is a certain SD card needed? i hear it effects wireless

iamspanky

WiiChat Member
Dec 6, 2006
Wii Online Code
3173-0999-7433-6482
I remember reading somewhere that some people are having problems with certain SD card companies and it is effecting their wireless connection.

Anyone out there bought an SD card that effects the Wii in a negative way? What are those companies names?

Also if you have a SD card that works flawlessly, what are those company names?

Let's help each other out and make sure non of us Wii-owners get stuck buying a crappy SD card!!

***NOTE
im thinking about buying a 1gb kingston sd card for cheap on buy.com
http://bensbargains.net/category/33

that's a site to a bunch of cheap SD cards. what do you guys think?

Not I. I have a 1GB Dane - Elec that I got for $10 after MIR at Office Depot. No Problems.

Does anyone know if "high performance" SD cars work better on the Wii? I don't want to buy a lower end one and then have laggy games or anything. Also, about how much space does one virtual console game take up? Thanks for any input.

Oh, and I don't mean to hijack your thread or anything, I just thought that this would be relevant and useful. :smilewinkgrin:

I have a 2 Gig Sd card from SanDisk. Works fine. Only paid 12 dollars for it.Got it the day after thanksgiving.

OK, a few things to get straight:
1. All SD cards are the same, anything that is going to call itself an SD card has to fit specific standards to ensure that they will work (and if you open up any off-brand card, you'll see almost all chips are made by sandisk)
2. Games don't know the SD card exists (save for MP3 playback in ExciteTruck), it won't affect your gameplay, you online performance, or anything else.
3. An SD card is not vital to your Wii's existance. Unless you plan on downloading a whole lot of virtual console games, the only use for it is the photo channel. There is plenty of memory for game saves on board.

i just use a 256 MB SanDisk Brand i bough like a year ago from wal-mart and it works fine....

i have a 4gb sd on the way, plan to xfer music and stuff onto it // movies also since there is a wii movie converter ^_^... i bought the 4gb as well incase i start dling more and more VCs as they are introduced/launched

I have not heard anything about SD cards reducing the performance of anything in the wii, however i guess reading and checking the card may delay loading a little but i cant see a reason, but unless you plan to have big files e.g. movies, lots of music, then you dont really need one as an essential its more of a luxury :crazy:

SD cards can't affect internet connection. The only thing the speed of the SD card matters for is the photo channel and copying files onto the card. Some are faster than others. It shouldn't have any other effect on the Wii itself, the games, or the internet.

regarding why i asked the wireless connection...

i was reading the threads for problems connecting with the wireless in wiichat and some people said that when they had their sd cards inserted, it wouldn't connect and when they unplugged it, it connected.

i mean it could've been that inaddition to unplugging the sd card they may have configured other settings in their routers but i just wanted to ask the community to be sure. i guess sometimes you read these threads over and over when trying to fix a problem, you get kind of paranoid of other problems that might occur. i just read it somewhere so thank you everyone for clearing this fact up with the wii-owner community.

i appreciate the input!

** btw 1gb kingston sd cards from buy.com is $6 w/ free shipping and using google checkout http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202743519&adid=17662

and also, if there are going to be mods coming out for the wii to transport movies and play them on the wii, im a wait til i see a 4gb sd card for cheap

A question

Any of you know if a memory stick can be used????
or is there such thing as an adapter?
ASD.jpg

mini sd with adapter works ive tried it. my question is i dont have internet but my cousin has it with his wii. if i want to download games to play on mine do i have to bring my wii too his house or i can i just bring my sd card and save them??

BeantownTc said:
mini sd with adapter works ive tried it. my question is i dont have internet but my cousin has it with his wii. if i want to download games to play on mine do i have to bring my wii too his house or i can i just bring my sd card and save them??

you'll have to bring your Wii I believe. I'm pretty sure that VC games are tied to the console it's downloaded on.

Back