Ntsc Pal :s

king_of_the_hill

WiiChat Member
Dec 25, 2006
Dear Wii Players :D

I have a question, next year i will go for a holiday to the united States.
I`m from Europe, and i also bought my Wii in Europe (So it`s a PAL Version).
I have also PAL Games. I know that America has NTSC and the TV have another Frequency or something.

So my Question is:

Will i be able to play Wii on American TV`s?
Will there be any Graphic Errors or something?

See you.

Aside from the possible power/frequency problems, most DVD players are region-encoded so I'm assuming the Wii is no different.

Not 100% sure on this though.

I think it's to stop us buying games and stuff that are only intended for one region.

Hate to say this, but unless you get an american wii, your screwed...
The games won't work here either

SO unless you bring an european tv with you, you'l be fine except your going to have to buy the games from across the world... ( and your gonna need to get an adapter for the power plugs)

I would say, sell your wii and games and buy em again in north america, or dont play wii during the holidays :yikes:

Last edited:
:cryin: Thoose are some really Bad News ^^

I didn`t find anything on the web about this problem.

But Plan B is still alive:
:cornut:

I will also carry my laptop with me and my External TV Card with Composite Video IN :D

Wii To External TV Card To Laptop and from the Laptop to the American TV xD
No more NTSC / Frequency Problems ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^

Wii playing can be so much fun :hand:

Are you sure about this guys.... My European Wii has an option in the screen settings to choose either 50hz, 60hz or 480pdi signals. The only problem I forsee is the power one (240v vs 110v) and maybe region protected games (if you buy some in the states).

Raz

Certain TVs will support both NTSC and PAL. In Europe it's almost a given, in America not so much. But if the TV supports Pal then sure, it'll work. So as long as you take your own games with the Wii, and the TV supports Pal you should be fine.

Hi Guys!
UNBELIEVABLE! :mad2:

Wow! Razoola is right ^^ there IS an Option where you can change between 50hz or 60hz. I haven`t seen it before ^^
The Graphic is MUCH better now, i changed it from 50 hz to 60hz!
Everybody should try it! It`s a bit sharper than before!

So i assume that the video signal output will be okay.
But there`s still the power supply problem.
But it could work. I always use my Cellphone Charger (Bought in EU)
in America (with Adapter) and it works fine. But on the Cellphone Charger i can Read: "Power Input from 100 - 240v )

I`m gonna give it a try then xD

Yea, I changed mine from 50 to 60 also... Basically at 50hz scrolling through 3D worlds are not smooth... If you have a sharp eye you can see slight stutters so the game plays at the correct speed (can notice this in the golf game very much).

Anyone with a TV that cal output 60hz should really set the Wii to 60hz.

Raz

Surely the only difference isn't frequency though ?? I mean NTSC has less lines per inch than PAL and runs at a lower image resoultion.

It's 60Hz instead of 50Hz yeah, but I'm pretty sure that's not the only difference.

Your Wii --> Laptop --> American TV solution is a classic tho :)

every TV in my house and alomost every TV ive ever hooked my modded xbox up to supports NTSC and PAL. i play PAL games on my modded xbox all the time. ive only hooked it up to 1 TV that didnt work with it and that was one that was like 12 years old

w0rked

Okay now i`m back from the United States, this is what happened:

The TV did support the PAL Wii.
The power supply Unit from the Wii also supported the 110 volt. (It does only say 240 volt on the power supply unit) I didn`t have to buy a voltage converter.

The Picture was nice on the TV but it was only in Black and white... I bought an PAL TO NTSC Converter and everything was Fine then.

Best Regards

hi

have the same problem.

May I ask how to change the 50 to 60 on the Wii?????

What Pal - NTSC converter did you buy? I have never heard of that before.
I always use the power converter for the voltage.

thanks

Have to ask this one

How do I get to change the 50 to 60 or other way around on my Wii? There is nothing to see in the menu. There is only the section for the game, internet, mii, weather... nothing about the menu to change any settings.

thanks

Back