Internet Connection Help....

K-Linerz

WiiChat Member
May 29, 2007
Manchester
Hello all....
Im proud owner of a new Wii. :ciappa:

I work for my broadband company Virgin Media (previously NTL/Telewest)

My internet connection is from Coxial Cable > Cable Mode > Cable Modem to PC via USB.
I "thought" I would be ok connecting the USB Cable from the Cable modem to the USB on the Wii and would connect as it is direct connection, however it didnt work.

Whats the best thing to get to have wireless?

I want to keep my connection exactly the same going to the PC (above in bold) but cant you get something that plugs into the PC and uses the internet connection going to the pc and transmit Wireless?!
Im not that much in the know about wireless.

Also, are these wireless things complicated to set up?

Any help muchly appreciated.

You can buy the LAN adapter,

I think you plug the usb from your modem into the LAN adapter and then the LAN adapter connects to the back of the wii via usb

I think that will work :)

Or, You can get the Nintendo DS Wifi USB [Works with Wii]
It plugs into the USb of your PC and the Wii picks it up like a wireless router

The easiest solution I see to your problem right now would be getting a router or something but since you dont want to change your setup and they can be complicated if you dont knwo how

Like above I recommend using a USB wireless internet accessory for the wii bescially you plug it in your PC and it transmits wireless internet to your wii, im not sure which region you live in but here in Canada they sell em at best buy

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Wi-Fi_USB_Connector
information about the usb connector

2. http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10085551&catid=24356
Store which sells it (Canada)

3. http://www.wiigamin.com/nintendo-wi-fi-usb-connector-review
Product review

hope i have been helpful

By the sound of your set up you have two choices.

Purchase a USB Wifi dongle, Gamestation was selling these a few months ago. The only downside to this is that you need your computer switched on all the time when you want to play your Wii online.

The other method, and the one that I used was to purchase the Wii LAN adapter and a five port switch. Connect the ethernet cable running under my floorboards to the router into that, then connect a second cable from the switch to my PC.

A third cable then runs from the switch, into the LAN adapter which connects to the Wii via its USB port. Beauty of this is I don't need the PC on to go online with my Wii, just the switch. Only downside is it isn't wireless.

I think my best bet is to get the USB Dongle then.

Thanks all for your help.

Once ive installed the Dongle into the PC, whats the next step? Do I just run the setup on Wii to connect to wireless and thats it?

yup you're good to go

you need to install software (i think) included

and as the person mentioned before you have to have your computer on all if you want internet access on your wii

ALSO*** Nintendo Wi-Fi USB does not work if certain anti-spyware software is installed on the computer.
***only supports windows (in case you've a mac, unlikely?)
***does not work with an AOL connection ( i wonder why?)
***and finally some users have complained of device overheating though not likely

Last edited:
Ok thanks so much.
Ordered a dongle last night so should have access to the WiiWeb within a couple days.
Thanks again for all your help :)

Hi k linerz,
just a quick note to say i had a simaler problem with not wanting to change my set up and went for the usb.

I have the dongle installed (the software you get wif the dongle does it for you) dead easy really.

Just make sure you got your firewalls turned off and that you DO NOT put in the wi fi dongle untill the instilation tell you to!!

Also get the nintendo one.... it's gives a very good connection all the time!! Good luck!

Was thinking of getting a Wi-fi router and Sky broadband to play Mario Strikers online.

Does anyone know if it's possible to take the Wii online without a home PC in other word if I get the router can it be set-up to recognise the Wii and allow me to play?

rabdoo said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to take the Wii online without a home PC in other word if I get the router can it be set-up to recognise the Wii and allow me to play?

hmmm..

could be difficult.

it depends whether the router has various security features enabled
out of the box.

most don't, but some do.

personally, i would connect the router to a "wired" pc first and configure
the wireless side of things once an internet connection has been established.
next, you can configure the router to filter (wireless) MAC addresses and
also incorporate WPA-TKIP (or AES) encryption.

iirc, the Sky routers are netgear branded and as such are very easy to
set-up, although i'm not entirely sure what can be changed due to the
fact that Sky will have changed the default firmware to one of their own
firmware variants.

the routers which offer no security out if the box are easy to connect to.
simply set-up a wireless connection within the Wii settings and browse
for an access point, find your router and click connect.

but, please remember that any tom, dick or harry will also be able to do
the same thing.....it's always important to secure your network.

here's a question for fr3344ll is there any way of safley playing with the wi fi dongle on? This of course means fire wall is down. Is there any way of using the firewall temporarely so that i can play with out fear?

I use Mcafee as the internet security thingy?

gizzavii said:
here's a question for fr3344ll is there any way of safley playing with the wi fi dongle on? This of course means fire wall is down. Is there any way of using the firewall temporarely so that i can play with out fear?

gizzavii,

is there an option within the mcafee software which allows the entering
of "trusted" network / pc's?

i've never used mcafee so i'm unsure as to whether it can be done.

see, in zone alarm, there's a firewall "rule" which can be modified to
allow a bunch of different computers to connect to the network.

basically, all you need to do is either:

1. enter the IP address of the Wii into this trusted zone, or
2. enter a range of IP's which cover your network, i.e. 192.168.1.1:192.168.1.50

next, you would reduce the LAN side security to "medium" to allow
ICS to function.

there's probably a similar thing going on with mcafee, but as mentioned
i've never used it so i could just be talking ****.

have a look, it won't break anything if you don't change it!!

cool cool!!! Nice 1..... P.s are u playin strikers charged??

FR3344LL said:
personally, i would connect the router to a "wired" pc first and configure the wireless side of things once an internet connection has been established. next, you can configure the router to filter (wireless) MAC addresses and also incorporate WPA-TKIP (or AES) encryption.

Figured this might be the case, that is probably still do able as I'm sure I could get a laptop home from work and do the initial set-up.

Thanks for the help.

gizzavii said:
cool cool!!! Nice 1..... P.s are u playin strikers charged??

i haven't got it at the mo'....way too busy trying to get through
Zelda Twighlight Princess (and loving it immensely).

i'm a little unsure whether or not i'd like MSC tbh, i was more
used to playing PES6 on the 360.

mind you...i'm a bit pissed with football, what with the Baggies
losing the play off final against Derby......

Back