Hulu (-) on Wii? Or any device?

trollface

WiiChat Member
Apr 5, 2011
co
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Out of rage I cancelled my Dish "service"... Long story kinda short... We would have had to pay thousands to get our giant locust tree "topped" in order to keep service. Also, they charged us $300 for a DVR because it had dust in it. Plus they stopped serving AMC >>> No Walking Dead or Breaking Bad.

Anyway we got a Roku which is pretty awesome. We tried Playon which is also awesome but we dont have a free dedicated PC to encode & serve. Its just not something we want...

The problem is my GF wants Hulu (-) just the regular online Hulu.

The only solution I can come up with is a PC media center which I dont want to do...

Does anyone know how to get regular Hulu on any device?

Thanks!

Isnt it on the Wii/360/PS3 or am I thinking of something else?

^ Netflix.

loldish

I've no experience with Hulu 'n what not, but the Wii U does have Hulu. ... If you'd care to invest that media center cash into one, that's a not-as-poor possibility perhaps.

Mod edit: DOUBLE POSTINGGGGGGGGGG?!?!?!

OK Im referring to regular hulu not hulu+

If we wanted hulu+ we would just buy hulu+... But hulu+ has a lot less content...

Hulu has a problem with non PC devices like tablets, phones, Roku etc accessing hulu(-) which is understandable. First they wouldn't make any subscription monies and the whole idea of hulu+ would be a fail.

Isnt it on the Wii/360/PS3 or am I thinking of something else?

You can get hulu+ on nearly any device but Im trying to get hulu-... The regular online version.

Last edited by a moderator:
And now im confused.

This is why I try not to use web players

Mod edit: DOUBLE POSTINGGGGGGGGGG?!?!?!

I do not recall the events of the date in question...

And now im confused.

This is why I try not to use web players

Yeah it's f-ing confusing... But this is probably the future of TV so F satellite and cable. They do a good job of suppressing the concept but for us younger people cable & satellite are gonna eventually go the way of the land line and phone book. If were already paying for a decent internet connection **** that ugly Dish and **** paying $80 a month to watch 5 or 6 channels.

So heres some possible solutions...

Android mk802 <<< Perfect excuse to finally get one) Find a minimal linux distro with XBMC and try the Hulu desktop = micro htmc with lots of good freeeee content. We do have Amazon Prime and HBOGO so this combined with all the free content on Roku is way more than enough entertainment then we could ever watch in a lifetime.

Or get a Roku XS and try to boot linux from flash or external HD. Or maybe emulate Roku... Do not know if possible...

Or use scrap laptop parts and build a micro axt machine. Goes against my plan to not have a dedicated PC but Im ok with a really small one.

Last edited:
They are ment to be good, a £40 pocket PC thats got a decent spec?

Yuuuuup

I have no idea what this means...:confused5:

Its gonna be a real POS but what can you really expect from a PC the size of a thumb drive? $50 and free shipping on Amazon... I can't complain and if it doesnt work out it will still be fun to play around with.

1ghz CPU, 500 mhz GPU, 1GB DDR3 Ram, wifi, HDMI, USB2... Even comes with a HDMI cable.

Maybe pair with this

http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-Entertainment-Wireless-Keyboard-TouchPad/dp/B003UE52ME/ref=pd_sim_e_3

or this

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Contr...UTF8&qid=1347919090&sr=1-1&keywords=pc+remote

Good for steaming and that, probs wont run games made in the past 10 years, might run 1080p video, id get the keyboard

Good for steaming and that, probs wont run games made in the past 10 years, might run 1080p video, id get the keyboard

Im not counting on 1080... Would be nice but Im not that particular... After all Im a wii owner:ee5k: They say it can handle 1080 with Ubuntu but its default is 720.

Definitely leaning toward the keyboard. Tho I would like a traditional remote as long as I can get a good UI going.

Found a nice used Dell PowerEdge workstation/server with 2x quad core 2.8ghz. Would make a sweet all in one machine but GD >>> Do Not Want...

Theres always the Raspberry Pi, if you can get one, it isnt Android but is made for Linux (all be it a stripped down version)and I think I read somewhere it can to 1080p

Yep love the Pi but doesn't have on-board wifi... Ive a stash of dongles... Not a deal breaker... The GPU looks decent but 700MHz is > Xbox 1... and 256MB ram non-upgrade-able :ee5k: On the plus I don't see it overheating... and I can buy or build a custom case. Since it is built for linux *hallelujah* community dev!

The Xbox ram is upgradeable (cant link for legal reasons), but its ment to be bloody hard to do.

Oh wait read it wrong, (2am urgh)

Just an update...

Heres what we got.

PlayOn doesnt play well with our Roku... It sucked... Which is weird because I can stream Blu-ray using Plex from my laptop beautifully... So logically, I thought Roku would stream better than the Wii... I cant get **** to stream from Plex to Wii...

So finally the other night I thought Id finally check out PlayOn on the Wii...

Works perfectly! :confused5:

So for now we have Hulu(-) on the Wiis!!! Also Amazon Prime thru PlayOn on the Wiis. PlayOn has a lot of good media!

The computer were using is pretty low end, esp for video. Id say marginal at best... Its just a AMD 2X core 1.65 GHz with 4GB RAM Windows 7 x64.

So Ive not yet decided if I want to go full on HTMC... It would be cool to have all my movies cataloged on a server and have regular internet access on my TVs which would pretty much replace cable with a ton of options like recording. But for now Im pretty satisfied with our current setup + gotta save for the wedding...

Several years ago I cut the cord and went to an outdoor TV antenna. I pick up around 26 digital channels local with 8 of those being HD. I use our Wii to funnel in Netflix. We have more than enough good stuff to watch. It replaced our cable and we have never regretted it. Fact is we are more satisfied than we have ever been and we are saving a bundle.

I have thought about hooking up an old PC that I have to our HDTV just to funnel more content like the regular HULU, but we have more than enough to watch right now.

Back