Excite Truck European launch February 16th 2007

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
Nintendo’s off-road racing fest Excite Truck is getting ready to roar its way into Europe and the UK on February 16th 2007.

Expected to retail at around £34 (49 Euros), Excite Truck is the first Wii game to make use of the console’s SD card slot, allowing users to customise the in-game sound. Players can select their favourite MP3s from a selection on their SD Card and replace the game’s music with those tracks. Whatever your taste in music Excite Truck will be right up your street.

Heres a chunk of info from the press release.

As Nintendo’s first racing title for the innovative Wii console, Excite Truck sets the standard for motion-sensitive racing, a challenge that this game happily accepts. To control their trucks players hold the Wii Remote on its side and tilt it left and right like a steering wheel, allowing accurate and intuitive control. The skills required to be a champion don’t just stop at being able to throw the truck round corners and perform elaborate power slides. As players perform huge jumps they must tilt the Wii Remote forwards or backwards to align their vehicle’s wheels with the ground – a perfect landing will result in a vital speed boost.

In the game’s main Race Mode finishing first is not the only way to win! Clearing one stage will unlock the next, but as well as scoring points to finish a level by finishing first, players can top up their scores with points for drifting, jumping, smashing into other cars and off-roading through trees. There are numerous tracks to be unlocked ranging from snowy mountains to sandy beaches and plush jungles. Players can earn over 20 types of truck, by unlocking new ones as they progress through the game. Players can also customise their trucks by painting them with their favourite colours and it is possible to unlock special paint jobs for the various trucks by accomplishing certain achievements with one truck. When the paint jobs for all the trucks have been unlocked a special monster truck will be unlocked and available for you to enjoy.

Becoming a true master of Excite Truck isn’t an easy task as no two races are exactly the same. While racing, gamers will come across items, which change the course in real-time, causing mountains to grow and land to fall-away into the sea. The key to becoming a truly great racer is learning to respond to these dynamic changes without losing speed.

Fear not though! Perfecting your driving techniques in Excite Truck is not as mammoth a task as it seems, thanks to the game’s Challenge Mode, where players can take part in different challenges such as jumping through a sequence of rings, slaloming through gates and even crashing into other trucks to practice and polish the different techniques required.

Want to show off your new-found skills? Well never fear, Excite Truck features a multiplayer versus mode where two players can challenge each other in a one on one race around any of the unlocked tracks, using vehicles which the player has earned during the single player game.

That should have been an online multiplayer game, and have a custom maps option that people could upload and share with others, oh well just have to wait for Mario Kart.

I bought the game and can say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's gets progressively harder to beat after each successive track, which is a good thing. I've completed every track in normal Excite mode with an S rating to unlock the Super Excite mode and I can tell you Super Excite is definitely harder than it previously was.

I mean, I have yet to complete any of the Super Excite mode tracks with an S rating and I've spent more than the 6 hours it took to beat normal Excite mode.

Hotspur Warrior said:
Why along with an SD card? What purpose will the SD card serve to Excite Truck?

a fellow d.spyer in the camp?!

you can load mp3s onto the SD card and play these rather than the inbuilt soundtrack. im guessing the boyracers will go for clubland10 :D

myen said:
a fellow d.spyer in the camp?!

you can load mp3s onto the SD card and play these rather than the inbuilt soundtrack. im guessing the boyracers will go for clubland10 :D
How did you know that I also visit Digital Spy? Come to think of it, I do recognise your username, actually. Didn't think it was from Digital Spy though. Anyway, hey!

I knew that you could play MP3s while playing Excite Truck, but I didn't know you could put MP3s on SD cards. Actually, I didn't wonder at all how MP3s would get onto the Wii! How do you get MP3s onto an SD card then? Do you need some sort of adapter?

Hotspur Warrior said:
How do you get MP3s onto an SD card then? Do you need some sort of adapter?
Yes, you'll need a flash card reader connected to your PC to transfer MP3s to the SD card. There's also the option of using a digital camera w/ USB connection and an SD card slot as a substitute flash card reader.

edit: Oh yea, I've beaten all the Super Excite tracks and played the Diamond track and I have to say, it couldn't have beaten it without some of my own game driving music on the SD card.

The whole course is incredibly disorienting. The entire landscape looks like see-through glass set in a very purply-blue part of outer space. The first two runs I ended up eating alien dirt/trees/glass/whatever many times, but once you figure out the layout of the track it's all about speed, skill and thrashing your opponents in the lead.

Once you beat Diamond mode, the credits will play. But don't think the game is over just yet. The Mirror difficulty mode will show up grayed out just below Super Excite. You'll need to somehow manage S ranks in every track on Super Excite. I've only managed S rank on the first track of Super Excite Bronze on my very first run but all the other tracks seem near impossible for me to achieve the much coveted S.

I believe I've clocked over 24 hours of total playing time by now on Excite Truck. At least that isn't as bad as the 40+ hours on LoZ:TP, heh.

Last edited:
Back