Madden 07 with Component Cable problem

blank

WiiChat Member
Dec 7, 2006
Hey everyone, I am new to this forum and I tried searching the forums but could not find an answer, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed. I also tried going to EASports website, which is totally unhelpful.

I finally got component cables for my Wii and hooked it up to my HDTV, I made all the proper settings to 480p, and 16:9 aspect ratio. Every game I play on the wii looks great and takes up the entire screen except for Madden 07. It does not take up the entire screen, it has 2 black bars running up and down the left and right sides of the screen. The black bars are thin, it is not the usual black bars that appear when watching a tv show that is in 4:3. I tried going into the in game visual set up, and it is set at 16:9 which I assume is the correct setting, since it cannot be changed within the game. Is the game supposed to be displayed like this?
I mean it still plays great, and looks great too, it just bugs me about not taking up 100% of my screen.

If anyone has any ideas or can point in the right direction on figuring out how to fix this issue, it would be most appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

***UPDATE***

Here is the final response I recieved from EA tech support on 12/15/06 regarding this issue:

Thank you for contacting EASPORTS Customer Support.

Unfortunately, this was how the game was designed. In researching your issue, we also have the thin bars on our HDTV here at our location. We were unable to find settings that would fix the issue however, we were unsuccessful. I do apologize for any inconveniences.

Thank you for contacting EASPORTS Customer Support!

Brian S.
EA Customer Support

Last edited:
Maybe there will be an upgrade where those spots are filled with live sports updates.

Probably not, but that would be amazing.

Quick question Blank

How does the games look in 480i instead of 480p. My Tv has component input but does not support 480p. If the component cables help I will get some but if it still looks like composite then I wont.

I think the component cables are worth it, everything looks so much clearer and sharper. It makes a huge difference. Zelda and Wii Sports look a lot better also. I havent tried 480i with the component cables, but I am guessing it is not as good as 480p.

My tv was made in 2000 KP53XBR300 it supports 480p and looks great, but sometimes I think my wii switches back to 480i and my tv doesnt know how to handle it so the screen goes black. It only happens when I end a game and it goes to the wii menu, and also during Zelda when you are fighting to learn a new skill.

SeaHawk22 said:
My tv was made in 2000 KP53XBR300 it supports 480p and looks great, but sometimes I think my wii switches back to 480i and my tv doesnt know how to handle it so the screen goes black. It only happens when I end a game and it goes to the wii menu, and also during Zelda when you are fighting to learn a new skill.

how do you fix the problem?

ics said:
how do you fix the problem?

lol i havent.

When I go to the wii menu I just turn the power off and restart.

I got my component cables today and hooked my wii up to my week old LG 32" HDTV. I don't notice any difference in rayman but red steel looks a bit better. What concerns me is in wii sports and zelda its almost as if I can see the pixel lines from the tv when looking at Link or certain parts of the screen. The same happens for Wii sports around the faces of the Mii's. Is this my tv or the cables doing it? I'm kinda disappointed because its very distracting and makes me want to turn off the 480p. The model number of the tv I am using them with is 32lc2d from LG if anyone knows about this tv or heard things from it.

Thiis what EA tech support wrote to me, does anyone know how to adjust the settings to 720p like they suggest? Or is this just their way of saying the game does not support 480p?

Hello again,

Thank you for writing us at EA Technical Support and follwing up on yuor concern. Try changing the setting to 480i or 720p as these are resolutions supported by the game and see if either of these help. and do drop us a line to fill us in on the developments.

If you have any other questions feel free to reply to this e-mail, and I will be very glad to help you out to the best of my ability.

Should you require further assistance with this game or other Electronic Arts games in the future, please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledgebase at
http://support.ea.com/

Thank you,

Leonard B.
EA Technical Support

Thorgouge said:
I got my component cables today and hooked my wii up to my week old LG 32" HDTV. I don't notice any difference in rayman but red steel looks a bit better. What concerns me is in wii sports and zelda its almost as if I can see the pixel lines from the tv when looking at Link or certain parts of the screen. The same happens for Wii sports around the faces of the Mii's. Is this my tv or the cables doing it? I'm kinda disappointed because its very distracting and makes me want to turn off the 480p. The model number of the tv I am using them with is 32lc2d from LG if anyone knows about this tv or heard things from it.

Did you change your wii settings to 480p? Its in the wii options.

SeaHawk22 said:
Did you change your wii settings to 480p? Its in the wii options.

My settings right now are 480p. There is no setting for 720p.

that sorta sucks to hear. i should be getting my component cables any day and I was looking forward to lots of madden in progressive scan.

Here is another response from EA:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting EASPORTS Customer Support.

I do apologize for the difficulties you are experiencing with Madden NFL 07 for your Nintendo Wii gaming console. If you use aftermarket component cables you may experience thin bars on the sides. The component cables are trying to process better quality imaging and as a result shrinks the picture. Do you get these black bars with the standard component cables that came stock with the Wii? Please let me know so I may further assist you. I apologize for any inconveniences.

Thank you for contacting EASPORTS Customer Support!

Brian S.
EA Customer Support

Back