PAL wii in the USA - HELP PLEASE!

mchantry

WiiChat Member
Feb 14, 2007
Hi, i recieved a PAL wii for christmas back in the UK but now am living in the USA. I have a mains adaptor so i can turn the wii on. However i cannot use my wii on my U.S. TV. If i bought an LDTV/EDTV/HDTV from a store here (U.S.) would my wii then work on that TV? Please answer for each of those TV formats. I need to get a new TV but dont want to waste my money if the wii still wont work on those formats. Please help ASAP!

i dont think its exaclty about it being HDTV/EDTV or not, it would be more important to have a tv set that is compatible with PAL signals..

i have played my uncles US wii here in the UK on my tv, as it can handle PAL and NTSC, so thats what you need to consider

Similarly I'm moving to Australia in a years time form the UK. Will my wii play Aus games? Both are PAL? different PAL regions though?

It's not just a question of PAL or NTSC.
Japan and North America use NTSC. Europe and Australia use PAL.
But games are coded by where you got the disc. So you can't play Japanese games on an American Wii, or European games on an Australian Wii.
This includes VC games, so you can only download games from your region.
I'm not sure how many regions there are but there are at least 4.

If you want to import a European Wii to America, you will need to get a new powerpack. Looks like you've already got that covered. You should be able to get a PAL/NTSC convertor, such as this one: http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/Misc_htm/m_pal2n.htm
(This was the first one that came up in a search. I don't know if it, or the dealer is any good).
Or alternatively, when you buy your new TV, make sure yo get one that is PAL compatible. My TV is NTSC compatible so I am able to play US Gamecube games (with a Freeloader). I don't see why it would be different the other way around.

All you need to do is to go into the Wii screen settings and change the screen type from 50hz to 60hz and your done.

Raz

BrandonMcAuslan you will be fine it should work exactly the same as it does in the UK.

The whole of Europe (UK, Spain, France, Germany etc.) are PAL countries, but the rest od the world (USA, Japan etc.) are NTSC countries, you might have to buy a PAL tv or summin i dunno.

Get a US one, compatible with the power and tv's out there. Also games released earlier, 60hz virtual console games. The Wii is cheaper, games are cheaper. Win win if you get a US one

Back