First Wii Softmod in Development

Link_of_Hyrule

Unofficial WiiChat Helper
Jul 20, 2006
Athens, AL
Wii Online Code
7114-5214-3386-2022
If you guys haven't heard a team of people have finally cracked the Wii's security and they are making a mod that will work on the Wiis that don't have Modchips in them so a "Softmod" like the original xbox had using a glitch in the zelda save system and official nintendo encryption keys that were dumped off of the Wii its said that it would be almost impossible for nintendo to release a patch to fix the glitch and prevent it from being used.

This is for homebrew not piracy i'm sure it could be used for that eventually but it would be very hard to do because of how its being done but hopefully we will see some nice homebrew channels maybe an unofficial dvd channel and a linux channel heres the links for anyone interested

http://debugmo.de//?p=59

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=102079

This wil be great
NEw channels
Which will be churned out much faster than nintendo likes!

Link_of_Hyrule said:
lol is that all you guys have to say that its interesting? lol

Well, at least we said something, you commented on us :smilewinkgrin:

It is interesting, however Nintendo may thwart this plan, or the team may quit developing, etc. I didn't see much while I was skimming about many channels but a DVD channel might be nice.

Either way, meh.

interesting is all it is now.
at least until there is a working model

They already got hello world script to work but they haven't released anything to the public yet but they showed off some stuff at the hackers conference.

Its unlikely Nintendo will thwart it or even be able to because it would require changing the encryption keys which would cause all the current released wii games to stop working.

Plus its not really hurting Nintendo unless it begins to help the piracy community but thats unlikely because of how its done

Theres plenty of ds and gamecube homebrew out right now i'm sure that the wii homebrew will be just as much once they release the exploit

LOL Why go home brew when you can just be a wiiware developer... it's stupidly easy too! This is for piracy period... Nintendo could just release new encryption keys for all of the new Wii's . Yes some Wii's out there will still have this problem yet could nintendo also just update the Wii's channels so that it simply does not run certain files?

Also too read the post:

Like I said before the key that he got and easily be changed with in the chip which his believes is in the hollywood, and whose to say it is not different in other Wii's? What he is doing is not so much a soft mode yet some thing that would only benefit development.
If you want to call it that.

These are his own words...
really hoped I wouldn’t have to say this again and again, but some people still got it wrong:

No, my target is NOT to create a “drivechip-free warez solution”. IT IS NOT. GET THAT. I also won’t approve any pingbacks from (or comments containing links to) forums which don’t get this. It’s not my job to protect the vendor against piracy (and drivechips are already a dead easy method, what do you want more?! Also getting the hardware for free?), but I definitely don’t support that. Piracy is possible only because of the drive’s insecurity. Whether the wii itself is hacked or not doesn’t really matter in that point.

I still can’t understand how people are so stupid to claim that “there is a modchip in the making, source: debugmo.de”. This is not only wrong, it’s plain stupid. If they would have read (and understand) my post, they would have seen that my overly complex method to emulate the NAND chip is for *development* purposes, and nothing you want to build more than once. But what should I expect… (And if they didn’t understand my post - agreed, there is much technical stuff in it -, why did they draw some conclusions?)

Are you still wondering why #wiidev is such an unfriendly place? This is the answer.

Now once nintendo starts putting out different keys for this chip then thing begin to change once again.

Also too What happens if nintendo finds away to see that you did do this? Lots of data is saved to the flash drive in the Wii and we all know nintendo comes down hard of people. Some one get this guys a Wii ware sign up card before he gets snatched up!

Link_of_Hyrule said:
They already got hello world script to work but they haven't released anything to the public yet but they showed off some stuff at the hackers conference.

Its unlikely Nintendo will thwart it or even be able to because it would require changing the encryption keys which would cause all the current released wii games to stop working.

Plus its not really hurting Nintendo unless it begins to help the piracy community but thats unlikely because of how its done

Theres plenty of ds and gamecube homebrew out right now i'm sure that the wii homebrew will be just as much once they release the exploit

LOL yes they could change the encryption keys but they could also just turn you in by seeing what you ran on your Wii...LOL Remember the play time log... I think the key that he found is more like the one developers get so that they can run software. Now you have to wonder did they actually get a key or did they get the decryption algorithm. If they got the Key then that can just be flagged and pulled from the the list or either cause other things to happen. getting a hello world program to work and getting a real game to work are two different things. Nintendo really did some obscure things with this security yet that seems to be buying them time until they find another bug. The inclusion of an online serve could become a problem for this also which would be great for real Wii gamers!

Some smart guys there though yet I'm sure they don't want nintendo watching them right now and really he needs to be working on a game rather than hacking like this! He reminds me of the factor 5 guys a little.

its perfectly legal to run homebrew and contrary to popular belief not everybody who makes homebrew supports piracy and your wrong the keys are hard coded to the disks if they change them then you would have to get replacement disks and it would only be a matter of time before they got them again

Link_of_Hyrule said:
its perfectly legal to run homebrew and contrary to popular belief not everybody who makes homebrew supports piracy and your wrong the keys are hard coded to the disks if they change them then you would have to get replacement disks and it would only be a matter of time before they got them again

He was talking about the actualy key on the arm hidden in the hollywood GPU this is no disk it's more like the key you get when you are a developer. That from what I read about the hack. Also too people will try and get some for free at all cost...LOL Home brew can just go the way of Wii ware if they want it badly and if linux group wanted to they only need to apply for a lic and they can put it on the Wii, hell I would think nintendo would mind since opera is running just fine.

It's a lot easier for these guys to be legit rather than get static from nintendo. Sure it's perfectly legal for you to run it yet it may be legal for nintendo to block you from running it also. Yet hacker will alway find away! You do realize stuff like this cause them to add more security and BS to the system though.

the key on the chip is associated with a key thats on the cd and thats why only signed disks will play on an unmoded wii

All it takes to fix the exploit will be a mandatory update included in the game disc. So you'll only have a few month of fun before Nintendo puts mandatory updates on all games.

Back