Replace the Sensor bar with Candles!

You know guys I have tried it....it works almost better :lol:
It is kind of stange though.....well its good to know there are plenty of ideas incase your sensor bar breaks!

can someone give a good explanation to this beside the candles making the dang thing brighter?

intekmdma said:
can someone give a good explanation to this beside the candles making the dang thing brighter?

all the bar is doing is sending out infrared signals to help the wiimote figure out where its infrared beam is shooting(its basicalyl liket he duck hunt gun but more complex) and since anything emits IR almost anything will work, i made a quick video showing the IR lights inside the sensor bar.

YouTube - Nintendo Wii Sensor Bar

intekmdma said:

The wiimote is just a camera with an IR filter in front of it that is constantly scanning the image for two bright spots. The 'sensor' bar is just made of IR LEDs sitting on each end. All you need is two sources of IR light appropriately spaced to replace the bar. When you go to the sensitivity adjustment screen you are seeing the camera image in real-time, and can play with other IR light sources like candles, tv remote controls, etc.

btcollier said:
HAH! Wow, that's unexpected! Well, not really now that I think about it, but who comes up with these things? Did someone just get this random inspiration to use candles as a sensor?

Nah, they just knew how the sensor bar worked and knew that since the candles heat could work in ohmost the same sense that it would work.

Wow... the medieval solution for people who don't know how to make their own homebrew sensor bar. :lol:

Weebs said:
Nah, they just knew how the sensor bar worked and knew that since the candles heat could work in ohmost the same sense that it would work.

It's not the candles heat. Light sources naturally emit infrared rays. It just isn't a purely concentrated IR sourced like IR leds. The only problem with using candles is that it would most definitely have to be dark.

I posted this a few times. And to the naysayers, it is real, and candles are actually more acurate in a dark room than the sensor bar. All the sensor bar does is emit two beams of IR light to "more accurately" know where the controller is in a 3D spectrum. And as most of us know, IR is probably one of the OLDEST wireless technologies around. Nintendo just used it in a new way and got away with it.

Don't know if anyone on here watches "Attack of the Show" on G4 (I do every night) but they did this live last night in a very bright room too. If I can find the video i'll post it.

that is totaly cool! that would fix my issue with the wii! I have been waiting on a sensor bar with a longer cord... so that I can use the wii with my projector unit!

I also can confirm that it works, i brought my Wii home for thanksgiving and forgot my sensor bar. so i just thought about what else emits IR, pretty much everything especially natural light. so i gave it a shot. works like a charm.

Back