First Photo of New Look Wii Console

castlezelda

WiiChat Member
Feb 7, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Say goodbye to backwards compatibility if you buy a newer model of the wii (should be out around Christmas)

What do you make of this?

Not really much different

Anyone expecting a huge change for the upcoming Wii redesign might be disappointed that the console has only undergone a slight alteration, as Eurogamer's first image proves.

The console's box art shows the machine lying horizontal for the first time on a Wii hardware box, with the console logo displayed on the front too. As far as we can see, that's the biggest difference from the front, although there will be no GameCube controller or memory card ports on the side.

What do you make of this new design for Wii? Would you miss the backwards compatibility for Gamecube games?

Via http://wii.nintendolife.com/news/2011/08/first_photo_of_new_look_wii_console

... What the hell Nintendo? Really? Why would they take out backwards compatibility? =/ Unless that's saving them a ton of money, I can't see why.

... That reason's a slap in the face to long-time Nintendo fans regardless. =(

... What the hell Nintendo? Really? Why would they take out backwards compatibility? =/ Unless that's saving them a ton of money, I can't see why.

... That reason's a slap in the face to long-time Nintendo fans regardless. =(

Why on earth should they continue to support the Gamecube? If you have been holding on to your Gamecube games and accessories this long for the sole purpose of getting an extreme price break on the Wii just to play with them on the Wii, you have missed the boat by a long shot. If you are a long-time Nintendo fan and have not yet purchased a Wii, that would seem more of a slap in the face to Nintendo.

Your right. Why on earths should we have the Wii virtual console service. Why should we still have classic era games? Why should we still play fun GC games? Why does the 3ds still have a virtual shop too? Refrain from saying foolishly foolish ideas unless you thought something through.

Is 99€ It seems is going to do an only european release, so it´s ok if you never heard of it, I read about it in some spanish game related pages.

Why on earth should they continue to support the Gamecube? If you have been holding on to your Gamecube games and accessories this long for the sole purpose of getting an extreme price break on the Wii just to play with them on the Wii, you have missed the boat by a long shot. If you are a long-time Nintendo fan and have not yet purchased a Wii, that would seem more of a slap in the face to Nintendo.

I do see your point.
Thing is
There are a lot of older Wiis out there that support Game Cube, not to mention Game Cubes them self's are cheap.
Theres no real reason to buy a new one if you already have one.
A lot of people that still dont have one will probably not be arsed about Gamecube games

All past hardware revisions have gotten rid of things
Atari VCS/2600 got rid of the wooden style
Master System got rid of the reset button and card slot.
Mega Drive got rid of the head phone jack, the AV socket and replaced it all with some arse connections

Sony had about 9 PSX models(urrgh first one changed a load of times, then there was the developers one, the yarozie one and the shitty small one), the first one was the best (RGB, link ports, other ports)

I still play my GC games often. ¬_¬

Yes, it's incredibly unlikely anyone who hasn't yet bought a Wii has 'Cube games. But my point is, this is nothing more than a monetarily motivated business decision. Instead of increasing their insane profits even more, they could be focusing on something more worth everyone's time. Not just video game-less families that can already buy the same Wii. I think Nintendo already has the casual market in the palms of their hands as is, lol.

I still play my GC games often. ¬_¬

Yes, it's incredibly unlikely anyone who hasn't yet bought a Wii has 'Cube games. But my point is, this is nothing more than a monetarily motivated business decision. Instead of increasing their insane profits even more, they could be focusing on something more worth everyone's time. Not just video game-less families that can already buy the same Wii. I think Nintendo already has the casual market in the palms of their hands as is, lol.

Last time I checked, Nintendo wasn't a charity. They're in business to make money, just like everyone else. Now what does one do with the money? That is the important question.

Last time I checked, Nintendo wasn't a charity. They're in business to make money, just like everyone else. Now what does one do with the money? That is the important question.

Indeed. My point being they could more money by investing in something that involves a higher profit margin aimed at us gamers, rather than adding a bunch of free junk to their Wii packages and removing parts from said Wii. A win-win situation for everyone, not just the business.

Which actually makes me curious; is the Wii still being sold in crazy numbers? Does Nintendo still need to make more units to keep up with sales? :lol:

Back