Is there a device that can allow my NTSC Wii to play on a PAL TV?

Vanquish23

Supahstar
May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Wii Online Code
8617-4848-0755-6983
Is there a device that can allow my NTSC Wii to play on a PAL TV?

I ask this because I will be leaving the country for half a year, and alas I cannot survive this time without my Wii. Unfortunately, where I will be going only has PAL TV's, so does anyone know if such a device exists? If so, what is it called and where can I find it.

Thanks.

An NTSC wii (or DVD player, or anything) will not simply play on a PAL TV, the video is not the same. Your best bet is to bring an NTSC TV with you, then all you need is a 220V to 110V converter.

You might be able to find a computer monitor that also accepts the HDTV inputs (Component) or just get a converter that changes the component to RGB (which works on most RGB monitors). I use this one to connect my Wii to a computer projector. http://www.x2vga.com/

I know you can buy VCR's that will play both PAL and NTSC videos, You might be able to find a TV that accepts both as well. Alot of new Camcorders will work on both systems, so there has got to be some electronic converter out there. A simple google search came up with many options, but most in the $200 - $300 range.

If your TV is more than about 10 years old you will need a converter. If its pretty new you will be fine. My PAL tv plays my PS2's NTSC games fine without the need for anything else.

Hmm, thanks for the information thus far. Unfortunately I can't bring any TV on this 6-month hiatus, 'cause I'm going merely for employment training. The TV is provided to us in the room they give us. Hopefully, it'll support NTSC.

Sorry I am not very technical, but are you talking about brining a device you bought in the US to Europe? I did just that and just bought a new cable to hook my wii into my TV (RCA cables don't work here). I get a signal and picture, but everything is red and black. Maybe I will try tonight to hook it in through my DVD player or through my cable box to see if that helps.

TV is brand new, so I am not sure how many TVs accept both.

I'm taking a Wii, plus 2 games, all purchased in the United States, to India. India, as far as I'm concerned, does not even sell video games, oddly enough. (Just PC, and I think XBOX 360 is breaking into the market). Anyways, I know that their devices are PAL.

XXSmall, this sounds like exactly what I needed. Thanks for the link!!! I'll do my homework from here, compare prices, etc.

The video convert above has a very good price. I have 3 ways of N/P conversion at home. I have one Panasonic multi-system converter with 2-in/2-out, a Cyberhome DVR-1600 DVD recorder that can do take PAL and output NTSC (not the opposite way), and a computer that capture video with video out. If you have a laptop, you may also get a video capture device that you'll have the option to play it on your laptop or TV-out it. But that would be likely more expensive than the simple N/P converter.

Back