Japanese Wii - General Information

AlexDP

Sad Jap Wii owner
May 2, 2007
This is a thread that I think is almost desperately needed, because there are some people who have Japanese Wii's (most likely because they have no other choice) but cant find any information about Jap consoles. There are also those people who are thinking of buying a Jap console (again most likely because they have no other choice), but want to know some stuff first. Both of these cases apply to me (obviously the second one no longer applies).
So to help those people out, I'm gonna post some general info, and maybe some more detailed info later.

Facts of Interest to those planning on buying a Jap Wii:

1. The Japanese Wii has no option for English language menus. All Wii menus will be in Japanese.

2. If you have a modded Wii, and run NTSC-US games that work, the games will be in English (Sonic & the Secret Rings is a semi-exception, as you can change the language from the default Japanese to English) (Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz and Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 have only Japanese though)
  3. As long as you can get the **** WiFi working with your router (or USB WiFi adapter, or LAN adapter), you will be able to connect to the Wii's onlince service (WiiConnect24), BUT everything will be in Japanese, again with no option to switch to English.
  4. If your country's electricity voltage is 220V-230V, you'll need a decent 110V/220V transformer to be able to power the Wii up safely. Most console shops will have a transformer you can buy. If you just use a plug converter to change the type of plug, you'll burn your console, as those converters dont change the voltage.
  5. NTSC-J is almost identical to NTSC-US in terms of video output, which basically means you will have no problems whatsoever plugging an NTSC-J console to an NTSC-US compliant display device (eg. NTSC TV). In case of PAL TVs, I havent tried but most likely it wont work. The solution for PAL regions is to use a multi-system TV which are actually quite widely available.
  6. A couple of NTSC-US games have failed to work on modded NTSC-J console, most importantly the three most recent releases: Heatseeker, Legend of the Dragon and Spider-man 3. There are also some 4 other games that havent worked, but considering the other 46 games released work, its a pretty good ratio. For the full listing check http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php/Wii_Region_Free_Patcher_Compatibility_List
  7. NTSC-US GameCube games all seem to work, I've tested a fair number of them. The exceptions are Star Fox Adventures which works, but is only in Japanese (the option to change to English is not available when the game is loaded in Japanese :mad2: ) and Star Fox Assault which boots up to a black screen (I've burnt each 3-4 times already...). The PAL version of Star Fox Adventures doesnt have Japanese on the disc at all, so theoretically if you could get it to boot you should be able to play in English. It's really a shame those two dont work because they're good games... Star Wars: Clone Wars also boots but shows a neverending loading screen, this might just be a bad burn though.

Info for Jap Wii owners:
Some important info is there in the above points so it would probably be a good idea to read through those first...
  1. The latest firmware version, as far as I know is 2.2J (if anyone else knows of a newer version please let us know)
  2. Super Paper Mario - NTSC-USA is said to work on Japanese consoles and PAL consoles without bricking (breaking) the consoles IF AND ONLY IF the firmware version is 2.2J (or 2.2E for Euro consoles)
  3. The above point applies to ALL first-party (Nintendo) games (regardless of region) released after Super Paper Mario (USA).
  4. Big Brain Academy: Wii Edition, can semi-brick consoles even if they have firmware version 2.2J/E/U, resulting in not being able to enter the Wii setup menu.
  5. A program has been released that removes updates from discs, therefore preventing any possibility of bricking. The program name is WiiBrickBlocker, and it is available here: http://www.wii-addict.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2017

More to come later...
Please feel free to post any other information that may be of use...
Thanks.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, theres no patch yet. We'll have to wait and hope.

Since you speak of a firmware, I assume somehow its possible to upgrade the Japanese Wii to a US Wii through a flashing of the firmware from another region, or at least somehow incorporate a language pack?

I got a Nokia N95 set meant for the Middle Eastern market with built-in restrictions. Since the newer Nokia sets are firmware upgradeable, all it took was some Googling and I downloaded a software that lets me change the region code, after which I proceeded to upgrade the firmware to that of the European region. Now I enjoy a totally unlocked N95!

I am stuck with a Japanese Wii because a very dear friend sent me one as a gift, and now I am only hoping that a firmware upgrade would somehow solve the language problem. It sucks not to be able to utilize your possessions completely.

I say this with no hard feelings but edit your post and user description because "Jap" is a derogatory word

[*]If your country's electricity voltage is 220V-230V, you'll need a decent 110V/220V transformer to be able to power the Wii up safely.
Change this to suggest buying a replacement power adapter. There are many available from third parties and they even look like the real thing except are compatible with any voltage! This is a random example http://www.ebest24.com/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products_id=1422

[*]Super Paper Mario - NTSC-USA is said to work on Japanese consoles and PAL consoles without bricking (breaking) the consoles
This is not specific to SPM. In fact ANY game from US/Europe and even the rest of asia can brick the Wii if its not updated!

The problem is that Nintendo has a ssshhhhhiiiittttyyyyy way to detect current firmware version. I mean the problem is completely idiotic on their part. Whoever developed the on disc update routine must have just learned to program. Even I know that multiple checks should be done before a "firmware" flash including if the image is applicable. The Wii reports its region type in the fu*king version number, 2.2J for example, but they ignore it and rely only on the region locking code of the disc itself! It boggles my mind

Can you tell I'm angry about it?

Last edited:
ciper said:
The problem is that Nintendo has a ssshhhhhiiiittttyyyyy way to detect current firmware version. I mean the problem is completely idiotic on their part. Whoever developed the on disc update routine must have just learned to program. Even I know that multiple checks should be done before a "firmware" flash including if the image is applicable. The Wii reports its region type in the fu*king version number, 2.2J for example, but they ignore it and rely only on the region locking code of the disc itself! It boggles my mind

So does that mean that it CAN'T be upgraded via flashing? I don't quite follow your meaning.

ciper said:
I say this with no hard feelings but edit your post and user description because "Jap" is a derogatory word

Change this to suggest buying a replacement power adapter. There are many available from third parties and they even look like the real thing except are compatible with any voltage! This is a random example http://www.ebest24.com/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products_id=1422

This is not specific to SPM. In fact ANY game from US/Europe and even the rest of asia can brick the Wii if its not updated!

-Regarding the abbreviation JAP or Jap, I really dont see it necessary, as I'm not intending any insult, it is merely used the same way Nintendo themselves label their Japanese skus and products.
-As for the power issue, I really wouldnt recommend getting a replacement power adapter... Why discard the original and use something else? Better use the original and just adjust the voltage... Thats just my opinion though.
-regarding the bricking issue, you're right, it's just that I posted this post before any of the later games came with the firmware updates. The full explanation is that all first-party (nintendo) games will have firmware updates, so before putting in a game from nintendo, just make sure you've updated your Wii using WiiConnect24. (Big Brain Academy also semi-bricks Wiis, even if they're already updated... That I have no explanation for, other than, why would you even want to play that? :) )

Last edited:
dark-black said:
So does that mean that it CAN'T be upgraded via flashing? I don't quite follow your meaning.
No, that doesnt mean it can be switched to the English US firmware. He's merely stating a fact that should have been obvious for Nintendo, which is: They should check the current firmware version AND the firmware region. Just checking 2.2=2.2 isnt enough, they of all people should know that, considering they made the Wii and its firmware versioning (J=JAP, U=USA, E=EUR)
Then again, I guess the (falsely) assumed that you wouldnt be running a disc from a one region on a console from a different region... Bad assumption and bad form if you ask me...

AlexDP said:
-Regarding the abbreviation JAP or Jap, I really dont see it necessary, as I'm not intending any insult, it is merely used the same way Nintendo themselves label their Japanese skus and products.
Can you double check? I would be surprised that it isnt JPN or JP. Jap hasn't been acceptable since at least WWII. Both Japanese and Western dictionaries both list it as an insult.

I realize you are in Australia where it may not be considered bad but the entire rest of the world thinks so. Why go against the grain?

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=jap&word2=jpn

AlexDP said:
-As for the power issue, I really wouldnt recommend getting a replacement power adapter... Why discard the original and use something else? Better use the original and just adjust the voltage... Thats just my opinion though.
Because its inefficient and costs more? The Wii only needs a 12.5 volt 3.7 amp input which is really easy to create (amp volt ratings are a guess)

Last edited:
dreamcastninja said:
I'm tired of cultural sensitivity. If you're a jap, then you're a jap. It's that simple. Damn nips.
Haha I actually agree with you :lol:
JPN is still the more appropriate abbreviation

(still laughing about your post) Rep'd!

Back