Does anyone buy games,play them, then return them?

You can't buy new games and then return them for a full refund at gamestop. But you can buy a used game and bring it back within 7 days for any reason, and they'll refund you the full price no questions asked. I did that with the DS starfox game... just wasn't nearly as good as any of the other starfox games...

I'm not really a trade-in sort of person, though I have done it with a few GameCube games in the past. While I didn't get anything near full price back for them, it did help to pay for a few new games... and it supported the thriving market for pre-owned games. :cool:

i've only returned a game once that i played it was MLB 2Kx(don't remember which year) it was for PS2, it wasn't something wrong with the disc itself but the game was very choppy so i told them at the store(Game Stop, not sure if they still do but at the time it was a 7 day return policy, opened/played or not). I exchanged it for EA Sports MLB 200x, no problem. I didn't check reviews for the game since i was familiar with the franchise and never had a problem before. I generally don't return anything unless it's defective but that game was annoying to the point of being unplayable. I try to borrow or play games at friends house's now even if it is a franchise i am familiar with just in case now. A game would have to have that kind of problem for me to return it though, not just be a bad game. If I bought a bad game, well that's my own fault.

Kyle

I buy all my games new and then trade them in for shop credit at the same shop only when i have completed the game. I've got Tiger Woods 07, Godfather and Zelda to trade in which will give me enough cash to buy GH3 rock on

I sold a few crappy GCN and GBA games to buy the DS but other than that I rarely sell my games, I choose fairly wisely.

btw, you can't return a game that you've played for a full refund. . . (as far as I know)

Any of you actually live in australia anyways??
Im telling you, people do it all the time here and just say its fualty or whatever and return it.
Also, smyth has the right idea.

if i buy a used game that is crap, or has NO replay value after i beat it in two days, then i might take it back, but i keep new games.

last time i checked at my local games stop they still have the 7 return policy, but only for exchange or store credit but still got full refund. it used to be whatever you used to pay is what you got back so if you used cash you got cash back. it makes sense why they took that away though.

I allways shop In gamestion and Return games as you have 14 days to return them if they are rubbish. I think its wrong when people want money back though, I normally just swap it for a new game or credit note.

I never buy from a shop that has no return policy.

Personally, I think we have the right to return whatever we want as long as it matches the company's rules. Most companies like taking advantage of consumers. I bought my 360 core just to rent and beat Halo 3 and take advantage of the free online for the 30 days that I have till I have to bring the system back to Wal Mart. It's going right back to Microsoft, hell If I'm going to pay $400 for a damn video game console.

KrisKhaos said:
Most places will not accept game returns if the plastic seal is broken. I am sure places like EB and others will take them back, however they do so at a severely reduced price or some gimmick to coax you into spending more money.

I personally don't like dealing with GameStop/EB, or any other "pawn shop" style game business very often, as there "cash back" is almost nothing. It is simply cheaper to rent them if you don't plan on keeping them, instead of buying them only to be ripped off when you return them. To my understanding GameStop's so called "best option" to such people is some odd point system that allows them to gain trade-in points towards other games, and to me it sounds more like a hustler's shell game than anything worthwhile. No thank you.

I use the same method except I still rent them even if I think they will be good, just to be sure. I've been burnt before, and it's worth the couple dollars extra and time spent to double check, especially if you've been let down before.

yeah...boo to not being able to return games...but I can understand why...every place I've had to deal with something like that only lets you take opened software and exchange it for the same title.

I -do- make use of the whole trade-in for cash or credit concept, granted the amount you make back isn't much, and while there are programs for things like double credit, it still takes a good few to rack up enough for a brand new title...

but consider I only do it about once a year if not less often, so when I go in I can easily rack up maybe $50-70 a trip, which if that gets me 1 less game I have to pay for, then that's exactly what it is...

look at it this way: do you really expect to be able to take new software, use it and abuse it and expect to get enough credit to make almost a 1:1 trade on a mint condition title? That's how they make their money...and if feeding that pig gets me the chance to drop a little less money on a title I might be sketchy on, then so be it.

and I loved the comment about the shell game...being a "practitioner" of said shell game, trust me when I say it's nothing like that...you will make far more money trading in games than you will betting the shells when I'm behind them.

Cheers!

Magus said:
yeah...boo to not being able to return games...but I can understand why...every place I've had to deal with something like that only lets you take opened software and exchange it for the same title.
Yes, it is the same here and I clearly understand why as well. :)

Magus said:
I -do- make use of the whole trade-in for cash or credit concept, granted the amount you make back isn't much, and while there are programs for things like double credit, it still takes a good few to rack up enough for a brand new title...

but consider I only do it about once a year if not less often, so when I go in I can easily rack up maybe $50-70 a trip, which if that gets me 1 less game I have to pay for, then that's exactly what it is...
Sure, that is one less game you have to pay for, but that's about 5 to 20 different games you are out and unable to play again without acquiring them again first. Personally I don't like that option, but that is just me.

Magus said:
look at it this way: do you really expect to be able to take new software, use it and abuse it and expect to get enough credit to make almost a 1:1 trade on a mint condition title? That's how they make their money...and if feeding that pig gets me the chance to drop a little less money on a title I might be sketchy on, then so be it.
No, I don't expect anything from them.

As far as them making money, to me that is how I LOOSE money, money I've already invested into a game. Instead of just buying whatever is fresh and new, I take a different approach, and evaluate a game before purchasing it. Unfortunately for people like brendo and others this option isn't so much an option unfortunately, and while brendo may not take back his own games, I can't blame others for doing so if they are unable to fully evaluate them first. :(

However once I buy it I will own it for a lifetime, at least until it is stolen, lost, or broken.

Magus said:
and I loved the comment about the shell game...being a "practitioner" of said shell game, trust me when I say it's nothing like that...you will make far more money trading in games than you will betting the shells when I'm behind them.

Cheers!
hahaha.... Well I know this game well, and know the best way to win is not to play. Same reason I avoid EBgames/GameStop and Pawn Shops. To each there own I always like to say.

Cheers to you too mate, and take care. :)

Back