IGN Nintendo's Most Anticipated Games of 2008

vashivihan

Let There Be Rock
Oct 24, 2007
canada
Wii Online Code
8799-9801-1544-7718
January 25, 2008 - Wii's first year was astonishingly strong, and as we move from 2007 to 2008 it's hard to imagine Nintendo keeping quite as much momentum as a full year of sold out systems and AAA titles did. Still, there's a ton already on the plate for both Wii and its handheld companion, and as such the IGN Nintendo Team has grouped together and shown off our initial top ten titles titles for 2008. Listed below are each editor's personal picks, taken from both Nintendo Wii, and Nintendo DS. Later this year we'll revisit these picks, and see what changed, and what stayed the same. We encourage you to check out our list, leave your comments in our article feedback area below, and get posting on forums and blogs with your own Top 10 Picks of 2008.

Enjoy.

Matt's Most Anticipated Games of 2008

10) Animal Crossing Wii
Genre: Simulation
Developer: Nintendo
Publisher: Nintendo

Why?: You can go ahead and call this my wishful thinking selection. We all know that Animal Crossing is in development for Wii. We also know that it's been underway for a good deal of time. I'm hoping Nintendo will go ahead and pull back the curtain on the project at E3 2008 and that we'll be lucky enough to have it in hands by the end of the year. (It's pretty optimistic, but why not?) A more fleshed out city structure, DS and Wii compatibility, Mii integration, and, of course, a robust online mode are all musts for this anticipated sequel. Rumors abound suggest that Animal Crossing may land on Wii as a massively-multiplayer online game.

9) Boom Blox
Genre: Puzzle
Developer: EA
Publisher: EA

Why?: Right -- probably not a game that's on the radars of most Wii owners. All the same, Boom Blox has me intrigued with its simple utilization of the Wii remote and heavy emphasis on physics and puzzles. The title is the product of a collaboration between EA and director Steven Spielberg and while I seriously doubt that the latter did much more than give the nod here and there, the fact that he's even involved means that the project will be given priority attention by the publisher. So far, only a brief demo video has been released and I think it looks very promising indeed.

8) Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
Genre: RPG
Developer: Bioware
Publisher: SEGA

Why?: Very little is known about this project, but even so, I've got all the information I need to secure the effort a spot on my most wanted list. One, it stars a cast of characters from the Sonic the Hedgehog universe. Two, it's a full-blown RPG for Nintendo's handheld. And three (and perhaps most importantly) it's developed by Bioware -- the same company behind KOTOR and Mass Effect. I really can't wait to see what the studio does with SEGA's famous franchise and I'll be first in line to pick the finished product later this year.

7) ASH
Developer: Mistwalker

Why?: If you blinked, you might have already missed this little-known game's Japanese release. (I think Japan might have, too.) ASH stands for Archaic Sealed Heat and this is an RPG developed by Mistwalker (you know, the studio headed by Hironubu Sakaguchi, who created the Final Fantasy series) whose storyline encapsulates everything from a mythical flame to the afterlife and time travel. Sounds wacky, I love the art style and the combination of turn-based strategy and RPG elements has my interest piqued. Only downside? The game was widely panned by Japanese critics. But hey, Metroid Prime wasn't exactly a critical blockbuster in the homeland, either.

6) Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
Genre: Action
Developer: Team Ninja
Publisher: Tecmo

Why?: Thank you Team Ninja for finally realizing that holding the DS traditional style and trying to also use the stylus is, at the very least, uncomfortable. With Dragon Sword, you hold the handheld book form and it feels absolutely wonderful, thanks in large to the fact that the developer has not only rendered a very beautiful looking action title, but supplied very competent stylus controls to complement it. I've only played through a brief demo thus far, but it was more than enough to convince me that I absolutely have to own this pioneering DS effort upon its release.

5) King's Story
Genre: RPG Simulation
Developer: Cing Inc.
Publisher: Marvelous Interactive

Why?: Read our official description for this game sometime and you too will be convinced. "The makers of Wish Room, Harvest Moon, Chulip, Final Fantaxy XII and Dragon Quest VIII team up..." Uh-huh. King's Quest doesn't have an official US release date yet, but it'll get here sooner or later. When it does, you'll be able to jump into a truly stylized 3D world filled with rich characters and gorgeous settings. Your goal is to become king and manage your kingdom -- expect a satisfying mix of RPG elements and simulation-inspired challenges along the way.

4) Disaster: Day of Crisis
Developer: Monolith Software

Why?: There are two reasons Disaster ranks so highly on my most wanted list. First, it's developed by a proven software house -- the same guys who made Baten Kaitos. Second, I love the theme. You take on the role of an anti-hero trying to stop terrorists from setting off a nuke after a series of disasters -- from earthquakes to floods and everything in between -- ruin the city. Gameplay looks like a mix of run-for-your-life action and Metal Gear inspired gunplay. And the visuals aren't bad, either. I've got my fingers crossed that it all comes together.

3) Wii Fit
Genre: Sports/Exercise

Why?: Ahem. I know, I'm a hardcore gamer so why do I even care about Wii Fit? I happen to think the title perfectly embodies Nintendo's new approach to reach the expanded audience. And I'm not going to lie: I'm really excited to start playing / using it with my family. I've been messing around with the Japanese import already and I can confirm that you really do get a good workout out of some of the challenges, particularly those involving yoga and strength training. Nintendo has found a way to make exercise fun for the masses and I think Wii Fit is going to be huge.

2) Mario Kart Wii
Genre: Racing

Why?: I have exceptionally fond memories of Mario Kart 64 and while Double Dash wasn't everything that it could've been, in my opinion, I'm convinced that Mario Kart for Wii will be. This because Nintendo seems to be approaching the game as a true sequel and not merely a quickie update. You've got all the trademark characters from the series and then some. You've got old and new weapons and items to play around with. You've got new vehicles, like motorcycles, to race. And you've got enhanced visuals, too. But best of all is that Mario Kart is going to feature the best online component of any Wii title to date.

1) Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Genre: Kicking Ass

Why?: Really, the question should be, why not? There are so many reasons why this is my most anticipated game that I simply don't have enough room to list them all. In short, it's the sequel to one of the greatest fighters ever and it ups the ante in every regard, featuring more mascot characters than ever before, more levels, more interactive elements completely overhauled single-player mode, spruced up visuals, and a (hopefully) fabulous online mode. I mean, the game also has playable versions of Pit, Sonic, and Solid Snake, for crying out loud. As a Nintendo fan, I cannot resist this level of nostalgic temptation.

Other Games Worth Noting: I knocked a few must-haves off the main list that definitely deserve a mention. First up is Okami, a fantastic game on PlayStation 2 and one that I always felt would flourish on Nintendo's console. I'm glad it's coming and can't wait to give it a go with the Wii remote. Professor Layton is another. Bully, Ninja Reflex, Worms, and particularly Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2008, which looks to have amazing Wii controls. Of course, de Blob and Wii Love Golf, too. But mostly, it's the games that we don't all yet know about -- the ones that are sure to be announced in the near future -- that I'm excited about. The reborn franchises, the original IPs, and the anticipated sequels. Come on, Capcom -- throw us another Zack & Wiki and this time put some marketing muscle behind it, too.

Craig's Most Anticipated Games of 2008

10) Ultimate Card Games
Genre: Card
Developer: Cosmigo
Publisher: Telegames

Why?: Okay, it's starting to get a little crazy: Ultimate Card Games was one of – if not the first – third-party game to be announced for the Nintendo DS system back in 2005, and here we are, the first part of 2008. And…nothing. Look: I loved the original Game Boy Advance compilation, and have been looking forward to the Nintendo DS version for, literally, years. It's a collection that would work extremely well on the DS thanks to its portability and its touch screen controls, as well as its ability to broadcast on the internet. But for now, we just have to dream about its potential, because Ultimate Card Games has gone the way of Duke Nukem Forever. One of these days it'll come out. Please?

9) New International Track and Field
Genre: Sprts
Developer: Sumo digital
Publisher: Konami

Why?: The original Hypersports/Track & Field arcade game is among my top 10 arcade machines of all time – I can't resist dropping a quarter into one every time I see a machine in the wild. I was also a huge fan of the original PlayStation International Track and Field, so I'm hoping – with this "new" version Konami's creating for the Nintendo DS – that the portable rendition manages to retain a lot of what made the original and the PlayStation remake so freakin' good. The extensive assortment of goodies, like characters and events, is cool to see, and hopefully the same focus is being applied to its gameplay.

8) SEGA Super Star Tennis
Genre: Sports
Developer: Sumo Digital
Publisher: SEGA

Why?: The Virtua Tennis series is one of my favorite tennis series ever, and now SEGA's working with the developer to do the Mario Tennis thing…but with its own set of characters. The company's got quite a few cool characters in its arsenal, from the Jet Grind Radio kid to Nights, so it'll be awesome to see how these guys work the court with their own unique personalities. As long as the core tennis mechanic remains Virtua Tennis, I'm a happy camper.

7) Okami
Genre: Adventure
Developer: Ready at Dawn
Publisher: Capcom

Why?: When the original Okami hit the PlayStation 2 a couple of years ago, I really, really wanted to put as much time into the product as I could. The whole Wolf Adventurer thing really appealed to me, as did the Paint on the Canvas gameplay mechanics. But I ran out of free time, and then it got lost in my "unfinished videogame" pile…and sat. Ready at Dawn's already proven to me to be extremely capable in wowing on restrictive hardware (Daxter PSP), so I have faith that the team will produce a Wii version that'll kick the PS2 edition's ass…and bring the Paint of the Canvas mechanic to a system that makes much more sense.

6) Wii Fit

Why?: There's no question that I struggle to stay in shape. Let's face it, before I worked the Atkins thing a few years ago, I was rather huge. And now that I'm slowly gaining back the weight I lost I need every excuse to stay active so that I don't get back up to my previously ginormous size. Wii Fit might not be the miracle device to turn fat-asses into glamour models, but at the very least it'll give me one more opportunity to burn some calories while still getting in my videogame fix.

5) Mario Kart Wii

Why?: Every Nintendo console since the Super NES days has received a version of Mario Kart, and the Nintendo Wii is no different. I've been a huge fan of the series since the original Super Mario Kart, and have enjoyed every version (in various levels) thereafter. So of course I'm super excited for the motion-controlled edition. I don't really care about the steering wheel pack-in for the game, and the whole online component better be thought out better than the Nintendo DS version. Oh, and snaking. Ditch the snaking and I'll be happy.

4) Guitar Hero DS
Genre: Music
Developer: Red Octane
Publisher: Activision Blizzard

Why?: When Activision bought Red Octane last year, the publisher made the announcement that the Guitar Hero franchise (pretty much the reason why Activision bought Red Octane) would be making its way to the Nintendo DS. After that…nothing. Activision has yet to go on the record with where the Nintendo DS version is or when it's coming out, but I've been hearing things. Very good things. Things so good, in fact, that if you heard these things you'd be excited for a Nintendo DS version of Guitar Hero too. You'll just have to trust me on this one, but one thing's for sure, if these things truly happen, you'll be hearing these things officially very, very soon.

3) Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles
Developer: Valve
Publisher: Ubisoft

Why?: I haven't played much of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Assassin's Creed, but I've seen enough of the games to A) not be on the "Hate it with a passion" side of the fence that seems to be the case in the office, and B) to be excited for the Nintendo DS continuation of the series. Early screenshots show that the game has the potential to be a slick smaller cousin to the console game, with design elements that work with the strengths and weaknesses of the handheld hardware. It looks more like a 2D/3D hybrid of Prince of Persia, which isn't a bad thing at all.

2) Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword

Why?: Tecmo's Itagaki may be bold and confident in everything he does in the game industry, but in the case of Ninja Gaiden DS, he has every right to be. What his team has created for the Nintendo DS is something really special: a brilliant take on the Ninja Gaiden action series the studio created on the Xbox, but controlled exclusively with taps, strokes and swipes on the touch screen. Every time Itagaki comes by the office to show the latest iteration, I want to keep playing. Hopefully the final product will hold up because I'm super excited for its release.

Genre: Fighting

Why?: Little known fact: I wrote the Official Strategy Guide for the Nintendo 64 version of Super Smash Bros. I was a huge fan of the game when it launched in Japan and when Nintendo of America was biting its nails trying to figure out if it should release a game that featured all of its characters beating up on each other. The GameCube game was spectacular and the Wii version looks like it could be the most extensive and full featured videogame ever created. How can I say no to that?

Other Games Worth Noting: The one thing I really can't mention in my Most Anticipated Games list is how excited I am for Virtual Console titles. Nintendo doesn't reveal its hand until pretty much the Monday when the games hit the Wii Store, so it's hard to know ahead of time what games are going to hit this year. All I can say is what I hope will show up. I want Pilotwings, both the SNES version and the Nintendo 64 version. I want the original Star Fox SNES game. I want Baseball Stars for the NES. And I want releases from US publishers: how about Midway's San Francisco Rush games released on the N64? Sucker Punch's Rocket: Robot on Wheels deserves a second life, too. There's more to gaming history than Japanese designed games, guys.

Bozon's Most Anticipated Games of 2008

10) Winning Eleven: Pro Evo Soccer 2008
Developer: Konami
Publisher: Konami

Why?:A soccer game? On my top ten? Believe me, I'm as shocked as you are. Truth is, after watching the one (and only) gameplay video we've got on the game, I'm convinced that Pro Evo will use the Wii remote better than any other sports game out there; Madden included. Cursor passing, and the ability to actively trace paths of your AI players mid-game with Wii's IR changes the game completely. You want to know how to make a good hockey game on Wii? Take a look at its off-ice European counterpart. Just like hockey, soccer is all about orchestration and teamwork. Finally it's not just "one man against the world" but actually a full team effort. This has serious potential.

9) Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Genre: Strategy
Developer: Square Enix
Publisher: Square Enix

Why?: It was the top strategy game on GBA, and it has potential to take its place among the top on DS again, as the FF Tactics series is given new life this year, complete with dual screen presentation and touch control. Will it surpass what the GBA experience brought? Hard to tell at this point, but there's some serious potential for greatness with FFTA2, and you better believe I'll be knocking Square's door down to get you coverage as soon as possible. The bar is about to be raised.

8) Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Ring of Fates
Genre: Action RPG
Developer: Square Enix

Why?: Unlike its console counterpart, we know for sure that Ring of Fates will be hitting store shelves sometime this year, and since we've already gone hands-on with the game, I can more than justify putting this one on my top ten list. It has some frame issues in four player multiplayer, but the experience is so fleshed out and entertaining that it's easily one of the best Square games on DS to date, and that say a lot. Square Enix has been bringing serious support to DS, and it's really paying off. An astonishing four out of ten titles on my list are SE games, and that was not a conscious decision when making the list.

7) de Blob
Developer: Blue Tongue
Publisher: THQ

Why?: de Blob was completely off my radar until about a month ago, when I had a chance to go hands-on with the game for the first time. Now, it beats out both FF Tactics and Crystal Chronicles (two games I've been waiting over two years for) as a most anticipated title. The reason? The game has style, and it knows how to use it. That was hands-down the fastest hour long play session I've had with a game in a long, long time, and if that fresh, innovative feeling continues throughout the experience, you'll find me raving about yet another great Wii game in just a few short months. I asked during my hands-on, and I'll ask again now. THQ, please send me this game!

6) ASH
Developer: Racjin

Why?: Most of the games on my list have been in the back of my mind for months, or in most cases, years. ASH isn't one of those games. Flying completely under my radar for the last few months, Archaic Sealed Heat was shown to me just a few days ago, and its mix of beautiful visuals, strategy/RPG design, and stunning character design drew me in. The mix of high-poly 3D model work and 2D backdrops for battle sequences makes this one a technically impressive package, and if the gameplay and story can satisfy, ASH is going to own my life. For a guy that prides himself of being a FPS and Action gamer, there sure are a lot of RPGs on my list this year.

5) Dragon Quest IX: Protectors of the Sky
Developer: Level-5

Why?: Believe me when I say this wasn't on purpose. Yet another Square title, and yet another RPG. It's hard to ignore a title as significant as Dragon Quest IX though, as Square Enix is again showing its devotion to Nintendo's handled by bringing not just some spin-off DQ title to the system, but the next official game in the main series. After last year's PS2 offering, the company announced that IX would be done on DS as the primary platform. I haven't played it, but I'm a huge Dragon Quest fan, and if Level-5 is serious about bringing the true DQ experience to DS, we're in for a treat.

4) Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword

Why?: Ninja Gaiden was another game that I literally begged the publisher to leave behind when they stopped by for a demo visit. Some people may have a gripe or two about the all-touch control (hell, I was one of those people in Phantom Hourglass),but with Ninja Gaiden's book form presentation and crisp gameplay I instantly fell in love with it. The demo was about three minutes long, and I literally played through it about six or seven times simply because it felt great. The controls all work, it's one of the prettiest games on DS, and it's a perfect action game to play for a few minutes, throw into sleep mode, and then break out again a few minutes later.

3) King's Story
Genre: Simulation
Developer: Cing Inc.
Publisher: Marvelous Interactive

Why?: King's Story – also referred to as Project O – is giving me that same feeling as Zack & Wiki did last year. The game has an amazing spirit, and really opens up a truly unique world for players to explore, and the combination of interesting (and not totally understood yet, admittedly) gameplay and beautiful visuals make it a perfect candidate for Wii. Will it be a blockbuster smash hit? There's almost no chance, as games like these fall to the wayside very quickly. Still, it's hard to turn away a game with such soul, and look forward to getting my hands on it as soon as possible. It's one part Pikmin, one part Harvest Moon, and its style and attitude is perfect for Wii. Here's hoping this one turns out great.

2) Mario Kart Wii

Why?: After a somewhat duller experience with Mario Kart Double Dash (though still extremely fun, in my opinion), I was blown away with Nintendo's offering of Mario Kart DS. I loved it the first time I played it, I raced online for months after release, and I still play it now. Mario Kart Wii seems to be based off the success of the DS game, as you can tell Nintendo has gone more of a pure route, keeping it one racer to a car, while still allowing a ton of diversity in vehicles, old/new tracks, and characters. Online battle mode is a plus, but I do have to say Reggie's claim that "Now a first-time Mario Kart player will be able to stay bumper to bumper with a veteran." has me a bit worried. Mairo Kart walks a very tight line between being arcade-like can accessible, but go too far and you'll lose the pure fun of the game. Mario Kart isn't about "Everyone's a winner." It's about "Bozon just smoked you with an amazing green shell shot, and is currently sitting pretty in first place."

Genre: Kicking Ass

Why?: Nintendo gave us a chance to play two full days of Smash Bros late last year, and it was the best and worst experience I've had in a long time. On one hand, I had a chance to sit down with what is easily my most anticipated game on Wii, period. On the other, flying back to sunny California after that was like having a newborn ripped from a mother's arms. While Casamassina was checking out Galaxy, I was playing Smash. While people were eating lunch, I was playing smash. While all the Nintendo PR reps were asleep in their comfy hotel beds, I was breaking into the demo area and playing Smash. There's a pattern here. I like to play Smash.

Nintendo. Give me my game back.

Other Games Worth Noting: Since Nintendo is more protective of its secrets than that fat dude with an M4 guarding Area 51 (I think his name was Rick), we really don't know what's on the horizon for 2008 yet. Hopefully Nintendo does, because we're missing a few key titles this year as far as numbers go. We've got games like Wii Fit, a small hint at Pikmin 3, and the possibility of Animal Crossing which, if I was a betting man, I'd say is hitting late this year, with a possible delay into 2009. We're still a far cry from the mass of games Nintendo had in 2007 though, so expect mass information (including info on a kick ass revitalized franchise, which we totally can't talk about) around E3. As for what we do know is on the way, I'd consider myself amply psyched for We Love Golf, Castle of Shikigami 3 (killer arcade shooter), Disaster: Day of Crisis, SEGA Superstars Tennis, Top Spin Wii, the possibility of another MLB Power Pros, Madden 09, Rock Band Wii, Samba De Amigo, Wii Fit, Boom Blox, LEGO Batman/Indiana Jones, Monster Lab, Medal of Honor Heroes 3 (EA-willing), a chance at a new Tony Hawk or SSX using the Wii Balance Board, and hopefully something fresh from the Capcom team – Z-Dub 2 or exclusive Resident Evil based off the RE4 engine, I'm looking your direction. If you haven't noticed yet, Wii is getting pretty popular. I'm pretty sure we'll keep busy in 2008…

http://wii.ign.com/articles/847/847718p1.html

I never knew they were making a Wii version of Assassin's Creed.
It's funny how all three have SSBB as their number 1.

thats probably the ds version you lookes at. its called altairs chronicals

Theres no doubt we will be busy playing games in 2008.

Games I am most excited for:
Animal Crossing, Disaster Day Of Crisis, Wii Fit, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart, Okami and Bully. There are other games I want to play, but the ones listed are what I am really looking forward to.

vashivihan said:
thats probably the ds version you lookes at. its called altairs chronicals

Yeah, I didn't read all of it.:tard:

Well, hopefully this year of gaming will be better than the last.

i want my mario kart, ssbb, and house of the dead.

oh, and another zelda. but that might just be wishful thinking :scared:

Well, no surprises here. I find it sad that half the titles are obscure titles that the reviewers know little about but sound neat and MAY come out sometime this year. Is there really that little coming out?

Atomheart said:
Well, no surprises here. I find it sad that half the titles are obscure titles that the reviewers know little about but sound neat and MAY come out sometime this year. Is there really that little coming out?

The only game that they are really unsure about coming out this year is Animal Crossing. And there is more than just 10 games coming out this year for the Wii clearly, and Nintendo hasn't told us everything that is coming out this year. Plus E3 will give us insight on what we should be seeing next year. Also, its their most anticipated, its a list. Sorry they don't know every single detail about all the games coming out, but uh..I think thats the thing with most games. We don't know all the details of the game until we play it, we just get the gist of it.

CantGetAWii said:
The only game that they are really unsure about coming out this year is Animal Crossing. And there is more than just 10 games coming out this year for the Wii clearly, and Nintendo hasn't told us everything that is coming out this year. Plus E3 will give us insight on what we should be seeing next year. Also, its their most anticipated, its a list. Sorry they don't know every single detail about all the games coming out, but uh..I think thats the thing with most games. We don't know all the details of the game until we play it, we just get the gist of it.

They also know little to nothing about the Sonic Chronicles game as well as Disaster (which is strange as it's been in production for like 15 years now or something).

My top games in order

10: Bully

9: Destroy all Humans! Big Willy Unleashed

8: Wii Music

7: 1701 AD

6: Iron Man

5: The Incredible Hulk

4: Star Wars: Force Unleashed

3 1/2: Mortal Kombat (next-Gen)

3: Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins

2 1/2: Mario Kart

2: Disaster: Day of Crisis