registered for star points. i think they are doing that in the UK, but im not sure.

go to this website........ they explain everything.......

http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/stars/index.jsp

they are called stars. you collect them by registering products.

250 Stars for each game registration, 500 Stars for a Nintendo GameCube or Game Boy Advance SP, or 400 Stars for a Game Boy Player!

once you have enough, you can trade in your stars for ringtones....... wallpaper...... or whatever they offer.

what im sayin is that maybe theyll start giving out Wii points like that........... :)

ZeLdA4LiFe said:
ive heard that Nintendo is doing this thing where you can trade in stuff youve registered for star points. i think they are doing that in the UK, but im not sure.

go to this website........ they explain everything.......

http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/stars/index.jsp

they are called stars. you collect them by registering products.

250 Stars for each game registration, 500 Stars for a Nintendo GameCube or Game Boy Advance SP, or 400 Stars for a Game Boy Player!

once you have enough, you can trade in your stars for ringtones....... wallpaper...... or whatever they offer.

what im sayin is that maybe theyll start giving out Wii points like that........... :)

They have rumoured it in the past and once even made wii points as an option, but all those who bought later received an e mail explaining they were testing things out and were not actually selling points and they could have a points refund or a X amount of points sent to the console electronically for the inconvenience.

Cpt.McCloud said:
They have rumoured it in the past and once even made wii points as an option, but all those who bought later received an e mail explaining they were testing things out and were not actually selling points and they could have a points refund or a X amount of points sent to the console electronically for the inconvenience.

aww..... serious?? mean, i thought they were gonna start doing that at the american website.... :(

i have a lot of stuff registered so...... yea. that sucks

Cpt.McCloud said:
Playing royalist for the games might not of been a problem with a majority as surely they are licensed and such by Nintendo for its consoles?
Licensing grants 3rd party developers to create and distribute games within Nintendo's guidelines and fees for a specific Nintendo system, however never to my knowledge has there been a game system license created to where the console owners gain royalty rights (or reprinting rights) to a title. I am sure that if Nintendo, Hudson, SNK, and SEGA could have predicted the re-release success with there previous consoles then maybe something of the sorts would have been included. That is of course developers was willing to also allow them such rights in the first place as a license can prevent games from ever showing up on a specific system as well (ahem, NES).

To sum it up, if a license does not include this option to re-produce 3rd party titles for an emulated system then Nintendo just can't do so without the owner's consent. Also I seriously doubt any owner is just going to give away there classics simply to aid in promotion of Nintendo's new console without compensation.

So then why would Nintendo risk paying out a ton in royalties to a 3rd party developers when it can provide it's own titles out of there vault for next to nothing? Nintendo might be willing to give these titles away if they thought not enough people would pay for them again as a means to promote there own console sales, but people simply don't give away stuff for free without some form of return.

In turn I am glad Nintendo switched up the point system and allowed us to buy them instead, otherwise titles outside the Nintendo circle may not be available. Sure Nintendo games are cool, but there is others as well that I am glad to be able to have access to. :)

It still would not hurt to adopt some of rewards system, however it may be too late for that. :(

KrisKhaos said:
Licensing grants 3rd party developers to create and distribute games within Nintendo's guidelines and fees for a specific Nintendo system, however never to my knowledge has there been a game system license created to where the console owners gain royalty rights (or reprinting rights) to a title.(

Console Owner gaining the rights to the reprinting rights?

I am getting a little confused here, were you referring to the consumer or the corporation?

Wii_Smurf said:
After how many times Nintendo has had their **** jacked they deserve to steal something!!!

Pertaining to the subject, I heard of this "earn your Wii points" thing too. But it was a rumor and was never officially announced by Nintendo. But that would make Nintendo lose money anyway. So I don't think it was even thought of at Nintendo.

Back