Game Critics: Game of the Year Awards Announced

Hmmm, duno what happened to my post. Hopefully it wasnt deleted as I didn't say anything bad o_O

Anyway thas, are you saying multiplatformers should not be counted in GOTY awards? Are you saying it should be only 1st party exclusives? For example, Mass Effect, Uncharted and SMG? Because thats kind of like a big "**** you" to developers who make games for more than one console. Every game should have a chance. Its not like a game thats multiplatform is automatically better because its on 2+ consoles. I can't see a game having an advantage from being on more than one console because its still the same game.

T3kNi9e said:
Hmmm, duno what happened to my post. Hopefully it wasnt deleted as I didn't say anything bad o_O

Anyway thas, are you saying multiplatformers should not be counted in GOTY awards? Are you saying it should be only 1st party exclusives? For example, Mass Effect, Uncharted and SMG? Because thats kind of like a big "**** you" to developers who make games for more than one console. Every game should have a chance. Its not like a game thats multiplatform is automatically better because its on 2+ consoles. I can't see a game having an advantage from being on more than one console because its still the same game.

im not saying multiplatform games shouldnt be on that list, but they should really pick a system which it was best on. they collected votes from all consoles for a game. in the old days of gaming this would be fine but now, each platform has its own features and some are missing them.

The problem with these judges are they're usually men ages 20-40. So if they see a game like Mario (which looks like a cute lil cartoony character) they usually don't get into the game and give it low scores. Some of them also hate the wii period and some them likes just straight up FPS types of games. But if the judges were different ages, men and women, who likes all type of genres, which game do you think will win?

I doubt age had much of a factor. The same people who voted are the same people who did the reviews. The reviews for SMG were all high, so it can't be that they didn't like it. I personally Like most** types of games and I had more fun playing CoD4 and Orange Box than playing SMG. I never got to play Bioshock though.

Also about Multiplatform thas, I don't think they had like CoD4 360, CoD4 PC, CoD4 PS3 all in one category. Im pretty sure it was just CoD4 as a whole because they're the same on all platform. Same with Bioshock being the same on 360/PC.

well its all the critics opinion anyway. just because they name a game for game of the year doesnt mean everyone will like it. im not a huge fan of the fps genre and i have always hated traditional controls for fps games. that is why SMG is game of the year for 2007 for me.

Orange Box would be Game of the Year in my book but only because of Portal. That game got me to really enjoy an FPS for the first time since we used to play Quake 3 Arena in the computer science lab in college.

thas said:
well its all the critics opinion anyway. just because they name a game for game of the year doesnt mean everyone will like it. im not a huge fan of the fps genre and i have always hated traditional controls for fps games. that is why SMG is game of the year for 2007 for me.

You know the irony in that though. Everyone was happy to see the critics at gamespot name SMG GOTY even though CoD4 and Crysis had double the public votes.

Games for Windows, XBOX, PC Gamer. Somebody already said this list is biased and I'll second it. What a surprise it's a Microsoft game that wins first prize.

Games for Windows gave SMG 20 points and Bioshock 5 and Orange Box won with 25 points. I have played both Orange Box and SMG and I think Orange Box is a hell of alot better, especially with Portal and 5 games in 1.

PC Gamer didn't vote, i duno why their logo is up there

Xbox magazine also did not vote so i duno why their logo is up there.

PC Gamer and Xbox Mag probably wasn't allowed to vote or something. PSM voted for Orange Box 2 points over Bioshock (a Microsoft game)

Nintendo Power probably would have voted SMG but that would not made much of a difference in the standings

Atomheart said:
How would have that changed the list at all (if they picked the console on which the game was best)? It wouldn't have. The only difference would be that the list of GOTY per console would be different, which in reality really doesn't even matter. For example, even if Orange Box on the 360 were to win GOTY, the PS3 would still have a GOTY quality game even if it didn't get the win (due to the one console rule).

The Orange Box on the PS3 was not a GOTY quality game.. it received between 7's and 8.5's by most reviewers. And, if you made a top ten list for PS3 game of the year.. it wouldn't be on there.

But Call of Duty 4 was almost as great on PS3 as it was on 360 (Going by reviewers mind you).. as it Rock Band. And from what I've read, Assassin's Creed, which I got for 360, is actually better on PS3. But, I still think the list would be different if we were just looking at PS3/Wii/PC games.. Probably quite a bit different.

Last edited:
The Orange Box got lower reviews because PS3 had glitches and framerate problems because Valve said that PS3 is a waste of time. So EA did the port and they did it bad. But you still aren't making any sense. How does having it on more than 1 console give it an advantage?

Even if it were CoD4, Orange Box, Bioshock, Assassins Creed, and RockBand for the 360 and nothing else. It would still be the same standings because the games are still better than SMG. Ive played all the games except Bioshock and I know for sure that they were better than SMG. Of course this is my opinion but looking at the standings, I guess im not the only one who thinks that.

Are you saying that someone would vote for the PC version of Bioshock but not 360? Because its the same exact game on a different platform. Same with Bioshock/OrangeBox/Rockband/CoD4

Back