Hey guys I need your help Part 3

Mikeo22

WiiChat Member
Oct 29, 2007
So i have another question about live lol, so i have an old pc but it has no modem and i already have a wireless router. so if i put the pc and the router in my room. Can i setup live or do i need to connect the router to a modem. Or can i just go ahead and plug my router straight into my pc for a live connection? so basically would i need a modem or do i already have enough stuff.

Everyone who has broadband should already have a modem. So im assuming you have DSL/Cable?

You need to connect your modem to the router and the router to the 360. Since you have a wireless router im guessing you have a wireless adapter on your 360? If so thats all you need to do to set it up. If if you dont have the wireless adapter you still need to connect your 360 to the router.

You also do not need a PC to connect to live, just a modem, router, or both.

Let me set this straight i have two pc's one downstairs with a modem and a wireless router. I have another pc with no modem that i put in my room which is upstairs. Because i dont want to play live downstairs by my computer with a crappy tv. So my question do i need to by another modem for my room pc? or i can just somehow connect the router to the computer then to 360. And no i dont have a wireless adaptor thats why im putting an old pc in my room so i dont have to buy the wireless adaptor

Last edited:
Okay, I get it now.

You cannot connect your 360 to your PC, then your PC to your router because there's only 1 slot to plug in the ethernet cord.

So you have to connect your 360 directly into your PC and your PC needs to have wireless connection to reach your router. If your PC does not have a wireless connection, then your setup wont work and you're either going to have to move your Xbox Down stairs, connect your Xbox/PC to the router with a long ethernet cord, or just buy the wireless adapter.

or couldnt i just buy another modem for my upstairs pc?

You mean a router? I don't think you can use 2 modems at once unless you pay your internet company more. But if you get another wireless router, then I think you can connect your Xbox into the router easily and get a wireless connection from the Xbox to the router that has the modem plugged into it...
Did that make sense?

But anyway, why buy another router? Aren't they somewhat expensive? I haven't bought a router or looked at its prices in a while, but wouldnt the wireless adapter be cheaper?

umm no lol the wireless adaptor is 100 and routers can go for 40-50 lol so if i buy another router, will that work?

Oh, wow its cheap now days :p

Well, yea it should work. Im pretty sure if you buy a wireless router and connect a short ethernet cord to it then it would be kind of like having the wireless adaptor. It should pick up a signal from your other router.

Back