PSP vs. DS

Jun 22, 2007
USA
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
No PSP forum so....

I just wanted to hear your opinions on why the PSP is better or the DS is better. I have a DS, but it's kind of worn and breaking, so I wanted to hear your opinions of whether I should buy a PSP or a DS. I searched and could find minimal about it. I'm into shooters, but not too bloody, and racing games are pretty good. Any opinions? Also do you need a memory card for the PSP? I don't really know much about it...

Last edited:
i had a PSP and i didnt like it that much. yes u get a memory card with it but only small 32MB me thinks. the psp is good for other media such as videos n such, which i found good until i realised what a waste of time it was, if i want to watch sum vids i can go on my pc. the games for the psp are pretty poo, i cant think of 1 game which is worth spending £20 on.
i now have a DS lite and find it a lot more entertaining as the games are more entertaining, the ds is meant for games, if you wanna watch vids or look at pics, get an ipod video theres no need for them on a GAMES console.

i am not a nintendo fanboy otherwise i wouldnt of HAD a psp, so before anyone is like WTF OMFG OMG OFGMDN and woteva, its just my opinion

Yea I had a DS and loved it - until wifi wouldn't work anymore. I know what it is too, and I can't fix it. Anyway, I was just looking maybe for some more realistic games such as medal of honor and star wars battlefront. Maybe Ratchet Clank, and MLB something. Anyway thanks for your opinion. Much Apreciated.

well most of the PSP games are rips off the ps2, the graphics wont look too great and realistic, everyone says that the PSP has equal graphics to PS2 but they dont, the picture is sharp, so sharp that it makes some things look very blocky and bad. if you want games get a DS, if you want media get a ipod video, if you want a ps1 and a 1/2 get a PSP, also the battery lif is pretty poor. dont know about the new one though

I have both, but don't really like either of them. The PSP hardly has any good games, but I probably use it more, just for the internet and other multimedia functions. The DS has more good games than the PSP, but there still aren't a huge amount of them that appeal to me.

paintba||er said:
I have both, but don't really like either of them. The PSP hardly has any good games, but I probably use it more, just for the internet and other multimedia functions. The DS has more good games than the PSP, but there still aren't a huge amount of them that appeal to me.

What games do you recommend on the PSP if any? Or which ones are just decent?

manufan15 said:
What games do you recommend on the PSP if any? Or which ones are just decent?

i had GTA, liberty city stories, i got some enjoyment out of that but the controls are awful and really make your thumbs ache.
the warriors is an awesome game too but its on the ps2 too for half the price

Well when it comes to media functions, a lot of people confuse the PSP for a home console. Yes you can go to a PC and watch movies or listen to music but the same can be said for an iPod. Why get an iPod when the PC holds a lot more songs? Its mobile.

I truly love my PSP cause i visit friends and family often, its the best portable i have. I also have mine homebrew ready, which makes it that much better then the DS.

Theres nothing wrong with porting PS2 games. Nintendo is doing it with the Wii and GC. Best games on Wii are currently GC ports.

Look at it as something to take with you, not sit at home and play. Thats what a lot of people are missing when it comes to the PSP.

GamerCon said:
Well when it comes to media functions, a lot of people confuse the PSP for a home console. Yes you can go to a PC and watch movies or listen to music but the same can be said for an iPod. Why get an iPod when the PC holds a lot more songs? Its mobile.

I truly love my PSP cause i visit friends and family often, its the best portable i have. I also have mine homebrew ready, which makes it that much better then the DS.

Theres nothing wrong with porting PS2 games. Nintendo is doing it with the Wii and GC. Best games on Wii are currently GC ports.

Look at it as something to take with you, not sit at home and play. Thats what a lot of people are missing when it comes to the PSP.

What does homebrew ready mean? Is it like the R4DS?

The PSP is perfect for those who want a blackberry but want to ruin any chance they have of losing their virginity!

The DS! I mean you cant play Zelda and Dragon Quest on the PSP....so **** that

manufan15 said:
What does homebrew ready mean? Is it like the R4DS?
I know little about the R4DS cause i think its stupid. But in a way it is and its not even close. The R4DS is a way to get music on the DS, correct? If you want music on your hand held, get a PSP :yesnod:

The way its not even close is you dont need all that stuff the R4DS has. You just put emulators on the memory stick and play games off it. Since the PSP is quite a little system, it can run anything up to PSX. Even N64 games are being emulated at full speed.

Homebrew ready means without the need of accessories, i can freely play any game compatable for the PSP with emulators.

GamerCon said:
I know little about the R4DS cause i think its stupid. But in a way it is and its not even close. The R4DS is a way to get music on the DS, correct? If you want music on your hand held, get a PSP :yesnod:

The way its not even close is you dont need all that stuff the R4DS has. You just put emulators on the memory stick and play games off it. Since the PSP is quite a little system, it can run anything up to PSX. Even N64 games are being emulated at full speed.

Homebrew ready means without the need of accessories, i can freely play any game compatable for the PSP with emulators.

The R4DS lets you download any in store game for free on your PC. It's probably illegal and I don't have it, I just hear people who have it.

PSP is pretty weak actually. the graphics do look very good for a portable, but since the games they try to port over are usually shooters, and the control scheme is just terrible, its not that good. UMD's and pretty much dead in the market right now, so its not looking very good for it. the new PSP Lite isn't anything near what was needed, so im pretty sure the PSP is going to die soon.

im not a fanboy, DS has many issues too, but it takes advantage of what its good at (touchscreen and fun minigames, with the occasional good shooter.)

FWELR said:
PSP is pretty weak actually. the graphics do look very good for a portable, but since the games they try to port over are usually shooters, and the control scheme is just terrible, its not that good. UMD's and pretty much dead in the market right now, so its not looking very good for it. the new PSP Lite isn't anything near what was needed, so im pretty sure the PSP is going to die soon.

im not a fanboy, DS has many issues too, but it takes advantage of what its good at (touchscreen and fun minigames, with the occasional good shooter.)
Well the DS Lite wasnt even close to and improvment. The DS Phat was dying and they needed to save it. Its got nothing new, just smaller. At least the PSP is trying to get better.

Back