Getting "An error has occurred" when trying new Skylander Swap force

Wiidow

WiiChat Member
Oct 19, 2013
Hi

I just bought new Skylanders swap force and have huge problems getting the Wii console to read the disc.
A mechanical rattling noise occurs when the CD spins and then a message will appear on the screen:
" Error has occured . Press eject and remove the disc .. "

When I switch to old Skylanders Giants game , everything works flawlessly , but as soon as I put in Swap-force CD, that are completely new and do not have any obvious errors , so the problem will return.

There was a tip online that the two flaps that fold up at the entrance after the disc has stopped in may lie against the CD if they have been bent in, but it seems not to be the case here. The sound seems to come from the read side of the CD then on the page where the read head sits .
I got the game to work for a few minutes when I tried to squeeze and bend a bit with my fingers of the top and CD-input. However, the game freezed later and a high howling noice arose until I cut the power . This freeze has happened before, but not too often.
I do not understand how two discs , apparently identical , may behave so differently.

Does anyone have an explanation and perhaps even a solution to this problem?

How the hell do ya think they found this site? And the supposed tip? -_-

... As for the problem at hand, I'd love t' be more helpful than the above member, but I've no experience with Skylanders specifaclly. Despite that, I may have the faintest idea as to what your problem is. If your Wii is gettin' old and has clocked quite a few hours of disc-reading playtime, the disc drive can begin to struggle with certain types of games: "dual-layered discs". Google tells me Skylanders Swap-force is apparently dual-layered, whereas Skylanders Giants may not be. If the case is your Wii can't read dual-layered discs any longer, it could be any number of problems that's causin' this. The disc reader's lens may be out of place, or perhaps dusty.

The former will generally require professional assistance if you're not familiar with tinkering about in an electronic's guts. The latter could be cured with a disc-cleaning kit specifically for the Wii, though I don't know the success rate for usin' one'a those to clean out your disc drive.

Thank you Splash-King. That helped me a bit.
I had no idea Swap force was dual layered and Giants wasn´t. Without knowing too much of how the reading really works, I can assume that dual layers require better precision and calibration of the machine.
I think I will start the easy way by testing a simple cleaning kit. If this doesn´t work I might consider opening it up and check the alignment of the motor parts.

And as Splash-King said, it was by googling the problem I found this site. =)

Glad I could help.

If the cleaning kit don't do it, I imagine realigning the lens probably will. From what I've noticed, dust buildup and the lens decalibration are the most common causes for issues with dual-layered discs.

I think it´s all solved now.

I was curious about the rattling noice, so I opened the console and played the CD while it was open.
The sound came from the laser head moving "desperately", trying to find a track on the dual layered Swap force CD.
Once again I tried the single layered Giants CD which was smooth and quiet.
I cleaned the reading head carefully with a wet cotton tip and reassembled the console.
Now, Swap force starts as it should. That´s it. The dual layers simply requries a clean lens, at least in my case.

Thanks very much for the tips!

Happy t' hear it was such an easy (and free) fix. =)

And thank you for tellin' exactly how ya fixed the problem. The more threads we can reference to for other troubleshooters, the better.

Back