Probability that an update will arrive to support 720P ?

DMMA said:
Hooked my Wii up to my new LCD screen yesterday. 1366 * 768. With a Wii component cable. Looks like crap compared to a SD tv... Very disappointed.

I've seen this complaint a lot with Component Cables and HDs, but mine looks absolutely awesome with Comp cables in my 32" Magnavox LCD HD. I mean the picture is crystal clear and the colors are bright and vibrant. There must be some inherint explanation for the washout on some sets or with some brands of cables. My compenent cables are an a generic brand as well.

I've never had a HD tv so here is a question from someone how is a complete noob on this subject - if you have a HD tv that supports the top resolution (Whatever that may be) and the wii runs only at 480P, what does that imply? Does it mean that it wont run it or will it stretch etc...?

logansneo said:
I don't think everyone is looking far enough back to realize something very pertinant to this discussion. The Nintendo Wii is roughly as powerful as the original Xbox, agreed. And maybe even more powerful than a PS2. Both of these systems had games that ran in 720p AND 1080i (MX vs. ATV Unleashed for Xbox and Gran Turismo 4 for PS2 were both 1080i games). So why would it be impossible for the Wii to achieve resolutions that the PS2 and Xbox were able to output?
im not sure how powerful the wii is, but i know for sure that the gamecube beat the crap out of ps2 with power, graphics wise AND that most games made for the xbox also didnt stand up to the cubes graphics in such games are resident evil 4 and zero.

DMMA said:
Hooked my Wii up to my new LCD screen yesterday. 1366 * 768. With a Wii component cable. Looks like crap compared to a SD tv... Very disappointed. Thinking a BIG SD plasma might be the go for Wii and any other SD stuff (dvds etc)...

Oh well.

DMMA

I hooked up the Nintendo component cables to a 60" LCD and got really bad results. There are a lot of pixelated artifacts. Is this common for large sets?

My Samsung 32inch HDTV looks great with the component cables. I guess it also depends on your HDTV if it has a good upscaler or crapy upscaler. From what I know, you get what you pay for when regarding HDTV w/720p or 1080p. In other words, if it sucks your HDTV sucks :D .

fewfirstchoice said:
my wii looks great on my 52 inch hdtv,no complaints at all from me.

Which component cables are you using? I hardly doubt it's the tv, it's a sony 60xbr plasma. Perhaps my nintendo brand component cables are faulty.

the main thing to point out here is that higher resolution doesn't always mean better graphics. I know we all want to see the Wii with the best graphics possible, and, we will. But bumping the resolution up only sharpens edges, I'd much rather the Wii's power was put to work on textures and draw distances than sharper edges. Anyway, take a look at some of the last gen GC stuff, then think to yourself 'twice as powerful' if your still not excited by what the Wii will be able to do graphically, sell it and go buy a 360. RE4 still looks better than most 360 games.

I have my Wii connected with component cables to a Samsung 52" 1080p TV and the picture is stunning! Had no problems with picture quality - ever.

The Video Card in a Game system controls screen size. Since Nintendo was not proactive, they stuck with a 480p/480i Video card, which cannot be updated.

I think it strains the system to output higher resolutions. Try to play a PC game at 640x480 and compare the FPS with playing it at 1280x1024

The video card can support 720p but it depends on Nintendo if they want to release a firmware to support it. If the Wii does support 720p the games would push less Poloygon per seconds plus have less effects. For example a old ATI 7000 video card with 32MB of Ram can do 720p but can't with games that complex. The ATI 7000 card is slightly faster then a N64.

Back