Extreamlly Disappointed In Nintendo And I Will NOT Be Buying The New Super Mario Bros

jondeak

WiiChat Member
Mar 23, 2008
I have been a loyal Nintendo customer for the last 20 years. I was 8 years old when Nintendo Released the very first console and me and my Dad were right there in line at toys r us to buy it. Today, I am 28 years old and I must say that I have owned hundreds of video games and to this day my favorite video game is still the original super mario bros 1,2 and 3. For nintendo to leave out CLASSIC CONTROLLER support for this game is not only rediculious but extreamlly bad for business. I went to my local toys r us to purchase the game and there was litterally a stack of about 30 or 40 games that people have put down because it did not support the classic controller. When I approached the cashier he asked me if I needed extra controllers for the game and I said no because I ordered 4 wireless classic controllers last week just for this game And that is when he told me that it does not support the classic controller. I was shocked. I told him I did not want it and he added to that pile and told me that I was about the 40th person today who did not want to buy it because of that. This was quite possibly the worst descion Nintendo has ever made releasing a huge title like this. I do not prefer the new controls for the Wii exsept when Im playing sports games and such. It should be MY option to use whatever controller I want to. A huge part of the buyers for this game are old school nintendo players and For nintendo to not support the classic controller for the new super mario bros is assassin for the release of this game and for the sales. I will not be purchasing the new super maro bros game and as upset as I am right now I think I will be packing up my system and placing it up for sale. Enough is Enough.

even gamspots review says that the game is dissapointing because is doesnt support the classic controller.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/n.../video/6239992

fast forward to 4:25

its not just me who is complaining.....its all over the internet. this game should have been released with classic controller support. It was a horrible move on Nintendos behalf.

Last edited:
It uses the Wiimote in a side ways fashion or "NES mode" if you will

Hummm let's see a game that was created for the DS and then made into a game for the Wii and you are pi$$ed that you cannot use the classic controller instead of using the Wii remote sideways, which closely mimics the DS setup. It is a simple game that does not need a ton of buttons and there is no need for the classic controller. I bet you get mad eveytime there is a layout change in internet browsers too.

No need for the classic controller.

Hub

NSMB Wii is not the same game as NSMB DS. it's the same style but the levels are totally different, plus the co-op mode in the Wii.

i can understand why you'd be pissed but if you really wanted the 'classic' feel then wouldn't the wii remote sideways do better then the classic controller? i mean the classic controller is based off the SNES controller while the wii remote sideways is pretty close to the old NES controller, just thicker with a misplaced pause button. it seems more 'classic' to me.

You've got to be kidding me. A stack of 30 or 40 people put down "just because it didn't support classic controller"? Give me a break...

The only reason people put them down is because most of the people buying them ended up just not wanting them, or they didn't sell, it has nothing to do with lack of classic controller functionality.

It's one thing to be mad if they were to say, leave out GC controller functionality in SSBB, because the controller is so suited to that style of play, but when the controls work just fine for this game, and you can even mimic the original NES controller almost perfectly by holding it on the side, you really have no reason to be pissed off. For god's sake, it's just a simple difference in controls. How about lack of online play? Isn't that more something to be angered by?

Christ, the sheer audacity of people's ignorance just confounds me these days...

Its not about the holding the wii mote sideways, its about having the option to use the controller I want to. I personally dont like the way the wiimote feels holding it sideways. Just like how some people dont like how the wheel feels on mario kart. Its all about personal preferance. And for a game like this not to have classic controller support is senseless. Think about it, when someone thinks of the original super mario brothers what else pops up into their heads, the classic controller. They just go together !! And yes, there was a huge stack of games set aside of the register that people refused to buy, that my friend is a fact. Im not trying to start any trouble, ive been a member for over a year now. Im simply trying to voice my opinion.

Its not about the holding the wii mote sideways, its about having the option to use the controller I want to. I personally dont like the way the wiimote feels holding it sideways. Just like how some people dont like how the wheel feels on mario kart. Its all about personal preferance. And for a game like this not to have classic controller support is senseless. Think about it, when someone thinks of the original super mario brothers what else pops up into their heads, the classic controller. They just go together !! And yes, there was a huge stack of games set aside of the register that people refused to buy, that my friend is a fact. Im not trying to start any trouble, ive been a member for over a year now. Im simply trying to voice my opinion.

I didn't think you were trying to start any trouble. You have every right to your opinion. However, I just find it to be an incredibly stupid one. That's all.

Again, I don't doubt the fact there was a stack of unsold games on the side. However, the reason for which they remain unsold is most certainly NOT for the reason you stated, that's all.

You know, somebody could make a hell of a lot of money if they made a controller that used the same frequency as the Wiimote but was essentially a classic controller. Would register as a Wiimote with the system, but would be used otherwise for games, with a more sensible layout. Not a bad idea...

Its not about the holding the wii mote sideways, its about having the option to use the controller I want to. I personally dont like the way the wiimote feels holding it sideways. Just like how some people dont like how the wheel feels on mario kart. Its all about personal preferance. And for a game like this not to have classic controller support is senseless. Think about it,
. They just go together !! And yes, there was a huge stack of games set aside of the register that people refused to buy, that my friend is a fact. Im not trying to start any trouble, ive been a member for over a year now. Im simply trying to voice my opinion.

I want to use a Saturn controller on all console beat-em-ups but theres a major "wont fit" problem.

That hasn't stopped me from buying them and enjoying them with a shittyer controller
Nintendo wont care if you dont buy it as Christmas is round the corner and other people will buy it
when someone thinks of the original super mario brothers what else pops up into their heads, the classic controller
Only in your mind
Most people think of the NES or the NES controller or that song or
http://blog.mlive.com/manzero/2008/...rio-but-our-princess-is-in-another-castle.jpg
or in my case Syobon action

I didn't think you were trying to start any trouble. You have every right to your opinion. However, I just find it to be an incredibly stupid one. That's all.

Again, I don't doubt the fact there was a stack of unsold games on the side. However, the reason for which they remain unsold is most certainly NOT for the reason you stated, that's all.

If my you feel that my post is stupid and that my post contains lies then that is totally your right to feel that way even though you dont know me and for some reason you're taking this post personally which is stupid on its own. On the other hand if you took a moment to google "new super mario bros classic controller" then you could see how this is already an issue in many online forums. As for the stack of games not sold at toys r us, Im going off by what the cashier told me and if i refused to by the game then im sure a lot of other people did aswell. Although I respect you're input. You can always avoid stating biased stupid things by doing a little homework and research before hand. Regardless, I hope you enjoy your new video game.

even gamspots review says that the game is dissapointing because is doesnt support the classic controller.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/newsupermariobroswii/video/6239992

fast forward to 4:25

its not just me who is complaining.....its all over the internet. this game should have been released with classic controller support. It was a horrible move on Nintendos behalf.

Last edited by a moderator:

If my you feel that my post is stupid and that my post contains lies then that is totally your right to feel that way even though you dont know me and for some reason you're taking this post personally which is stupid on its own. On the other hand if you took a moment to google "new super mario bros classic controller" then you could see how this is already an issue in many online forums. As for the stack of games not sold at toys r us, Im going off by what the cashier told me and if i refused to by the game then im sure a lot of other people did aswell. Although I respect you're input. You can always avoid stating biased stupid things by doing a little homework and research before hand. Regardless, I hope you enjoy your new video game.

I googled it. It didn't even come up in the suggested results. I saw about 2 topics concerning it. And then I closed the window. There you go.

You can always avoid stating biased stupid things by doing a little homework and research before hand

Seriously? You mean like posting a completely pointless rant on a forum about something you can't change and nobody else cares about anyway?...Oh em eff gee. All I can say is....

WHOA.

/sarcasm

Secondly, what are you talking about? When did I ever say I was purchasing NSMB? I don't even have a Wii. I don't post things in defense of a poor purchase just because I want to try and justify it, I don't do that. I post things because I'm responding to an evidently non-well-thought-out thread. That will be all.

I googled it. It didn't even come up in the suggested results. I saw about 2 topics concerning it. And then I closed the window. There you go.

Google it again and make sure you check you're spelling cause even game spot mentioned it in their review. And its a hot topic in a handful of forums

Secondly, what are you talking about? When did I ever say I was purchasing NSMB? I don't even have a Wii.

if you dont own a Wii and you're not even planing on buying the game then why are you even here? not to mention you just joined the forum....I smell a Troll.

Google it again and make sure you check you're spelling cause even game spot mentioned it in their review. And its a hot topic in a handful of forums

Secondly, what are you talking about? When did I ever say I was purchasing NSMB? I don't even have a Wii.
if you dont own a Wii and you're not even planing on buying the game then why are you even here? not to mention you just joined the forum....I smell a Troll.

Maybe because I'm going to buy a Wii in the near future? And I use to have one? And I just like being here? I smell a Douche Bag...

the wiimote on its side would be fine but the cross pad is smaller than the nes controller and feels a bit uncomfortable.

the wiimote on its side would be fine but the cross pad is smaller than the nes controller and feels a bit uncomfortable.
(its called a D-pad)
but anyways, this is viable excuse to complain about the control scheme, cause it's true. the d-pad is just size to small and it is pretty uncomfortable.

just cause it doesn't support classic is however not but rather too many people getting bitchy about a tiny thing (that's not even a problem unless you complain about it)

Back