News On the Wii and DS versions of Spore

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
It seems like Will Wright and Maxis’ Spore has been in development forever, but after a number of delays and dodging of the questions regarding a release date, publisher Elecronic Arts has finally confirmed in a press release that the title will be arriving worldwide on the Nintendo DS this coming September 07. Worryingly, there was no mention of the Nintendo Wii version in the latest official detailing, but a recent interview with Wright reassures us that it is still in the pipeline.

The press release reads:

The wait is almost over,” said Maxis Chief Designer Will Wright. “We’re in our final stages of testing and polish with Spore, and the team at Maxis can’t wait to see the cosmos of content created by the community later this year.”

Spore’s premise is one that reeks of ambition, giving players the chance to shape their very own universe, from the very first life forms graduating to establishing tribes, building civilizations and populating them with vehicles, buildings and even UFOs. This can all, then, be shared with other gamers.

Asked about the Nintendo DS version of Spore, Wright told Newsweek that it was an entirely unique design, different to Spore on any of the other formats, and something that would make unique use of the DS as a platform, both control-wise and in terms of Internet Connectivity:

Players will create their own creature in the Creature Creator and then evolve this creature by making friends, defeating enemies and exploring the galaxy on a quest to find new evolutionary paths and save their home world. Along the way, they can record all the species they’ve encountered using the Spore Species Guide, trade and collect custom created creatures and earn badges for accomplishing a variety of tasks.

Wright added that the aesthetic look of Spore on the Nintendo DS will also differ to that of its counterparts, while any creatures that players create can be shared with friends, either to buddy up with or attack other gamers.

Speaking of the Nintendo Wii version, again to NewsWeek, Wright explained how the console’s motion controls were integral to the type of experience players will gain from Spore on said format:

“…What interests me about the Wii is that in some sense you have a much higher bandwith controller than you have with any other console or even a PC… it should really feel like I’m puppeteering this creature very directly, as opposed to I’m just indirectly controlling with a few buttons here and there. The rest of the design is totally going to evolve around that.

A lot of the prototyping they’ve been doing is, “How do we make you feel like you have the most control over this creature, even in a very subtle ways, by moving this controller around?” and then make the gameplay serve that…

Spore was originally a working title, suggested by developer Ocean Quigley, for the game which was first referred to by the general public as Sim Everything. Even though Sim Everything was a first choice name for Wright, the title Spore stuck. It’s development began way back in 2000, and it was eventually officially unveiled at E3 in 2005.

Given the Nintendo Wii version was not mentioned on today’s press release, we’d guess that its launch date differs to that of the Nintendo DS. As soon as we receive any further information, we’ll let you know.

Source

I'm afraid the additional delay for the Wii version will push it into 2009. :(

But this is definitely a game I'll be keeping my eye on. Anyone here used to play Black & White?

i've played spore on a friend's ps3, and i'm not so sure it's my type of game =/

unless they add clearer "objectives" to the wii version, i'll probably rent it at most.

AoWFraggit said:
i've played spore on a friend's ps3, and i'm not so sure it's my type of game =/

unless they add clearer "objectives" to the wii version, i'll probably rent it at most.

It hasn't been released yet man, I think you're thinking of Flow? You start that one as a single celled organism. Either way spore looks like it will be worth the wait.

sremick said:
I'm afraid the additional delay for the Wii version will push it into 2009. :(

But this is definitely a game I'll be keeping my eye on. Anyone here used to play Black & White?

Yeah 2009 will probably be the year we see it, I can wait though.
There is a plethora of games waiting to be played by me this year.

Sounds like we'll get the DS version around the PC release. I've been following this game for a while now and plan on buying it on release day. Glad they finally issued a date, put some new videos on their webpage and actually sent out a news letter to subscribers.

Amazon and other rumor were around March, but I think I'll be able to wait a little longer. I want to hear more about the DS version.

Back