GamePros's: SSBB, The good, the bad, and the ugly (SPOILERS)

Vigilante

The Conspiracy Theorist
Feb 6, 2008
Wiichat
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
I picked up this magazine thinking that they would be giving the game a good pre-review, (this was before anything was leaked, sometime in early January), but I was wrong, they pointed out ridiculous bad aspects of the game and a few good aspects.

Win, Lose or Brawl
Brawl might not be a complete knockout. Here's what Brawl does right... and wrong

Good
-New Features like stage building and online battles give Brawl longer legs than ever
-A multitude of control options allows almost anyone to be comfortable with the gameplay
-The most diverse roster ever, pulling in a few non-Nintendo favorites like Snake and Sonic
-Famous background music from noted game composers.

Bad
1.Brawl adds new faces, but some old favorites might not make the final cut
2.The Assist Trophy is great for getting more Nintendo characters in the game, but it's not much different than a Pokeball
3.The stage builder shows great promise, but it looks a little simplistic
4.The expanded story mode should be a fun way to see these all-stars interact, but Melee's wasn't so fun

Ugly
5.Online voice chat is par for the course for Nintendo, but light-years behind other fighters
6.Thegameplay hasn't evolved much from the N64 days. Might Brawl make the formula stale?
7.Motion control is barely utilized, lest it give Gamecube players a disadvantage
8.Three fighters from the Kirby series? One is more than enough.

Okay, just to point this out, the good aspects are personal opinion, but if they were to say the game is going to be awesome because Princess Peach is on the cover, that good aspect is so opinionated, that not everbody will agree with it, but the good aspects they point out, still are personal opinion, but easily agreed with, and not contraversol like some if not most of the bad and ugly aspects.

These are all my opinions on the article, agree with them, disagree, just wanted to post it.

Bad aspect #1: Earlier in the artilce they make note that Ness, Jigglypuff, Marth, and Roy might not return (of course which Roy didn't), which they gave reasons to prove so, but they're taking this out of the valid aspect area, and they had no idea wether or not these characters were in Brawl, but they defaulted them as not in the roster to use that as a bad aspect. Now they could mean Mewtwo, which is understandable, but the article's aspect says "but some old favorites might not make the final cut", so some of that aspect could be understandable and respected as a valid aspect IMO.

Bad aspect #2: So what if they're like Pokeballs, would they rather not have them at all, obviously if they're considering it as a bad reason IMO.

Bad aspect #3: I agree, I think Stage Builder does show great promise but the way they worded the last part of the sentence, "but it looks a little simplistic", Yeah :shocked: ... but I guess it would be a bad aspect anyway if it was too complicated aswell, I think its a great aspect of being simplistic, and by using the word "looks", it sounds to me like they haven't had much experience with it.

Bad aspect #4: I have to say... This has to be the most ridiculous reason so far. So what... Again, if Melee's story mode sucked, what does that have to do with Brawls, I don't think they should go on how Melee's story mode was to equal it to Brawls, it, again, sounds like they haven't any experience with SSE, but thats just me.

Ugly aspect #5: This aspect some agree with, personally I don't care if it has it either way, this aspect, so far is understandable and respectable to me.

Ugly aspect #6: Sakurai said in one of the "Iwata asks" that he didn't want to change the gamplay to a 3-D platform becasue players might not like the change, it just goes to show you, you can't please everyone, at least IMO.

Ugly aspect #7: I think if they would have used it too much in Brawl it would have ruined that type of control. Again, Sakurai said he didn't want to put too much motion controls in the game because Brawl is just not that type of game. Now if they would of implemented entirly in the Wiimote and Nunchuk they would say the motion controls suck. BTW, I would imagine that the Wiimote & Nunchuk players are at a disadvantage to Gamecube controller players IMO.

Ugly aspect #8: This is opinion that some might agree with, but I see Meta-Knight as a great balanced player, but I'll make a definet opinion when I get the game, but this reason is understandable to me IMO, but I don't agree with it.

Now the magazine makes no note that this is opinion, and they make the aspects to sound as fact to me, if they weren't trying to.

Last edited:
yeah that was released a while ago, it's complete bull really, # 4 on the bad? wth?

and they complain a lot about additions to the game, which is dumb, say they complain about stage builder, would it be better if they didn't include it at all?

That is exactly why I don't trust Game critics.

This really does prove how much nintendo and the wii is put down in the game critic world. Like ever on Gamespot where they had an announcement for Brawl (I forget the article) I swear I at least saw 75% of all of the comments totally against SSBB. And game critics totally discriminate the wii alot.

Back on topic, some of there reasons are ridiculous really I mean come on reasons 2, 4, 6, 7, and 8 are really pointless

one point id just like to make is that the wii is supposed to revolutionize the video game interface instead of be about graphics while SSBB is not a game you really need the wii for. you need nintendo for it but its more a gamecube style game then a wii style game.

Whining GamePro Morons said:
Bad
1.Brawl adds new faces, but some old favorites might not make the final cut
2.The Assist Trophy is great for getting more Nintendo characters in the game, but it's not much different than a Pokeball
3.The stage builder shows great promise, but it looks a little simplistic
4.The expanded story mode should be a fun way to see these all-stars interact, but Melee's wasn't so fun

Ugly
5.Online voice chat is par for the course for Nintendo, but light-years behind other fighters
6.The gameplay hasn't evolved much from the N64 days. Might Brawl make the formula stale?
7.Motion control is barely utilized, lest it give Gamecube players a disadvantage
8.Three fighters from the Kirby series? One is more than enough.

1. If you ask me, I'd rather see a **** load of new characters rather than a few old timers.
2. ...Is that a bad thing? Who doesn't love some more "Pokemon"?
3. Stages are supposedly designed to be fought in. They've not supposed to be great works of art; just look at Final Destination!
4. ...What's melee got to do with it? SSE has got a phenomenal storyline.
5. Since when has voicechat been confirmed for Brawl anyway? And if it has, I'm pretty sure some mad props are in order for the big N.
6. Psh. Tell that to Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4.
7. Most of us would rather not be faced with gimmicky motion-sensing controls for such a fast-paced and relexive game.
8. I smell a heaping bowl of hate toward Kirby. Not a real reason.

In short, this game will be godly. Anyone who says otherwise can expect a deep fat frying.

I have a feeling more critics will be making articles like these.

Its wii discrimination i say and i know what discrimination is im foreign! I think they just get payed by mircosoft and sony to make the wii look bad or there just total fanboys i mean: Three fighters from the Kirby series? One is more than enough. That is kinda saying that kirby is not even needed i mean WTF!!! but i do say that nintendo needs to have get online voice chat and making friends without a huge friend code

Just to point out, this looks like speculation aka bs, and also, if motion control was heavily utilized it would suck and everyone would ***** about it. Also, the gameplay has evolved, SMASH BALLS, Assist trophies anyone? why do people want to find flaws in great games?

Did Halo 3 get this much hogwash negativity, to put it frankly.

Lugia said:
what do items have to do with evolving a game?
it adds a new element to the game, a new way to strategize. what my friend, would be evolving the game?? pardon me, evolving the game so that everyone likes it?

some people you just can't please, apparently

Just about one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Why would any critic even compare the game to Melee? Plus, I don't think anybody wanted motion controls or a different version of the whole game itself.

Back